I will become a US citizen on December 5th, 2013!

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Hey, everyone. I have a big announcement. After arriving in the USA from Spain in February of 1974 (I was six months old at the time), and after applying for USA citizenship on or around May or June of 2012, I will finally become a USA citizen on December 5th, 2013. The oath ceremony is scheduled for 1:30PM that day, and I'm assuming after taking the oath is when you officially become a citizen? (Or do I have to wait a few days after the oath ceremony before it is finalized? I don't know?) I had pretty much thought they'd forgotten about my application. This process took forever.

Mind you, my parents both became USA citizens a long time ago. And ironically, of the three of us, the one who is for all intents and purposes American (me), is the last one of the three of us to become a citizen.

smelton3

Bronze
Apr 5, 2011
Congratulations. Good for you! I would imagine citizenship happens as soon as the oath has been sworn. At any rate, once again congratulations!

Sent using iCafe app on my AT&T iPad Air

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Well, now it's finalized! Interestingly, the certificate says I became a citizen back on October 12, 1988. This could be due to one of two reasons: either I actually became a citizen on that date in the system (but they never mailed me my certificate), or they made me a citizen now retroactively because I applied for "derived citizenship" through my mom. That October 12, 1988 date sounds more or less like the date that my mom became a citizen.

citizenshipcertificate.jpg

Also, it is interesting that when I applied for a voter's registration card about 8-10 years ago, they gave it to me. This card is something only American citizens are supposed to get. I never actually used it because I've never been into politics. (This is about to change, though!)

However, it doesn't make much sense that when I applied for a replacement Permanent Resident Card ("Green Card") just last year (mine had been lost for ages), they promptly issued me the replacement card. If I was a citizen, I should not have been given a Permanent Resident Card. As a matter of fact, I had to surrender my Permanent Resident Card yesterday when I arrived at the USCIS Miami Field Office.

Anyhow, all's well that ends well!