iCafe App Is Crashing!

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
This is happening when I tap on a few threads. There's 3 threads this occurs on. So far. Deleted background apps-check, hard reset- check, deleted app then reinstalled- check. Still does it. Just on those 3 threads. May be more I'm not aware of.

Sent using iCafe app

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
This is happening when I tap on a few threads. There's 3 threads this occurs on. So far. Deleted background apps-check, hard reset- check, deleted app then reinstalled- check. Still does it. Just on those 3 threads. May be more I'm not aware of.

Sent using iCafe app
It happened to me with the Shades of Blue thread. I didn't try any of the remedies you mentioned; rather, I simply gave up and threw my hands up in despair. Then, I shrugged my shoulders helplessly and made a "whatever" expression. Subsequently, I sighed loudly.

Sent using iCafe app

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
It keeps crashing on me with the iOS 7 screenshot thread. At first I was like "what the fudge?!?!" Then I was like "oh well." I did try a hard reset but still no love for the screenshot thread.

EDIT: Hold the phone! It just crashed on the Shades of Blue thread for me too! :eek:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
eiC crashes on mobile Safari about once a day for me. I don't use the iCafe app. I'm not certain if it's the forum or the phone that's causing this.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
For what it's worth, the threads that crashed in the app opened normally when I tried viewing them with mobile Safari.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I've got 4 threads that cause the app to crash. They work fine on TapaTalk. I haven't tried the site in Safari, but it appears to work ok there. It has to be an app problem, as others are experiencing it. I guess I mean it's not just my phone.

Sent using iCafe app

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
For those of you who are experiencing this: have you noticed that it only crashes on the second attempt to view a thread? On the first attempt, the app simply fails to display anything (you get a blank screen only).

Now it is crashing for me on the "best hidden features of iOS 7" thread.

Final observation: this just started about four or five days ago, and not when iOS 7 or any of its incremental updates came out. I had been using the app (on all versions of iOS 7.0.x on an iPhone 5s) with perfect results up until just recently.

UPDATE: I was wrong. It also crashes on the first attempt to open a thread, but the actual crash happens after a three second delay. I thought it was crashing after the second attempt to view a thread because I was tapping on "back" too soon (on the blank screen), and going right back into the same thread in an attempt to get it to display, and that's when I was experiencing the crash.

Sent using iCafe app

Last edited:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
eiC crashes on mobile Safari about once a day for me. I don't use the iCafe app. I'm not certain if it's the forum or the phone that's causing this.
Mobile Safari crashing? :D That's a given for pretty much any website.

As for the eiC app crashes, I'm on it. Looking at a new build today.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Mobile Safari crashing? :D That's a given for pretty much any website.

As for the eiC app crashes, I'm on it. Looking at a new build today.
Agreed. I was just coming here to update this thread. It just barely crashed on another website. It has nothing to do with this forum. Sorry, I hadn't really paid attention to where I was when it was crashing up until yesterday.

dmoskaluk

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 22, 2013
Paynes Bay - Barbados
Europa said:

Not likely the phone itself as it only happens to me on the App on iPad OR iPhone ..... Access via web ( Safari/Chrome) seem ok, but I'll admit not having done a 'lot' of browsing in the forum over it ..... David

Last edited by a moderator:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

Not likely the phone itself as it only happens to me on the App on iPad OR iPhone ..... Access via web ( Safari/Chrome) seem ok, but I'll admit not having done a 'lot' of browsing in the forum over it ..... David
It's iOS 7 that's causing the Safari crashes, not eiC. I've had it crash here, but it's also crashing on other websites. I've also read reports of others having trouble with Safari on various websites on 7.x. The more time you spend on Safari, the more you will notice this. I spend all day on mobile Safari and it happens about once a day.

Please use the quote feature when you are quoting someone. It causes confusion when you don't. My post looked like it was part of yours since it wasn't quoted. I'll fix it for you.

dmoskaluk

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 22, 2013
Paynes Bay - Barbados
I use Safari rarely so I guess its a 'percentage' thing - little use = fewer problems. Chrome has been fairly stable for me after its own last update. I'm going to try TapaTalk for this ( and a few other) forums just to see it it works more predictably (?) so time will tell . I jumped on the iOS 7 bandwagon a bit late ( waited for iOS 7.0.4 ) to let the bugs get worked out, and I've found it to be very stable so far, and basically butter smooth. I have intentionally kept the 'frills and frippery' to a minimum, and don't use all of they new features 'just because they are there' .....thus I can honestly say that my battery life on both iPhone (4S) and mini has improved a bit ... and I really had no major issues before.. Keep up the good work with this forum ...both the 'sharing' and the 'tech-support' are awesome .... :) David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dmoskaluk

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 22, 2013
Paynes Bay - Barbados
It's iOS 7 that's causing the Safari crashes, not eiC. I've had it crash here, but it's also crashing on other websites. I've also read reports of others having trouble with Safari on various websites on 7.x. The more time you spend on Safari, the more you will notice this. I spend all day on mobile Safari and it happens about once a day.

Please use the quote feature when you are quoting someone. It causes confusion when you don't. My post looked like it was part of yours since it wasn't quoted. I'll fix it for you.
Got it now ( I think !) took a while to figure out how to 'quote' ... I'm new to this game so bear with me and feel free to fix or correct stuff which I've got formatted the wrong way .... There' same lot of 'trial and error' in many of my processes :)

Sent using iCafe app

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Just a heads up that I'm still working on getting this build up, running and off to the App Store. The process this time around required significantly more legwork. Without going into detail, it's harder this time around due to expiring certificates which need to be renewed. I'll update this thread once I have more concrete info to share.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
A new version has been submitted to the App Store and is 'waiting for review'. The App Store review process closes for the holidays on Saturday I believe, so there's a slim chance this will make it under the wire. Fingers crossed.

RBNetEngr

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 17, 2013
A new version has been submitted to the App Store and is 'waiting for review'. The App Store review process closes for the holidays on Saturday I believe, so there's a slim chance this will make it under the wire. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for the update. I look forward to having a usable eiC app again.

Are you also updating the keyboard to the iOS 7 look?

-rb

RBNetEngr

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 17, 2013
I wanted to add that I am not having the app crash completely, but it looks like it fails but merely goes into running in the background. Whichever threads cause this to happen are never viewable. They will cause this to happen repeatedly.

-rb

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Thanks for the update. I look forward to having a usable eiC app again.

Are you also updating the keyboard to the iOS 7 look?

-rb
Thanks for your patience. Unfortunately, it looks like we'll have to wait until after the App Store review team comes back from their winter break. We're in the queue, so it shouldn't be too much longer.

Yes, the keyboard supports the new iOS 7 look, as does much of the app. It's a major rewrite of the app and I hope you like it.

Here's a screenshot of the new keyboard.

IMG_0507.PNG

RBNetEngr

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 17, 2013
Great! Keep up the good work!

-rb