I wish that I knew what I know now... when I was younger

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
yes... well I am young, and I want to know good advice about life now...:laugh2:

TOO ALL YOU ADULTS: Give your advice on life that you wish you had back in highschool, to all us teens or whoever on the forums.;)

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
1)Take a few risks. You have the rest of your life to make up for them. ;)

2)Don't kill yourself trying to make money young, but at the same time, save at least half of whatever you do make for later on.
imagine having 10 Grand in the bank at 25, that you don't depend on to live.

3) no matter what she/he says, no matter how good it feels, WEAR A CONDOM! I know too many people that ended up being parents way too early. They were the lucky ones, because they didn't get a life long (or life ending) disease.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Eat your vegetables.

Oh, and don't start smoking...very bad idea. But, I think there's a lot less pressure for young people to do that now given the general anti-smoking mentality that is pervading our society. Back in the 70s, it was damn hard to not smoke.

spampy22

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
-Do not give in to peer pressure.
-Be yourself around the opposite sex
-I wish I would of asked more women out when I was younger instead of having the same girl all through High School.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Eat your vegetables.

Oh, and don't start smoking...very bad idea. But, I think there's a lot less pressure for young people to do that now given the general anti-smoking mentality that is pervading our society. Back in the 70s, it was damn hard to not smoke.
So true man, I just got back from a friends house and he went into his dads cigar box and stole a few. . .I said "nah I don't want any" but I guess they werent taking me seriously and um. . .

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
throw away a couple of years to traveling. having experienced things outside of your surroundings will help you relate to others as you get older.

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
1) Go to college. Trust me. Get a loan, save, whatever it takes. But go to college.

2) I truly second the "wear a condom" thing. There are too many unwanted pregnancies and children in this world. Condoms are cheap and easy to use. It's easy NOT to get pregnant, but I'm constantly surprised at how many "oops" pregnancies there are.

3) Learn how to do as many things on your own as possible. Do not rely on anyone to get you through life - do it yourself.

4) There will ALWAYS be another guy/girl. Always. There are many people out there that are perfect for us, not just one. That being said, don't settle just because you can't find Mr./Mrs. right. Life's too short for "good enough".

5) Keep on top of your health.

6) Get out there and DO something. There's always TV and the Internets - but there won't always be outings with friends and trips to the city. GO OUTSIDE!

7) Live by yourself for at least a year, but really, as long as possible.

NateEssex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
NJ
1) Go to college. Trust me. Get a loan, save, whatever it takes. But go to college.

2) I truly second the "wear a condom" thing. There are too many unwanted pregnancies and children in this world. Condoms are cheap and easy to use. It's easy NOT to get pregnant, but I'm constantly surprised at how many "oops" pregnancies there are.

3) Learn how to do as many things on your own as possible. Do not rely on anyone to get you through life - do it yourself.

4) There will ALWAYS be another guy/girl. Always. There are many people out there that are perfect for us, not just one. That being said, don't settle just because you can't find Mr./Mrs. right. Life's too short for "good enough".

5) Keep on top of your health.

6) Get out there and DO something. There's always TV and the Internets - but there won't always be outings with friends and trips to the city. GO OUTSIDE!

7) Live by yourself for at least a year, but really, as long as possible.
I agree with all of those but #7. I recommend saving and staying at home, if possible, to put a nest egg together. Or, stay at home and take that rent cash to travel. I was fortunate and traveled by doing that. IMO, you can do #7 later before living with a significant other and getting married, which brings me back to #2 and #1-->Do Them!

I would add to #3 by recommending you try different things, try to find what you like and what you love. You can then explore career possibilities in those fields.

Remember, all good things in moderation ;)
/cheers

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
pds, the one thing i hope you get from this is that everyone has their own idea of what's important. find what works for you and do that. don't mind anything else.

i'd say skip college, live in a tent and take LSD once or twice, but that's probably not best for everyone.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm only 30 but here's what I got so far:

Love.

Pretty much as much as possible.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I couldn't agree more with Dave.

Love the people you meet. Cherish your family and friends because we only have a finite amount of time on this earth and you don't know which day will be your last.

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Projectdarkside
Good Day

My advice to you and to many of my students is a bit of knowledge acquired the hard way:

Everything that happens in grammar school and junior high and high school and pretty much EVERYTHING that happens to you before you are 20:

As you get older you will realize that none of that matters in the scheme of things.
You life does not even BEGIN until you are around 25.

As you experience more of life you realize that in your teens or twenties, you didn't know WHAT you didn't know.

That is the beauty of every new day.

Dana

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
PDS-This is for the future: When the day comes that you decide to get married, do not, I repeat, do not have children right away. Enjoy each other for a good couple of years and travel, explore, adventure, have fun. Once you have kids your life changes FOREVER!:eek:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
PDS-This is for the future: When the day comes that you decide to get married, do not, I repeat, do not have children right away. Enjoy each other for a good couple of years and travel, explore, adventure, have fun. Once you have kids your life changes FOREVER!:eek:
Haha connie, that's the last thing my 30-yr-old wife wanted me to hear right now. Her clock is ticking, my parents were 40 when they had me. You do the math. We have been married almost 7 years now... is that too long without kids?

Gotta live while you're young!

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Haha connie, that's the last thing my 30-yr-old wife wanted me to hear right now. Her clock is ticking, my parents were 40 when they had me. You do the math. We have been married almost 7 years now... is that too long without kids?

Gotta live while you're young!
Wow, 7 years, I hope you guys have had some fun.
It's getting close I think but you gotta be ready, it will change your world. Nothing will ever be the same, these little humans will take over your lives for the rest of your lives. But thats not always a bad thing. There is nothing more amazing than to see a little person you create with the person you love. They will steal your heart and then you can't imagine life without them.