iBook Question

yuuphone

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
I am thinking of switching to a MacBook from my iBook and would like to sell the iBook after I transfer everything. How do I restore my iBook? Is it like windows where you pop in a disc and it'll restore back to original settings or is it entirely different?

Also, what is the easiest and cheapest way to transfer my stuff on my iBook to the new MacBook? Since my iBook only had a 40GB HD, I have around 16-17GB of stuff to move. An external HD is quite pricey and I don't have a DVD burner on the iBook, any other suggestions? Thanks.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
To restore your iBook, ensure you have the original install CD/DVD, make sure everything's backed up, then insert the CD and shut down the computer. Boot up and after the bootup sound, hold down "C" for CD, and it will boot from the install CD and run through the installation for you. Just tell it to erase and install and it'll put a fresh copy of Mac OS X on there for you.

With 17GB of data, I'd go with a cheap external USB HD. Even a 250GB drive is pretty cheap these days...well under $100 if you shop around. It's wise to always have your data backed up at all times anyway.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
an external HD probably would be the easiest way to do it. Although, if you have a network set up in your home, you can share the files on it, and download them to your new macbook.depending on your network, this may take longer than using an external HD, but it won't require new hardware (provided you do have a network already).

If you go with a macbook pro, then you can use the firewire port to connect your ibook in "target disk mode" which basically makes your ibook a big external hard drive. Keep in mind, this requires firewire, so it will not work on the new aluminum macbooks.