iCloud and contacts, calendars & tasks.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
OK, I have an iPhone 4 & and iPad2, and also have over 3300 contacts. I would hate to lose them. I just sync'd my iPhone to iCloud and downloaded them to my iPad. It worked great.

I also, after several attempts, installed the iCloud control panel and FINALLY got it to sync. Now I have buyer's remorse and feel I have put my contacts in jeopardy. I use Outlook 2007 on a Windows 7 64-bit system. Same holds true with my calendar and reminders.

In Outlook, my contacts move out of the "Contacts" folder and into the "iCloud" folder. My fear is that when I stop using iCloud, I'll lose my contacts to the cloud. So this is a two part question: first - how safe are my contacts on the idevices? And, second, what is the best way now, to back them up. (I do have some archived copies of 99% of the contacts somewhere on a ext. drive, but I like easy restores)

The Calendars are divided in two the three that I have had. Tasks & Reminders seem to still be separate.

Thanks,

Target

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
I had the same situation and same fear. What I did was export my contacts and calendar to an outlook PST file. Than I brought them back to outlook put them in personal folders for good keeping. I also as habit backup up my contacts and calendars monthly and keep them on a backup drive. This protects me from a catastrophe or at least I hope it does.

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
First off, thank you. That is reassuring.

I too back up constantly. But MU fear centers on, if the cloud goes away will it continue to sync, see nothing, and remove the contacts. Yesterday I I'm-checked the contact in the control panel and it gave the option to keep a copy or remove the contacts. While I like that option of keeping contacts, we all know the cloud is not that reliable at times.

Anyway, thanks for the response, let's continue and see how this plays out.

Target

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app