iCloud backup - possible rip off!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
Okay here's a annoying little tidbit for you:

For the past couple of days I received iOS alerts and Apple sent emails that I was over my 5-gig limit. Backups did not occur. Once I upgraded, my backup went fine. What's odd is the backup isn't over 5-gig. Why did I have to upgrade to get the back up to work if it was under my limit if 5-gig?

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1384274025.203050.jpg

Sent from iPhone 5 using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
There's no way I'd pay for extra iCloud space. It's not a scam, but it's a completely avoidable cost if you own a computer. If I had several iDevices and was nearing my 5 GB iCloud limit, I'd just stop backing one of them up to iCloud and just back it up to my computer like I did for all those years before iCloud backups were available.

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
I respect and value your opinion, thank you, but it's $20 year. Cost isn't that big of a deal. I carry documents, photos of notes, some inked notes and my pics. Apparently 5-gigs worth. I also travel. So having my data backed up while on the road isn't my issue. It's a personal phone and I travel with a company laptop. If my iPhone is lost or destroyed on a Monday, by Tuesday, I'm back up and running.

My concern is that it stopped backing up because I was over my 5-gig limit. I upped it to 15-gig and my backup is now showing under 5. Why would it not continue to back up with the 5-gigs of space prior to the upgrade?

Sent from iPhone 5 using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yeah, it's important for me to backup my phone to iCloud as well. It's just not a big deal with my other devices. Also, whenever possible, which is every time in the past so far, I make an iTunes backup for use right before restoring. It's faster that way. The iCloud backup is for an emergency. I use free alternate services such as DropBox to get more space.

Anyway, to answer your question, perhaps it estimated that it would be just over 5 GB before it made the backup and thereforee gave you the error. It might also need some space to work with. I'm not certain as I've never gotten that close to the 5.