I was wondering...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jun 21, 2007
I know the iPhone doesn't have features for MS Exchange....but it does for POP3....right now with my current smartphone i connect directly to my companies MS exchange server and my calendar, contacts and email get pushed to me instantly, as soon as i receive an email i get it on my phone right away if i make a change to my calendar on my outlook it updates wirelesly automatically on my phone or vice versa same with the contacts. It all works through Activeysnc.....so i was wondering if there is someway that i can set that up through pop3 without having to go to my it manager and getting anything changed on the exchange server.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I don't think so. I've got the same situation at my school, but I don't think iPhone currently will work with MS Exchange. After this week though, all those techies will start working on it, so we might be surprised sooner or later.

Jun 21, 2007
Yeah i know cols it sucks.....the network managers here are just waiting till i get mine to start working on it to see if they can get that to somehow work on the iPhone

soloudinhere

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
To answer your question, unless your IT manager has enabled pop3 or IMAP on the exchange server, you can't access it that way. It's generally considered a security risk so I wouldn't hold out hope that they'll enable this for you.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
To answer your question, unless your IT manager has enabled pop3 or IMAP on the exchange server, you can't access it that way. It's generally considered a security risk so I wouldn't hold out hope that they'll enable this for you.
Maybe not, but it'll work with all my other email addresses and with the price of the plans, I won't even care about not getting my school emails directly pushed to me. I can always check them over the web anyway just like I always have.

Not much to complain about here solidhare. You might want to go try to rain on someone else's parade for a while.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Maybe not, but it'll work with all my other email addresses and with the price of the plans, I won't even care about not getting my school emails directly pushed to me. I can always check them over the web anyway just like I always have.

Not much to complain about here solidhare. You might want to go try to rain on someone else's parade for a while.
I don't think he's trying to rain on any parade (this time...lol)
IT departments at just about any company are not going to enable IMAP or POP3, or set up any other device not handed to them by the company, for any reason. It is considered a security risk, and any device set up to work on the network that is not company-approved and provided, is considered a rogue device. Anyone involved in either of these procedures, would be pretty much in a position for termination of employment. I've worked for 2 large corporations that have a LARGE base of exchange server users and blackberries provided to all management. Same rules applied at both. I think this was all that soloudinhere was trying to say. ;)

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I don't think he's trying to rain on any parade (this time...lol)
IT departments at just about any company are not going to enable IMAP or POP3, or set up any other device not handed to them by the company, for any reason. It is considered a security risk, and any device set up to work on the network that is not company-approved and provided, is considered a rogue device. Anyone involved in either of these procedures, would be pretty much in a position for termination of employment. I've worked for 2 large corporations that have a LARGE base of exchange server users and blackberries provided to all management. Same rules applied at both. I think this was all that soloudinhere was trying to say. ;)
Yeah but he's been knocking the iPhone since day one and now with today's release of the plans and activation process all he can do is start pointing on the few negatives he has left.

DD0

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Just bookmark your exchange server in safari and check it! Worked just fine on my BB, before I had my account up and running.

soloudinhere

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
Yeah but he's been knocking the iPhone since day one and now with today's release of the plans and activation process all he can do is start pointing on the few negatives he has left.

First of all: "She." I am a SHE.

Second of all, I think the plans are very fair and I have nothing to say about that. The OP asked if there was a way to access exchange email through pop3 without going through IT and the short answer to that question is no.

thinkart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
Mid-MO
can you set up an auto-fwd?
you could get a gmail acct and have all email fwd'd to it...then get your email on your iPhone.

...just a thought

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
can you set up an auto-fwd?
you could get a gmail acct and have all email fwd'd to it...then get your email on your iPhone.

...just a thought
i was thinking doing it to a yahoo account - that way it acts like an exchange server because yahoo and Apple agreed on the 'push' email account from yahoo. remember!?!?!?

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
i was thinking doing it to a yahoo account - that way it acts like an exchange server because yahoo and Apple agreed on the 'push' email account from yahoo. remember!?!?!?
I would love to switch over to yahoo, from Gmail. But, yahoo's junk mail filtering SUCKS, plus I like Gmail. :)