iCloud back up excluding photos option?

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by gadgetgal, Apr 9, 2012.

1. gadgetgal

gadgetgal Member
    Bronze

I am considering backing up my iPhone to iCloud vs. PC.I would prefer to keep it backed up to PC but I like backing up with no wires, and Wifi sync is not 100% reliable-every several days it stops working until I plug it in via USB. I'm done fussing with it. The thing is, iTunes gives the option to not back up photos wheras I don't see that option on the Cloud. I don't want my pictures going to the Cloud. I have a thing about pictures of my kids being in some information highway loop, or even for that matter, pictures of my other family or self. I don't send MMS pictures either. It's a personal preference.
    So is there any way to not back my pictures up to iCloud?

2. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

On your phone select settings, iCloud. Down the bottom, select Storage and Backup. Once there select Manage Storage, click on the button for your phone and down the bottom of the page under Backup options turn off Camera Roll. That should take care of it.

3. gadgetgal

gadgetgal Member
    Bronze

Thank you talon90. That was exactly what I needed.
    Now I just have to decide if I'm going with iCloud or sticking with my intermittent fussiness problem with Wifi sync, as it affects both my phone and iPad. Since I'm not backing up anything but apps and calendar, contacts, I'm not worried about using up the 5GB of free storage, but I do see that settings have to be tweaked with it even still, so I may end up just doing the stupid USB cable sync (and Wifi when it works) deal. Annoying, but whatever. I don't feel like doing the whole nine yards of re-setting the router baloney; it's not worth it. And one of the things I really wish iCloud would do is allow for automatic UPDATES of apps, but it doesn't do that, so I'd still have to either plug in or do the updates on the devices directly, so the jury is out on all of this. But I am glad to know I have the option to not backup pictures because if iCloud is something I'll still use, that's good then.

4. Simonal

Simonal New Member

The thing with backing up to ICloud is that it only has to back up your app data not the apps.

All apps and music purchased through iTunes are already stored under your Apple ID, provided that is the same account as your ICloud account.

So if you need to do a restore you can and a clean one too. As you restore the phone to factory settings, downloading a brand new clean copy of your system files, then when signing into ICloud you use your existing ID and it offers you the choice to restore from backup. It then restores your apps and data.

But it will not restore any items you have put on your phone via your computer such as music you have added to iTunes locally from a CD or pictures via IPhoto. To restore that you need to sync with your computer again.

The main difference is that if you have corruption in your software when you do a restore from your backup in iTunes on your computer then any corruption could be transferred across when you restore from your computer iPhone backup.

While using the ICloud method gives you a fresh copy of the IOS.

Hope this helps

Simon

5. gadgetgal

gadgetgal Member
    Bronze

Thanks Simon-that is definitely helpful. One of the things that sounds good is a clean restore option. Fortunately I only ever had to restore my iPhone once in these 5 years (I've had every version since launch)-I think it was my iPhone 4 and it froze. It was fine after the restore.
    On my phone and iPad, I only have iTunes purchased music anyway, but it would be no big deal if I had to sync from computer. (though I certainly don't plan to have a frozen phone again!)
    I guess I find it tiresome to have to update apps from the device itself unless I want to plug in to do so (or in cases where it is too large an update to do via Wifi), the very USB tethered to computer option I am trying to minimize which Wifi sync was supposed to accomplish! When it works, it works and it's handy, but I just can't be bothered going through all these "solution finding" steps and workarounds, etc. It worked beautiful for a long time and now back to the intermittent deal again, working for a while only after I do a USB sync, only to then stop.
    Because I really haven't dabbled with iCloud, how often does it backup? Is it automatic once you tell iPhone to use iCloud? And is it true that I need to go through each and every app to turn off in iCloud settings so that I don't use up my 5GB? (I'm not about to purchase more storage). I literally am only backing up contacts, apps, and calendar.
    Thanks!

6. Simonal

Simonal New Member

Hi

Yes the WiFi sync was working for me fine and then stopped working without being prompted to start a synchronisation!
    Which is annoying in the extreme as it becomes a little un-reliable but since I use ICloud for the backup that is fine for data security. Although not for updates to playlists and other Computer iTunes updates.

ICloud backs up when the following conditions are met:
    Plugged in
    Phone (or I assume the device as I do not have an Ipad to check that out but I assume it is the same)
    WiFi connected to the internet

My last back up was at 04:45 am

I did this because I seem to have had a software glitch on my phone where calls were dropping and on the advice of an Apple store genius I backed up via ICloud and then restored the phone to factory settings - which ironically requires you to connect it to your computer, then restored my data from my new ICloud backup, then synched with my computer to restore my music library other local Computer iTunes content.

Seems to have cleared out the issue which is good news. (Oh it is a 4S in case this helps anyone else)

My backup is only around 1.1gb even though I have around 200 active apps but the great thing is that this is only app data and not the apps themselves. Because it already knows which apps you have purchased/downloaded from iTunes so does not need to back these up again as it has the source direct from iTunes on-line.

The backup seems to work by only storing the latest version of your data back up in your ICloud account, I assume that there are other versions of the backup but the only one that seems to show is the current one. This is incidentally the same size as when I first backed up with ICloud so has not grown, which is generally what I would expect.

I back up all apps and all data inc photos (but I do not use Photostream)

I assume that if I had an IPad that it would take up around the same amount of space again for a similar mix of apps but I am sure that I will find out soon!

Hope this helps clarify how it works

7. gadgetgal

gadgetgal Member
    Bronze

I just weighed back in. Thanks Simonal. My Wifi sync has been okay, but I'm still debating about just using the Cloud.
    Basically, all I want is to have my calendar backed up in case I ever have to do a restore (which has only been once or so), but also some data from other apps if possible. As you pointed out, no need to app backup since the iTunes account holds all that information. Also, like on my iPad, I have a Save2Pdf app in which I'd want to know those PDFs created would be restored. (perhaps that sort of thing is app specific in terms of whether they back up things at all). I never had to restore my iPad so I never lost any of those PDFs, and now I have an iPad 2 but PDFs on my 1 and have to investigate how I can transfer them if they can't go to the Cloud. I haven't really looked. Docs to Go is another and I use it on both, but then again, it also can go on the desktop as well, though I'd love a Cloud copy just in case. I guess that sort of thing I need to investigate.

8. Simonal

Simonal New Member

I would have thought that this would include any app data so that should include you saved PDFs too as they do form app data.

This is only a theory as I have not tried it myself but this should be the same process as if you get a new iPhone.
    When you get a new one after activation you get the choice to restore from a previous backup or phone. So I would have thought when you set up your Ipad2 you could do the same from your ICloud backup of your Ipad1.