"I was right..."

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
If you were right about something, what is the big deal with telling someone, "See, I was right..." Even more so if they doubted you.

What am I missing here? It is not delivered as boastful, more of a confirmation that I was right.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I think it's all in the tone and delivery. Most people take it well if it's not derisive and not being rubbed in.

Some people just don't like to be told they were wrong. They will also go to great lengths to avoid admitting they were wrong and also tend to avoid telling others that they were right.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
Prime example: I referee basketball. I'm currently out of town at a tournament. I pride myself on being a "rules guru" and knowing the rules inside and out. There was a situation that occurred in a game just prior to mine which we discussed after that game. I stated what I thought was proper, and one of the officials who had worked that game had a different interpretation. Didn't have time to look it up right at that moment as I had to head out for my game. When we came in at halftime, he told me he had checked the rulebook, and I was in fact correct. As much as I would have liked to have said, "Told ya so," there was nothing really to be gained from that.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
Thanks for the replies. I totally understand the, "I told you so...," and the not throwing something in someone's face. But I was asked today why do I say I'm right...

I believe in giving props where it's due and although I don't say I'm right hardly ever, I guess I was annoyed to hear it. Even more so considering the individual didn't take a moment to acknowledge I was actually right. Hence, "I was right..." When I'm wrong, I certainly say so.