I would like to see a CarPlay kit.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
I'd like to see a kit where you can install the CarPlay hardware onto your current car. Maybe make it a little smaller then the current CarPlay screen. Far fetched, but I would like to see this someday, or something similar.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
Keep an eye out on a maker called "Ram Mount". I have a second holder in transit for the second car in our family, a 16 year old Cadillac Coupe DeVille. I ordered an iPhone mount with a suction cup base for windshield mounting for my '08 MDX. They make a fair variety of holders and bases. I viewed my $70 setup as being more affordable than $100+ cost per year for vehicle installed GPS map updates that were never really up to date. In addition, the phone can be a media source via the aux connection.

YMMV

http://www.rammount.com/Products/AppleMounts/tabid/1647/Default.aspx#/

Last edited:

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
It works with most cases, but I'd contact them to be sure. I have the Apple leather case for my 5 and it works great.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
Aux cable with OEM Apple Lightning converter cable. I've tried other converter cables, but only the OEM Apple one works for music.

Last edited:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Great video and I'd assume that it would work with an Otterbox.

Oh by the way, Alpine could have an aftermarket CarPlay console later this year. It will be about $500 to $700. I think CarPlay mode would be great, but not sure Apple's interested in doing that, at least while they pump up CarPlay to auto manufacturers. If it's available on any iPhone, it's a lot less compelling for car dealers using to lure buyers.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Great video and I'd assume that it would work with an Otterbox.

Oh by the way, Alpine could have an aftermarket CarPlay console later this year. It will be about $500 to $700. I think CarPlay mode would be great, but not sure Apple's interested in doing that, at least while they pump up CarPlay to auto manufacturers. If it's available on any iPhone, it's a lot less compelling for car dealers using to lure buyers.
I'll be getting my airframe device in a few days. I can't wait. I hate having iPhone in my lap or in random places haha. I've tried other items that go into AC in car but none will be as good as this one according to the video.

Last edited by a moderator:

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
I've had my Airframe for about a year now and it's the best mount I've ever used, in any car. I'd certainly rather use this than upgrade to an expensive CarPlay unit... Enjoy it!

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I use my Kenu Airframe now. It's awesome and works great in my car. I can now not have to hold phone, and I can listen to music through car and make phone calls etc with AUX cable.