iClarified - How to Create Custom Ringtones for a 1.1.2 iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

slevytam

Nov 29, 2007
Hi,

I tried to follow a few of the different tutorials on creating custom ringtones but ran into some problems...

The first big problem I ran into was the need to manually create a Ringtones folder in your iTunes Music directory. Once I did this I was able to successfuly add a ringtone to iTunes; however, after I synced my iPhone the ringtone did not show up! Turns out that a 36 second ringtone is to long. (Even though it worked in iTunes).

I created a tutorial with screenshots detailing every step I took. I hope it helps someone. You can find it here:
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=414

Enjoy!

slevytam

Nov 29, 2007
sorry this does not work with 1.1.1 iPhones. As far as I am aware iTunes 7.5 does work with 1.1.1. (At least it did for me)

GailLA

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Northern IL
Excellent tutorial. Many thanks! Works like a charm on my Windows machine, with the most minor of "translation" to the equivalent iTunes for Windows dialogs.

slick

Sep 13, 2007
i cant rename my file any help guys im using windows i rename it but when i go check its still m4a what up?

slevytam

Nov 29, 2007
i will post a windows tutorial later tonight; however, how are you renaming the file? what makes you think its still .m4a? after dragging it to the desktop just right click and choose rename.

btw, make sure windows is set to show file extensions...

slick

Sep 13, 2007
i am saying its still m4a because when i check it in properties it says that and another thing when i rename it then double click to add to iTunes it goes to the playlist and not to ringtones help please thanks

Atlas

Bronze
Oct 14, 2007
Love the tutorial and it worked for two songs but for most of the ones I wanted to use from my CD collection or songs purchased from iTunes I get "protected songs can not be converted" prompt when I get to the convert to aac part of the steps.

Is there a way around this?