i5 Jailbroken and woke up to find it DOA

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by ednygma, Mar 1, 2013.

1. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

When I went to bed last night it was working fine and I plugged it in to charge but when I woke up I noticed my phone was dead.

I have tried to reboot but it will not go off Apple icon. I try again holding up volume and it still will not leave Apple icon.

I verified that tinyumbrella is not checking against cydia and tried to restore using iTunes but keep getting a 1602 error. 1602 says to correct using same method for 1604 which is related to a usb port. So I switched to my only other usb port and it did the same. I then closed iTunes, kept the device connected and restarted iTunes and am running it again. Nope...still get 1602 error.

Any ideas on what I can do? I am using an HP laptop with Windows 7. It looks like I may have to go to the Apple store but I am afraid they won't help me since it is a jailbroken device now and I cannot restore it to factory settings.

2. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

So, now my phone sits with a black screen. If I press the power button the Apple icon will come up and then go away. If I plug it into a computer the Apple icon will come up and have it's brightness fade out and in and so on and so on. I cannot get it to move beyone that point.

I am wondering if I take it to the Apple store if they will be able to figure out it is jailbroken from this state or not. Obviously if they do then they will not give me any support but if they cannot I am thinking I can get it replaced.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

I do not have Applecare because I forgot to purchase it but I do have insurance through AT&T so I know at the very least I can call them and have a new phone sent to me but it will cost me $199 to replace my 64G i5.

I am hoping someone here can give me some peace of mind (or just a piece of their mind LOL).

Thanks in advance!

3. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Try manually putting it into DFU mode. Google for instructions.

4. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks Rick. I will run home in a bit and try that. I thought I had but I will make sure I follow the specific timing to ensure I get it right. I will post back after to report if it works or not.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If it doesn't work in DFU mode, try a different cable, temporarily disable your antivirus software and reboot the computer. Try it on a different computer if that doesn't work.

Apple will replace it if you can't get it working. Don't worry about that. Just don't mention the jailbreak. There's lots of troubleshooting to do before resorting to that, though.

6. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks. I have tried different cables, and different usb ports but it is the only computer I have to use. It would not work in DFU mode and still gave me the same error 1602. I am back at work now so can't do any more trouble shooting until this evening. If needed I can make a genius bar appt and run by the Apple store on my way home and just jailbreak the new one. I just wanted to make sure they would not be able to tell it was jailbroken.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'd try it with the firewall and antivirus temporarily disabled before going to Apple. They are often the cause of 16xx errors.

8. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks Europa, I will try that this evening.

9. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

I have disabled antivirus and firewall, used a different cord and still received a 1602 error. I had my daughter bring her laptop over and now trying on hers (with antivirus and firewall disabled).

10. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

Dagnabit...failure again. This time on my daughter's pc. Still getting 1602 error.

Okay EIC expert friends, any suggestions?

I am ready to go schedule a visit to the Apple store in the am.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Try downloading the firmware here and then shift+restoring. It's possible it was a corrupt download. Do you have the latest version of iTunes installed? Are you using an official Apple Lightning cable plugged directly into the USB port (no USB extender)?

12. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

I downloaded the latest version of iTunes on my daughter's laptop and I just uninstalled it from mine and downloaded the latest version on mine. I am using an official Apple Lightning cable plugged directly into the USB port.

I am downloading the firmware now and will do a shift restore upon completion and report back.

Thanks again for all your help. I feel like I have been a pain in your neck today and I apologize.

13. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

Well frak, it would not work either. I downloaded the latest iTunes and made sure I downloaded and used the latest firmware but it still came back with a 1602 error. My head hurts from beating it against the wall ;)

Any other suggestions?

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Well, I can't think of anything else to try. It is possible that it's a hardware problem and not related to the jailbreak. It sounds like it's stuck in an infinite boot loop when it's plugged in.

I would take it to Apple tomorrow after scheduling a Genius Bar appointment and tell them that it won't power on and that you've done all the troubleshooting steps you can think of to get it restored and you keep getting errors. Just don't mention the jailbreak. I'm confident that they will replace it for you.

You're welcome. It's no problem at all. I wish I could have helped more, but I think it might be a hardware problem.

15. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

Yep, that is what I am thinking as well. I have an appt at the Genius Bar tomorrow morning. I really do appreciate the help and at least this time I will be jb'ing a clean as a whistle device. The last time I did not restore as new before jb'ing.

Thanks again and have a great night!

16. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

Well resolution at the Apple store was to replace the phone due to hardware failure. Thanks for all your help up10ad and Europa. I appreciate all the feedback. Now to setup new iPhone, save SHSH blobs and jailbreak.