iCal Sync disconnect error with iPhone Mac

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

mansana

Jul 8, 2007
I have been trying to sync my calendars to my iPhone for two days and hope/need to get it working before work on Monday (tomorrow) or else I'll be in working off paper sheets.

I have four calendars in iCal, 3 personal calendars and one rather busy work calendar. When I sync I get the following error:

"iTunes could not sync calendars to the iPhone because the iPhone disconnected"

This in fact isn't true as it doesn't disconnect. After a few hours of trouble shooting I realized that it's my busy work calendar that creates this error.

All others sync fine, but when I add the work calendar or try to sync the work calendar alone I get this error. I tried deleting past entries, limiting my recurring meetings to one year, but I cant get it to work. I tried reseting the iPhone software and restoring, exporting the calendar to a new calendar, none of which work.

I noticed someone else had the same trouble, but I haven't seen any answers.

I will call Apple soon, but I'm dreading being asked to repeat everything I've done in the past two days.

Again the error message is:

"iTunes could not sync calendars to the iPhone because the iPhone disconnected"

Thanks in advance.

Ck

DaveB

Jul 18, 2007
iPhone disconnected

You, too, huh? Have you discovered a solution yet?

As I watch the sync progress, I can see the iPhone syncs the Contacts okay, chews on the Calendar sync for a while, then (in the iTunes display) changes to "Syncing iPhone..." but then gives the "iPhone disconnected" error message. When I check the Calendar, it has not synced, but my Contacts have updated (the prior sync step).

I, too, tried disabling my Work Calendar, but no help there.

Anyone...Bueller...?

mansana

Jul 8, 2007
Resolution that worked for me

DaveB,

I was able to resolve this. I posted my resolution on the Apple Forum. I'm posting here as well. Hope this works for you.

-------Snip-----------
Ok. I seemed to have resolved my issue. I guess my calendar was corrupt or I have some never ending entries that I couldn't find. Thanks for the suggestions.

To solve my issue I created a new calendar, and simply re-entered each entry in the new calendar. I sync'd and it worked great.

Enjoy your iPhones.

-------End Snip--------

You, too, huh? Have you discovered a solution yet?

As I watch the sync progress, I can see the iPhone syncs the Contacts okay, chews on the Calendar sync for a while, then (in the iTunes display) changes to "Syncing iPhone..." but then gives the "iPhone disconnected" error message. When I check the Calendar, it has not synced, but my Contacts have updated (the prior sync step).

I, too, tried disabling my Work Calendar, but no help there.

Anyone...Bueller...?

MadDog

Jul 20, 2007
What worked for me

I tried to iSync reset first and that didn't work. I then deleted all of my calendars in iCal and set them up again. That worked. No more error message about disconnecting. The day before I had deleted several recurring items in two calendars and had added a calendar and then deleted it. This may have caused some kind of issue with iCal, what I don't know. I think the error message for this problem needs some work to be more accurate.

MadDog

Jul 23, 2007
Alabama
Disconnect syncing iCal

I tried to iSync reset first and that didn't work. I then deleted all of my calendars in iCal and set them up again. That worked. No more error message about disconnecting. The day before I had deleted several recurring items in two calendars and had added a calendar and then deleted it. This may have caused some kind of issue with iCal, what I don't know. I think the error message for this problem needs some work to be more accurate.

MadDog
I am having the same problem. I clear the "re-sync history" and it didn't work for me. Only problem is the one calendar I want to sync is the main one with lots of entries I would prefer not to type. Since I have spent a lot of time on this I will try exporting the old calendar and importing it into a new one to see if that will get rid of the problem.

MadDog

Jul 20, 2007
ICal sync disconnect error

I left out the part where I have my calendar in an IT system. I export that calendar as a text file and then import into iCal so that I can sync my iPhone. It's a bit of a pain but it works. Therefore it was easy for me to recover my existing calendar. I think a may have encountered an error in iCal when I deleted some recurring tasks I no longer needed. You wouldn't think that should cause a problem, but!

Jul 23, 2007
Alabama
Exporting ical calendar didn't work

I am having the same problem. I clear the "re-sync history" and it didn't work for me. Only problem is the one calendar I want to sync is the main one with lots of entries I would prefer not to type. Since I have spent a lot of time on this I will try exporting the old calendar and importing it into a new one to see if that will get rid of the problem.
When I got home tonight I tried exporting the calendar I was having problems with and importing it into a new one but I guess the corruption came with the import.

I am at a loss now what to do. :mad:

MadDog

Jul 20, 2007
I wish I had another suggestion that might help. I know how frustrating these things can be. One other thing you might try and may have already is try saving your existing calendar in several parts such as one or two months at a time, then importing each and see when the problem occurrs. Hope this shows something.

Good Luck,

MadDog

Jul 23, 2007
Alabama
moved all calendar entries

I wish I had another suggestion that might help. I know how frustrating these things can be. One other thing you might try and may have already is try saving your existing calendar in several parts such as one or two months at a time, then importing each and see when the problem occurrs. Hope this shows something.

Good Luck,

MadDog
Thanks MadDog, I stayed up late last night. I created a new calendar in iCal then moving entries by editting each. I deselected the problem calendar from syncing (but didn't delete it) I checked the new calendar to sync and it worked fine. Wasn't as hard as I thought but took a bit of time.

Aug 24, 2007
Fixed iCal sync problem

I was able to this iCalendar problem on a client's iPhone. It seems that the iPhone calendar sync can't handle calendar items with blank subject lines. I added subjects or deleted the blank calendar entries, and it worked fine. (I had the same problem with a Blackberry a few weeks earlier.)You can see the calendar entries as list by changing Outlook 2003 'view' to 'All Appointments'. It makes this issue easier to troubleshoot. John Onward Technologies (http://www.onwardtek.com)

Aug 26, 2007
iPhone Geek

I was able to this iCalendar problem on a client's iPhone. It seems that the iPhone calendar sync can't handle calendar items with blank subject lines. I added subjects or deleted the blank calendar entries, and it worked fine. (I had the same problem with a Blackberry a few weeks earlier.)You can see the calendar entries as list by changing Outlook 2003 'view' to 'All Appointments'. It makes this issue easier to troubleshoot. John Onward Technologies (http://www.onwardtek.com)
John... Thanks a million... your posting was exactly what I needed to know to fix my problem (iCal Sync disconnect error with iPhone Mac). Thanks for taking the time to post your findings.

HotPhone

Nov 26, 2008
Did the trick

I tried a bunch of other so-called fixes but this is the one that did the trick. Thanks HP