I went full fanboy, man. Never go full fanboy.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I'm glad I closed the door to my office. I hope they couldn't hear me shrieking with glee in the most hilarious fanboyish fashion, as the team at Apple unveiled the neatest looking computer I've ever seen, and then ceremoniously obliterated all of the leather stitching, green felt, and metal knobs to reveal the best looking OS I've ever seen.

Go Jony!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Idunno about the mac pro... I was going with it until they showed how small it was.

How big are the PCIe slots? Can you fit in an AMD 7950? Or an nvidia 680?

How many HDD bays are there? I doubt there are four like the current Mac Pro.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I also have to admit the Mac Pro is quite sexy. Not that I'd shell out 5 grand for it but aesthetic design-wise, it sets the bar.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
fury Shriek away my brother! I wish I worked with you. I would have joined you in the office with the door closed and we could have been fanboys together! No one here is remotely interested.

I was trying to watch the keynote on my iPhone but the signal in this building is crap, and the keyote live feed kept cutting out on me until it just stopped working. I had to wait until Igot home and then I didn't get to watch the entire thing either. But I did see that Mac pro. :D That thing is NICE! Makes me want one. The power it has is amazing too. YAY Apple!

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Idunno about the mac pro... I was going with it until they showed how small it was.

How big are the PCIe slots? Can you fit in an AMD 7950? Or an nvidia 680?

How many HDD bays are there? I doubt there are four like the current Mac Pro.
Looks to me like they're banking on Thunderbolt 2 satisfying all your expansion needs, rather than putting a bunch of bays inside the thing, just give you a bunch of ports to hook up towers and towers full of drives. Makes sense. It looks like it might stack well, too, which would be a bonus for accessory makers. Towers and towers of Mac Pros and the drives and other bits and pieces that hook up to them. (I imagine somebody might even make a Mac Pro dock that hides away the cables.)

I'd hope the graphics cards are at least MXM and the CPUs are replaceable, otherwise this will probably flop like its elder kin, the G4 Cube. GPU and CPU are the fastest components to get outdated in a system like this...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
This new Mac Pro will be a death knell for audio professionals using Pro Tools HD/HDX. Even if they offer a thunderbolt expansion chassis that allows for large PCIe cards, it's still too much hassle (and probably money) compared to comparable PC offerings. Non-upgradeable memory and SSD seems silly to me. How much money and space to they really save soldering those things to the motherboard? The current Mac Pros are way too bulky and heavy, and they respond to the criticism by making them TOO small. Can't we have a middle ground?

I'm sure their desire to kill Pro Tools on their platform in lieu of their own Logic software is purely conspiratorial thinking on my part. O_o