iBEC and iBSS certificates

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Has anyone heard if it is necessary to do a complete restore to capture the iBEC and iBSS certificates, or if capturing your ECID and generating the purplera1nyday file is sufficient? Is the ECID only a iBSS certificate (no iBEC) or is it both certificates?

I've already generated the purplera1nyday file and I just don't want to do the complete restore unless it's useless. How many people here are sticking with just the purplera1nyday file and how many are doing both methods?

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4399
http://www.modmyi.com/forums/genera...-3gs-ibss-certificate-possible-jailbreak.html

Jul 18, 2007
I just did this today . My question is do you have to do a restore and then restore your phone from a back up or do you just have to restore . I just did a restore and then put the phone in DFU Mode and restored again without putting the phone back the way it was from a back up and i was able to get both certificates . But will these be the right ones if i did not restore from a back up ?

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Has anyone heard if it is necessary to do a complete restore to capture the iBEC and iBSS certificates, or if capturing your ECID and generating the purplera1nyday file is sufficient? Is the ECID only a iBSS certificate (no iBEC) or is it both certificates?

I've already generated the purplera1nyday file and I just don't want to do the complete restore unless it's useless. How many people here are sticking with just the purplera1nyday file and how many are doing both methods?

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4399
http://www.modmyi.com/forums/genera...-3gs-ibss-certificate-possible-jailbreak.html
it is nescessary to restore because the only time those files will show up is during a restore (both will come up in DFU). I would suggest dl the grabber program so you don't have to worry about not catching either or both files.

The Dev has stated in their latest blog entry that if you have captured the 2 filed you are guaranteed to jailbreak from now on.

drake371

Jul 2, 2009
i found that the grabber program did not work for me (duel 3.2g cpu + 4g ram = very fast file swapping, and the program or me could not catch the, in the system temp folder).... I located both files in C:\Users\drake\AppData\Local\Temp ( or was it in another directory Apple uses to store temp info.)

drake

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
So the Grabber program doesn't require a restore?

drake371

Jul 2, 2009
still requires a restore in dfu mode: other places the files are, sorry I don't remember exact location but they show up in another temp folder during the duration of a restore. Hope that helps

C:\Users\drake\AppData\Local\Apple Computer\iTunes
C:\Users\drake\AppData\Local\Apple\Apple Software Update

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Well I did it, I got the files I needed, but it was a pain in the butt. Finally ended up using the grabber program to get the iBSS file, I could get the folder with the EBIC file easy enough...but the first would open and close to quickly.

To make it even more painful, I downgraded from 3.1 to 3.0 to jailbreak, and every restore ends in an error. Easy enough to fix but still a pain.

drake371

Jul 2, 2009
Thats why I gave up trying to grab the files in the system temp directory and used the ones Apple programs used (specificly iTunes one)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Ok, so I have the iBEC and iBSS Grabber program but haven't used it yet.

It would probably be alright to just wait to do this until I'm ready to restore and upgrade to the next FW update, right? Of coarse, I would just restore to 3.0 (regardless if 3.1 is out yet), grab the iBEC and iBSS, then update to 3.1 (once 3.1 is jailbreakable).

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Ok, so I have the iBEC and iBSS Grabber program but haven't used it yet.

It would probably be alright to just wait to do this until I'm ready to restore and upgrade to the next FW update, right? Of coarse, I would just restore to 3.0 (regardless if 3.1 is out yet), grab the iBEC and iBSS, then update to 3.1 (once 3.1 is jailbreakable).

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/133799347/your-3gs-temporary-solution

give that a read. You may want to do it before 3.1 comes out. Sounds like you won't be able to do it after it's out. That was why i did mine shortly after someone posted the thread about it.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009

give that a read. You may want to do it before 3.1 comes out. Sounds like you won't be able to do it after it's out. That was why i did mine shortly after someone posted the thread about it.
The whole point they are making about 3.1 is that the baseband is updated and ultrasn0w won't work if you update to 3.1. I have already upgraded to 3.1, downgraded and grabbed the files, don't care about an unlock, but it is sage advice, because some will need the unlock.

cubbie5150

Bronze
Dec 16, 2007
I used the tutorial from iClarified (for Mac users), and the terminal command they provide makes this painless... So, I have the iBEC, iBSS & did the ECID thing via purplera1n....stored them on three different places/hard drives. LOL, we're all probably doing this for no reason...better to be safe than sorry. Now I just gotta hope I don't need to replace my 3G S in the future

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

I don't understand how the release of 3.1 will suddenly make it impossible. I already have the 3.0 IPSW file saved. I would be restoring with it from 3.0 to 3.0 while grabbing the files. Nothing would be updated on the phone itself to prevent it. The only possible way I can see it not working in this instance, is if Apple made an iTunes update that somehow prevented it and I updated iTunes. I guess the reason it won't work in the future is that it contacts Apple during the restore process. But if you haven't updated the FW or iTunes, how is it possible that that could prevent it from working as long as you are restoring from 3.0 to 3.0 (with an IPSW file created before 3.1 was even released) while grabbing the files at the same time? I mean if you don't update iTunes or the FW, won't the restore process still run exactly the same way it does now (not contacting Apple during the restore process)?

mbuena

Jul 9, 2009
But if you haven't updated the FW or iTunes, how is it possible that that could prevent it from working as long as you are restoring from 3.0 to 3.0 (with an IPSW file created before 3.1 was even released) while grabbing the files at the same time? I mean if you don't update iTunes or the FW, won't the restore process still run exactly the same way it does now (not contacting Apple during the restore process)?
You probably should know that iTunes contacts Apple.com for EVERY single Restore or DFU Restore regardless of version. Staying on firmware 2.20 with iTunes 7 for example.. try disconnecting your PC/laptop from the internet and try starting a restore. First thing you'll see is a big error saying you cant restore because it cant contact Apple.

It's big brother :)

You should know that Apple now has effectively got a working "kill switch".. if they want you FORCE you to upgrade to firmware 3.1 when it comes out.. they can.. they can just "allow" and send you the signature for firmware 3.1.

So you can see why it's good to get firmware 3.0 signatures now.. incase you need to downgrade for any reason.. or the dev team find a way to change the firmware 3.0 ipsw to include a jailbreak payload.

Your guess is as good as mine from here on in.

Cheers.

Edit:
I forgot to mention.. this is only for 3GS... 2G and 3G don't have this signature security to flash firmware. It still needs to talk to Apple to Restore an official firmware which the dev team can probably fake.. the signature generation of the 3GS however.. unless they crack the algorithm will be hard to get around.