iCloud backup

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
Should a backup really take this long??

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1475255093.449142.jpg

It's a 64 GB phone that has never been backed up to iCloud before. I think my connection speed is decent.

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1475255190.528100.jpg

It's already been going about 45 minutes and has increased the estimate to 9 hours since I took the photo.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
Is your family using the WiFi now? You could try canceling it and starting it again when everyone goes to sleep.
Even that doesn't seem to matter. Here is how it looked last night just before I went to bed.
ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1475426923.485504.jpg

And it hasn't moved much in the past 9 hours either. We are over 48 hours now. I'm about to give up.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Even that doesn't seem to matter. Here is how it looked last night just before I went to bed.
View attachment 44806
And it hasn't moved much in the past 9 hours either. We are over 48 hours now. I'm about to give up.
I would just stick with iTunes for backups for now. You could try it again if you increase your internet speed at some point.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I agree with Europa on this. You waited how long for the device to show up and still waiting over 48hrs to be able to use it?
Just restore from a backup on iTunes ( if you ever figured out the password of course )

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
I agree with Europa on this. You waited how long for the device to show up and still waiting over 48hrs to be able to use it?
Just restore from a backup on iTunes ( if you ever figured out the password of course )
Oh, I started using it the day after I received it. I just couldn't do a full restore from my old phone due to the forgotten encryption password and slow iCloud backup.

I decided this past weekend to manually install the apps I wanted on the new phone. But for some reason, I still wanted an iCloud backup before resetting the old phone for my wife to then use. I brought the old phone to work today, and speeds here are MUCH better. 12-13 Mbps for both download AND Upload speeds. So it's progressing much better. Still doesn't look like it will be done before I leave work tonight, but I'm guessing if I come back by around 8 PM or so tonight, it should be done. And I only live a half mile from the office, so it's not a major deal to come back.

Then I can restore my wife's iPhone 5S to the iPhone 6. Of course, the kids are begging for the 5S. They ain't gettin' it!!