iClarified - *NEW* How to Create Custom iPhone Ringtones Using GarageBand

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slevytam

Nov 29, 2007
Hi,

Today Apple posted an update to their GarageBand software. This update adds the great new feature of Ringtone creation!

GarageBand now lets you create a ringtone from a mp3 and export to iTunes. This has a few advantages over the old way we used to do it. Now you can easily apply a filter to the song which will drop the base frequencies. This is what causes a lot of ringtones to sound distorted on the iPhone.

I have created a tutorial on how to use this new GarageBand feature. You can find it here:
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=465

As usual there is a lot of screenshots to help you along the way!

Enjoy

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
Hi,

Today Apple posted an update to their GarageBand software. This update adds the great new feature of Ringtone creation!

GarageBand now lets you create a ringtone from a mp3 and export to iTunes. This has a few advantages over the old way we used to do it. Now you can easily apply a filter to the song which will drop the base frequencies. This is what causes a lot of ringtones to sound distorted on the iPhone.

I have created a tutorial on how to use this new GarageBand feature. You can find it here:
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=465

As usual there is a lot of screenshots to help you along the way!

Enjoy
It doesn't flippin' work for me! So frustrating. I try to drag MP3s and AAC (unprotected) files from iTunes into GB, and it doesn't work. It looks like it's loading, even shows a progress bar, then NOTHING. It's empty. What gives?

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
the other tutorial is on iLounge and I find this one superior and better detail and clearer/easier to follow. Good job.

For the folks above having trouble. I also had trouble at first dragging songs out of iTunes directly into GB. I got it to work once by dragging the song first to desktop and then into GB.

Also be sure you have GB 08 and have the upgrade to 4.1.1 from the other day.

I know nothing about PCs, sorry can't help you there.

I asked in another thread but have not seen an answer yet. After you ahve the ringtone created, can you share it with others. I found no way to download it or move it out of iTunes nor could I find where it was store in the Library.

slevytam

Nov 29, 2007
Thanks!
You can share your ringtones by just sending someone the m4r file you created. Its located in the Music:iTunes:iTunes Music:Ringtones folder.

Lemme know if you have any difficulties!

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Thanks, feel stooooopid, how did I miss that. Even did a search and they didn't turn up.

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
yup, they are free and I was able to email them to my brother and they loaded right into the Ringtone folder of his iTUnes.... awaiting confirmation from him that they worked on his phone... don't see why they wouldn't... not sure if this would work Mac to PC . If the file extension is the same, I would think it might.

Status
Not open for further replies.