I want your attention

IlanaSense

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
...................And opinion....Duh!

According to this article: http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/fe...Hard+Work+is+Dead.+Call+It+Work+Ethic+2.0.htm

When the "information age" started replacing the "industrial age," hard work seemed more important than ever. Until the 1980s, to use a computer was to program it. Silicon Valley corporate culture, from tiny startups to the massive Googleplex, emphasizes long hours and feverish work. But since the turn of the new millennium, the nature of work has evolved to the point where hard work is becoming less important to a successful work ethic than another, more useful value: attention.

==============================

don't fall asleep on me yet!

==============================

The company I work for aims to solve the problem of data overload and directs your attention to the info that's most important to you.
Thus creating your 'digital intuition':

http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/11/26/my6sense-pioneering-digital-intuition-500-alpha-invites/

===============================

What I want to know from you guys is:

1. Have you experienced the "information overload VS attention" dilemna in your personal lives?
2. What does the term digital intuition mean to you?
3. Do you feel you could trust a source that uses AI?
4. Would you want a smart RSS reader on your phone?
5. Are you sleeping already?
6. Do you like peanut butter?
7. How do you feel about clowns, crocs and will ferrell?

Thanks.
IlanaSense

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
1. Have you experienced the "information overload VS attention" dilemna in your personal lives?
In businesss, yes, but not in my personal life.

I suppose its something similar to Genius in iTunes, where the computer makes informed decisions based on an outlined criteria and third party input.

I'm confused by this question. Trust as in follow blindly? I hope to keep my free will.

Yes, I would.

I actually just woke up a short while ago. It's morning in New York and I suppose it's Morning in Marin, as well.

I do, but i prefer peanut margarin...less calories.

Despise them all...in that order...starting from bad to worse.

I signed up for the beta awhile ago but haven't heard back from your team yet.

IlanaSense

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008

I suppose its something similar to Genius in iTunes, where the computer makes informed decisions based on an outlined criteria and third party input.

I'm confused by this question. Trust as in follow blindly? I hope to keep my free will.

Yes, I would.

I actually just woke up a short while ago. It's morning in New York and I suppose it's Morning in Marin, as well.

Thank you coasts! You are a darling person.

Example? I'm going to assume you're at work most of the day, so this would seem like a pretty hefty problem. How do you deal with the masses of info and know what to focus on?

Ok, that's what I was aiming for. didn't expect you to get so bloody close! However, unlike genius which probably uses fixed criteria to determine the result, m6s constantly improves your digital intuition by continuously learning your behaviour using fixed and dynamic features that are updated during your regular content consumption.

Of course you keep your free will! But does the term 'AI' make you feel as if you're handing over the reigns to an unknown source or do you feel comfortable having a machine 'learn' you and attempt to deliver new information that you otherwise might never have discovered?

Yes, I would.

OK. I'm on it.

Good morning! Actually, I was already sleeping at that point in the post :p

Tsk, tsk.

oh. sadly I like will.

I'm on it. Please send me a private message in this forum with your email and you'll be gettin one lickety split.

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
Thank you darling. (oh, too kind)

1. Example? I'm going to assume you're at work most of the day, so this would seem like a pretty hefty problem. How do you deal with the masses of info and know what to focus on?

scratch pads, spreadsheets...forgetting a lot on the way...

2.Ok, that's what I was aiming for. didn't expect you to get so bloody close! However, unlike genius which probably uses fixed criteria to determine the result, m6s constantly improves your digital intuition by continuously learning your behaviour using fixed and dynamic features that are updated during your regular content consumption.

Actually, I think Genius does this as well...not that i have any particular attachment to it as a program feature...maybe it's just relevant.

3. Of course you keep your free will! But does the term 'AI' make you feel as if you're handing over the reigns to an unknown source or do you feel comfortable having a machine 'learn' you and attempt to deliver new information that you otherwise might never have discovered?

Well, it seems that there are two contradictory things at play here. "Handing over the reigns" seems like one would have to give up control of something, indicating a risk, whereas learning something only occurs by choice. Sure, I would have a program present information to me, but I would want to remain in control of how that information was used and what it was applied to.

Example: AI may determine that the best way to get from Queens to Manhattan would be to take the 59th St. Bridge. I'd rather cross the Kosciuszco just to see the view. A program could determine and suggest the best route, which I'd consider, but i wouldn't want AI to force its decision on me.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
And then there's the possibility of AI computers becoming self aware, like skynet, and by then it will be too late to pull the plug, and we will really be screwed because Arnold is no longer a good T1000 cyborg, he's a flabby governor. :p

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Well, it seems that there are two contradictory things at play here. "Handing over the reigns" seems like one would have to give up control of something, indicating a risk, whereas learning something only occurs by choice. Sure, I would have a program present information to me, but I would want to remain in control of how that information was used and what it was applied to.
I agree with with this. Another example would be that if this is at least partially a product that works with RSS and your feeds, then I want it to plug into all my existing apps for this purpose, not force me to use it instead of them too much.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA

===============================

What I want to know from you guys is:

1. Have you experienced the "information overload VS attention" dilemma in your personal lives?

Thanks.
IlanaSense
1. I work all day in front of a computer as a software engineer and I also get online when I'm home too so yes, I think I could say I've experienced the dilemma before. Just visiting this forum is a good example.

I come here to look at new threads, but there are lot of what I like to call "virtual shiny things" that can grab my attention away from reading posts. And, even in the posts themselves, these VSTs are present, either in the form of pictures or links to YouTube videos, or whatever. I'm reading a post where they refer to something elsewhere, which I go investigate and that leads to something else and so on and so on until I've forgotten what I was looking at in the first place and end up starting over with the "New Posts" button.

I also don't frequent the social networking sites like Facebook or MySpace. The only places I go are forums that are about things I'm interested in at the moment (EIC, a couple of motorcycle forums, etc...) so I limit the information I get to what interests me.

2. Since you've pretty much described what Digital Intuition is, I really can't give you any additional definition except to say that I agree with how you are describing it. I see it happening on some websites that target their ads to places I've been, using cookies. Like when I go to some page and the ads dynamically change to direct me to some online motorcycle accessory site or to one that sells iPod/iPhone things.

3. Yes, I could trust a source that uses AI. AI is not evil like they depect in the Terminator movies but I would prefer that if the site collects information based on AI, that site should not use the information for anything other than its intended purpose (i.e. don't sell or give it to other places). We get way too much spam as it is.

4. Yes, I think a smart RSS reader would be a great feature on the phone. I'm starting to use Google Reader now and like what it does but one that can either suggest or target what it gives me in an intelligent way would be good.

5. No ;)

6. Only the crunchy kind

7. Clowns...meh, crocs...they keep my feet from sliding on wet surfaces, Will Ferrell...good in some things (Stranger Than Fiction, Elf, Zoolander), not so good in others (Step Brothers, Semi Pro)

IlanaSense

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
And then there's the possibility of AI computers becoming self aware, like skynet, and by then it will be too late to pull the plug, and we will really be screwed because Arnold is no longer a good T1000 cyborg, he's a flabby governor. :p
hehe he's not flabby :(

IlanaSense

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
Thank you darling. (oh, too kind)

3. Of course you keep your free will! But does the term 'AI' make you feel as if you're handing over the reigns to an unknown source or do you feel comfortable having a machine 'learn' you and attempt to deliver new information that you otherwise might never have discovered?

Example: AI may determine that the best way to get from Queens to Manhattan would be to take the 59th St. Bridge. I'd rather cross the Kosciuszco just to see the view. A program could determine and suggest the best route, which I'd consider, but i wouldn't want AI to force its decision on me.
Ok, so let's say 'loosening the reigns'-You aren't giving up control, instead you are choosing NOT to set any specific preferences and allowing the AI engine to provide content-based on what it infers from your behaviour. There's no risk there. Of course, and I'm speaking about my6sense obviously, in accordance with information ethics-no matter how great an AI engine is, you always control if & how your information is used. However, regarding applying info-as I said before, the AI engine would naturally apply what it has 'learnt' about you only to bring you content. that's the whole point. No distribution externally whatsoever. And it's nothing like 'big brother'. ;)

Maybe I should rephrase-it seems as people need to always set preferences, specifically in content aggregators, in order to receive the info they want. This is misleading, because by doing so, you limit your pool of knowledge and ability to go beyond your 'known' boundaries (which can seem at times ominous).. The beauty of a good AI engine is that by relieving you of the 'set preferences' habits, it helps you find things you never dreamed would be of interest to you, but actually are...

AI cannot force any decisions. Yet...

If you got this far that means you actually read everything I wrote. For that you get a big hug. Sorry it was so long. :laugh2:

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
I will answer part of the last question....

Clowns are the devils spawn, and I will not go anywhere near them. Even if in 4 years my child wants to go to the circus, I will tell them that the clowns will eat him/her.

Will Ferrell is a God among Men. Crocs (the shoes) are retarded and look ridiculous...kind of like clown shoes.

IlanaSense

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
Very interesting concepts you present here Ilana....it seems like technology is bisecting with eastern philosophy.
http://lazyway.blogs.com/lazy_way/2006/02/the_power_of_at.html
It will be amazing to see how far "AI" has come in 20 years or so.
Good one! Thanks! I posted it in our FB group
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1386665&id=6897349676#/group.php?gid=23746438168&ref=ts

This sentence was great: "Using our attention wisely is the essense of self-empowerment." Love it.

If you're interested in the topic, the idea of the power of attention connects to a theory in public diplmacy - The paradox of Plenty and soft power- you can find a snippet here:
http://www.theglobalist.com/StoryId.aspx?StoryId=3885

IlanaSense

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
I will answer part of the last question....

Clowns are the devils spawn, and I will not go anywhere near them. Even if in 4 years my child wants to go to the circus, I will tell them that the clowns will eat him/her.

Will Ferrell is a God among Men. Crocs (the shoes) are retarded and look ridiculous...kind of like clown shoes.
lol
I think i love you tex.

must differ on one point-Crocs, not clowns, are the devils spawn. Clowns are simply, well, terribly misunderstood evil spirits and have an awful fashion sense. Have you read 'it'?

Will Ferrell. *sigh*

IlanaSense

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
I agree with with this. Another example would be that if this is at least partially a product that works with RSS and your feeds, then I want it to plug into all my existing apps for this purpose, not force me to use it instead of them too much.
What-you mean if the product uses AI to rank your feeds, then instead of you using it as your sole reader simply apply the AI algorithm to all of your other apps?
What existing apps are you talking about..? Example?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
What-you mean if the product uses AI to rank your feeds, then instead of you using it as your sole reader simply apply the AI algorithm to all of your other apps?
What existing apps are you talking about..? Example?
If it ties into / adds something to existing feed readers, and does it elegantly and is not a pain in the arse (lot of ifs), then that sounds possibly cool.

Existing apps = on the iPhone Google Reader and Byline for a bit of offline capability. On the desktop, just Google Reader.

IlanaSense

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
1. I work all day in front of a computer as a software engineer and I also get online when I'm home too so yes, I think I could say I've experienced the dilemma before. Just visiting this forum is a good example.

I come here to look at new threads, but there are lot of what I like to call "virtual shiny things" that can grab my attention away from reading posts. And, even in the posts themselves, these VSTs are present, either in the form of pictures or links to YouTube videos, or whatever. I'm reading a post where they refer to something elsewhere, which I go investigate and that leads to something else and so on and so on until I've forgotten what I was looking at in the first place and end up starting over with the "New Posts" button.

I also don't frequent the social networking sites like Facebook or MySpace. The only places I go are forums that are about things I'm interested in at the moment (EIC, a couple of motorcycle forums, etc...) so I limit the information I get to what interests me.

2. Since you've pretty much described what Digital Intuition is, I really can't give you any additional definition except to say that I agree with how you are describing it. I see it happening on some websites that target their ads to places I've been, using cookies. Like when I go to some page and the ads dynamically change to direct me to some online motorcycle accessory site or to one that sells iPod/iPhone things.

3. Yes, I could trust a source that uses AI. AI is not evil like they depect in the Terminator movies but I would prefer that if the site collects information based on AI, that site should not use the information for anything other than its intended purpose (i.e. don't sell or give it to other places). We get way too much spam as it is.

4. Yes, I think a smart RSS reader would be a great feature on the phone. I'm starting to use Google Reader now and like what it does but one that can either suggest or target what it gives me in an intelligent way would be good.

5. No ;)

6. Only the crunchy kind

7. Clowns...meh, crocs...they keep my feet from sliding on wet surfaces, Will Ferrell...good in some things (Stranger Than Fiction, Elf, Zoolander), not so good in others (Step Brothers, Semi Pro)
1. Can I please use that as a real-life testimonial to express how prominent the 'information overload'epidemic has become? I completely hear you about the getting distracted by a link and then clicking away till the end of time. You start to realize how infinite all these sources are and that you can prettymuch click away forever...

2. Well, it's also more along philosophical lines. It's taking advantage of technology (AI) so that it can become an inherent part of you, more than mobile phones and computers are today. Internalizing technology to the extent that it can serve as your instincts, your intuition.

3. I'm glad you're AI friendly. A lot of folks are hesitant to say that they feel comfortable with AI...
We don't use AI for anything but our own APP. So it's all internal, no spam. Your benefit. Get your content ranked-things that matter to you the most and discover new materials. Simple as that.

4. Noted :)

5. YES!

7. So i shouldnt see semi pro?

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
7. So i shouldnt see semi pro?
His only failure. I havn't even seen it....I knew from the previews it wasn't worth it.

Step Borthers was awesome. Nothing tops Anchorman though. Nothing. Best 1-liners ever.

IlanaSense

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
His only failure. I havn't even seen it....I knew from the previews it wasn't worth it.

Step Borthers was awesome. Nothing tops Anchorman though. Nothing. Best 1-liners ever.
ok
Well i haven't seen step brothers or semi pro yet. I did just see talladega something or another. was pretty good. I liked sascha baron cohen.

best 1 liners? I would have to go with Old School.

and actually, on of my favorite will films is stranger than fiction. brilliant no?

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Every single day. There seems to be no way to concentrate on the task at hand when having to dig though all sorts of dead ends, articles that go off topic, and other topics that I would rather be viewing.

To me the term would mean that software could understand your tastes. Pandora is a good example I have found. You let it know what you like and what you don't like and it creates a custom station for you.

As long as no real personal information had to be submitted.

I currently use Free RSS Reader on my phone. If I could get a feeder to understand what my interests were I would love to give it a go.

I am not narcoleptic.

I don't mind peanut butter. It has never made me mad.

Clowns come in all types, some are good and some are creepy. If they make my daughter laugh I like them. If the make my daughter cry, I don't.

Crocs the animals, have sharp teeth, I avoid them. Crocks the shoes......I have Colts Crocs I wear on game day because they are comfortable, but I don't wear them often in public.

Will Ferrell movies comes in all types, some are funny and some are not funny. If it makes me laugh it was funnyand I like it. If it made me cry, I don't

IlanaSense

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
Every single day. There seems to be no way to concentrate on the task at hand when having to dig though all sorts of dead ends, articles that go off topic, and other topics that I would rather be viewing.

Ok, so it's incredible how most people respond positively to that question. I myself constantly experience the dilemna as well-and not just in my work life. I find that the more people you know, the more options you have (what to wear, where to go, who to see, what to eat), the harder it is to come to a decision and know what to focus on. Especially when you find so many things appealing and would like to get to it all. I doubt AI could solve that, but in terms of info overload, raw content and RSS-it certainly helps narrow things down. Almost assists you in sharpening your self-definition when it comes to content consumption.

To me the term would mean that software could understand your tastes. Pandora is a good example I have found. You let it know what you like and what you don't like and it creates a custom station for you.

well, yes. In a sense. The 'machine' gradually understands what tickles your fancy. I personally like deezer.com, they have a great selection of music and a fab smart radio. Can you save playlists in Pandora?

As long as no real personal information had to be submitted.

What's real personal info? Your address and such? No need...

I currently use Free RSS Reader on my phone. If I could get a feeder to understand what my interests were I would love to give it a go.

Ah ha! which one do you use? Would be interested in trying out my6sense?

I am not narcoleptic.

Haha. Neither am I but I like to be considerate towards those who are.

I don't mind peanut butter. It has never made me mad.

I guess you never met a peanut with an atitude problem. Scary.

Clowns come in all types, some are good and some are creepy. If they make my daughter laugh I like them. If the make my daughter cry, I don't.

Crocs the animals, have sharp teeth, I avoid them. Crocks the shoes......I have Colts Crocs I wear on game day because they are comfortable, but I don't wear them often in public.

HA! Glad you don't wear them in public often. whew.

Will Ferrell movies comes in all types, some are funny and some are not funny. If it makes me laugh it was funnyand I like it. If it made me cry, I don't

This I gotta know-
which Will ferrell movie made you cry?!
I've been trying to view this post all day yesterday and the site just wouldn't come up. did anyone else have that problem? or was it just me?