iCloud Backup Could not be completed?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Try a hard reset. If that doesn't work, connect to your computer via USB, open iTunes, select "backup to this computer," complete a backup, open iCloud on your phone, delete your iCloud backup, go back to iTunes and select "backup to iCloud," then open iCloud on your phone and do a backup on WiFi.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Try a hard reset. If that doesn't work, connect to your computer via USB, open iTunes, select "backup to this computer," complete a backup, open iCloud on your phone, delete your iCloud backup, go back to iTunes and select "backup to iCloud," then open iCloud on your phone and do a backup on WiFi.
I rebooted. I keep getting the backupd crashed when I try. I did a full backup using iTunes. I always do both before restoring.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
None of this worked. I'm restoring to factory. Anyway, I should be getting a new iPhone tomorrow.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
None of this worked. I'm restoring to factory. Anyway, I should be getting a new iPhone tomorrow.
But the iTunes backup completed, right? If so, just use that if you get a new phone. It will be faster than applying an iCloud backup anyway.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Any update on this, it seems bizarre that a backup attempt failed when trying both iCloud and iTunes?
Tell me about it. Maybe it was the SkipLock corruption coming back to haunt me. That's what I get for downloading a tweak that I really didn't need. Ugh.
But the iTunes backup completed, right? If so, just use that if you get a new phone. It will be faster than applying an iCloud backup anyway.
Yes, the iTunes backup completed. Than I restored and ran an iCloud, which worked, and another iTunes backup.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Tell me about it. Maybe it was the SkipLock corruption coming back to haunt me. That's what I get for downloading a tweak that I really didn't need. Ugh.
Yes, the iTunes backup completed. Than I restored and ran an iCloud, which worked, and another iTunes backup.
So when you said yesterday that "none of this worked" in reply to my suggestions it really did work?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You're confused. That was before I restored to 8.1.1. Nothing worked on 8.1 jailbroken. Today's issue was with the new iPhone I received today.
That doesn't make sense. How could you apply an iCloud backup to the new phone if you were unable to make one yesterday before you restored?

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
That doesn't make sense. How could you apply an iCloud backup to the new phone if you were unable to make one yesterday before you restored?
Ok, One more time. I restored from iTunes after your suggestions didn't work. Than I ran an iCloud backup and it worked. Than when I got the new iPhone, I applied the backup that I ran after I restored from iTunes.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Ok, One more time. I restored from iTunes after your suggestions didn't work. Than I ran an iCloud backup and it worked. Than when I got the new iPhone, I applied the backup that I ran after I restored from iTunes.
My comment to you was not meant as an insult. I hope you're not taking it that way. I'm frustrated. I've never had so many problems with an iPhone before.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
My comment to you was not meant as an insult. I hope you're not taking it that way. I'm frustrated. I've never had so many problems with an iPhone before.
I got it now. Were you using WinterBoard at the time when iCloud wasn't backing up? I just read that a new version of WinterBoard came out today and that the previous one was causing problems with iCloud backups.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I got it now. Were you using WinterBoard at the time when iCloud wasn't backing up? I just read that a new version of WinterBoard came out today and that the previous one was causing problems with iCloud backups.
@EverythingApple Are you running Winterboard? There was an update today that fixes iCloud backup issues.
Yes, I was. But that's all water under the bridge now.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yes, I was. But that's all water under the bridge now.
It's still very nice to know what was causing it. I think you and I look at things differently here. I want to know the underlying cause...even if it is after the fact. Learning stuff like this helps us figure things out in the future. For example, now that I know this, I look back on it and think testing making an iCloud backup in safe mode would have been a good troubleshooting step for me to recommed at the time.