ichat or AIM app?

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT!

I an just wondering what is the reason that we don't have ichat or AIM app like the sidekick does? is it a contract thing with t-mobile or something?

again this is not a complaint.. i was just wondering if there are legal issues that prevent this for the iPhone?

thanks

ben1380

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT!

I an just wondering what is the reason that we don't have ichat or AIM app like the sidekick does? is it a contract thing with t-mobile or something?

again this is not a complaint.. i was just wondering if there are legal issues that prevent this for the iPhone?

thanks
its because Steve blow Jobs doesn't give a crap about his current customers as long as people keep buying Apples new products.

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
well you do you have Apollo Im and mobile chat both will do aol, but I have connectivity issues. It stays online for about and hour before I got to reconnect. I actually have better luck with iPhone.mundu.com

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
thanks for the response.. yes i use meebo but it is a web app and when i open another window it kills it....sidekick is an app that runs all the time.. 24/7 i use aim a lot and like that feature about the sidekick.... i just think tha the iPhone is better and could run it better too....

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
its just like mms, you would think that they would include it in such a good phone. Apollo Im does the job well and has aol sounds but it wont stay connected. I don't know if its being on wifi as opposed to edge or what. I want a good reliable im app

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
yes id like a AIM app too....... i just see it on the sidekick that my cousin has and know that it would look and run better on the iPhone

fs27

Sep 9, 2007
try Meebo.com

Aug 28, 2007
does the aim app for the iPhone charge texts?

Aug 20, 2007
I honestly don't know....there isn't really a contact us link on their website, but there is an email addy if you are interested in being a dev, so maybe you could shoot off an email there.

One thing that would lead me to think not, is on the page they talk about it being lite wait etc, so it works well over EDGE as well as WiFi, if it were using your texts, I don't think they would bring this up, because your network doesn't matter that much with texting. As well as the fact that if you are signed into it, you show as online on buddy lists, not as mobile. That would lead me to believe it's straight data, but I am no expert.

I knew that I am a text whore when I got the iPhone, so I went ahead and did the unlimited plan...lol. :p

According to another thread on this site:
"your data plan is unlimited so no, and it will not use up your sms messages. To get a free screename go to www.aim.com"

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca

thanks for the response..

i use meebo now but im looking for something that will run as an app on the phone. one i close the net(go to the home pagea) meebo dies out. then i have to log in and im locked to meebo, if i wanna make a call or check another website then meebo kicks me off... id an AIM that is like the one on the sidekick .. it runs all the time..

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
you can try this:

http://blog.twenty08.com/mobilechat/

I don't use aol much, hopefully something like this comes out for Yahoo Messenger :laugh2:
thanks this is what i was looking for but i cannot install it..... my phone went into recovery mode and the program aborted when i tried to install apptapp... but ye this is what i want Apple to make.. crap at this point i'd pay for it....( i use AIM a lot)

ngl1145

Jun 30, 2007
I love this messenger service

try http://beejive.com

Does aim, MSN, etc all in one! Love this instant messaging app. My only complaint is that it doesn't vibrate or make a sound when a new message appears.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
try http://beejive.com

Does aim, MSN, etc all in one! Love this instant messaging app. My only complaint is that it doesn't vibrate or make a sound when a new message appears.

thanks i really do appreciate all the responses... but i have used all the web apps and would like a phone app...
again thanks

Aug 20, 2007
thats still web (safari based), not a native app. Looks good though, better than Meebo's offering

muckymucky

Bronze
Aug 19, 2007
aye Bay~Bay~
ApolloIM & MobileChat

the native AIM apps: ApolloIM and MobileChat are both fast growing aim apps for the iPhone. i've used both and have set on using mobilechat for now because it stays connected and the interface is very iPhone. their updates have been a few times a week, but the last week, it seemed like both of them took a break at coding.

mobilechat is my idea of an AIM app on the iPhone if it had one. i cant wait till they perfect it.

as for "WHY DO WE NOT HAVE AIM" i think i've read that because APPLE couldnt come in to agreement with what AT&T's wants in terms of charging for Instant Messaging. so i think Apple is just letting the consumers win this one by leaving vulnerabilities in the iPhone software to be hackable.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
the native AIM apps: ApolloIM and MobileChat are both fast growing aim apps for the iPhone. i've used both and have set on using mobilechat for now because it stays connected and the interface is very iPhone. their updates have been a few times a week, but the last week, it seemed like both of them took a break at coding.

mobilechat is my idea of an AIM app on the iPhone if it had one. i cant wait till they perfect it.

as for "WHY DO WE NOT HAVE AIM" i think i've read that because APPLE couldnt come in to agreement with what AT&T's wants in terms of charging for Instant Messaging. so i think Apple is just letting the consumers win this one by leaving vulnerabilities in the iPhone software to be hackable.

thanks for the response.. my brother has a razor with AIM app and he is on att/cingular as well.. why is that? weird.....

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
right now I am using a combo of mobile chat and bee jive . I like the look of what bee jive has going on and I also like the server time out option. I am also using mobile chat cause for a native app it does pretty good. I was using Apollo but when I was on mobile chats trouble ticket page I saw some fixes for issues I was having so I decided to give them a chance to fix those issues and If they get it fixed I will be sound as a pound ! Keep your fingers crossed for a good aim app, its either going to be here soon or is here and going to be fixed real soon .

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
i want mobile chat but i have a non intel mac and not sure that i can install it but mobile chat by twenty 08 os what im looking for... anyone know if i can use this with the non intel mac?

thanks