iChat on iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by Pakmarshal, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Pakmarshal

Pakmarshal New Member

Hi everyone,
    I m blackberry user planning to switch to iPhone 4 (NOT iPhone 4S) , I understand that I can update my iPhone 4 OS to iOS5.
    Please tell me that would I able to use iChat on iPhone 4. I only want it for text chat (NOT FaceTime or something like that - I am not familiar with that). I believe iChat is just like Black berry messenger.

Please do reply me in this regards,
    Waiting for your reply so that i can choose iPhone4 accordingly.

Thanks
    Maverick.

#1 Pakmarshal, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2014
  2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

3. iam12no

iam12no New Member

It's known as iMessage. It is similar to Blackberry's messenger. You can use it to text for free over wi-fi or 3G.

4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

See the link I provided? iMessage and iChat are two different things. ;)

5. iam12no

iam12no New Member

I'm very familiar with iChat. It is my belief the user above meant iMessage. He referenced Crackberry's messenger app. If he truly wants iChat , best app is Beejive.

6. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

What about WhatsApp? You get cross-platform compatibility which we all know works ;)

7. Pakmarshal

Pakmarshal New Member

Thanks you guys for your response.
    by reading your post I thnk :confused: what I want is iMessage, I mentioned iChat very due to my lack of knowledge about the platform and its apps.

Thanks
    Maverick.

8. Sravanikishore

Bronze

Does imessage works only when we have a net connection

9. ~DS~

~DS~ Member
    Bronze

They won't be anymore, they are now iMessage as in Mountain Lion. The services used in iChat would be incorporated in iMessage, I could be wrong tho.

Sent from my iPhone 4

10. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Yes, need a data connection of some sort.
    Just to clear it up, iChat is an instant messaging client that works on AIM, Yahoo, and XMPP.

Through XMPP, you can talk to things like Google Talk, Facebook, MSN/Live, and anything else that has an open XMPP server.

As it turns out, Apple took XMPP and made all sorts of things - push notifications, FaceTime, and now iMessage. But it is not clear whether their iMessage service is open or closed.

The new Mountain Lion Messages app includes the original iChat features (AIM, Yahoo, XMPP) as well as support for iMessage and FaceTime. iOS's Messages app does not have iChat, though. I wouldn't count on it getting iChat, as that would require building in support for the additional protocols and connecting to another server for each account/service.