I would like to see a CarPlay kit.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
CarPlay is here! about to go update my Pioneer's firmware...

Last edited by a moderator:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Unfortunately the update is not working on my system. Will have to wait and see what Pioneer says...

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
That's awesome. You must be both excited and frustrated. The long wait is over, almost. Post some shots when it's up and running.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
think I figured out the issue. I didn't install the handbrake bypass, so the unit won't let me do the update. should be able to do it this week.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
finally got it updated. it's pretty good, but not perfect, which I expected for the initial release. I'll get some pics later. the two major problems I have are related to starting up your car. to initiate CarPlay, you have to first have your iPhone unlocked, *then* you have to accept a safety prompt on the receiver, and *then* if you want music, you have to manually initiate it. it doesn't start automatically where it left off last. so all that makes it kind of a hassle to go through every time you get in your car.

BUT, it's super nice being able to get Apple maps on the 7" screen in the dash instead of having to look down at my iPhone. problem is the refresh is rather low so the animation is jittery. messages alerts are nice.

the music app is ok, but they decided to make the album art dimmed in the background, which is a cool idea, but it's dimmed to the point of being barely visible. so the app looks pretty bland color-wise. I haven't tried spotify yet, but I definitely will tonight.

Also, everything is *heavily* dependent on Siri, which I haven't been able to try yet since I haven't hooked up my receiver's handsfree mic. maybe I'll do that tomorrow or Monday.

In any case, I'm happy that this is a thing, and really hope car audio manufacturers and Apple keep going with it.