iCloud backup

Discussion in 'iPhone 7' started by bballrob, Sep 30, 2016.

1. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Should a backup really take this long??

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1475255093.449142.jpg

It's a 64 GB phone that has never been backed up to iCloud before. I think my connection speed is decent.

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1475255190.528100.jpg

It's already been going about 45 minutes and has increased the estimate to 9 hours since I took the photo.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's because of your slow upload speed.

3. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I agree with @Europa. 1.36meg upload is going to take awhile

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You have some HUR-ting upload speeds.

[​IMG]

5. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Six and a half hours later and here's where we're at.

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1475279052.033985.jpg

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Is your family using the WiFi now? You could try canceling it and starting it again when everyone goes to sleep.

7. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Even that doesn't seem to matter. Here is how it looked last night just before I went to bed.
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1475426923.485504.jpg
    And it hasn't moved much in the past 9 hours either. We are over 48 hours now. I'm about to give up.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I would just stick with iTunes for backups for now. You could try it again if you increase your internet speed at some point.

9. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I agree with Europa on this. You waited how long for the device to show up and still waiting over 48hrs to be able to use it?
    Just restore from a backup on iTunes ( if you ever figured out the password of course )

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Is this iPhone located reasonably close to the router? Is the speed you posted comparable to the highest you get on your computer?

Have you considered making a router booster?

11. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Oh, I started using it the day after I received it. I just couldn't do a full restore from my old phone due to the forgotten encryption password and slow iCloud backup.

I decided this past weekend to manually install the apps I wanted on the new phone. But for some reason, I still wanted an iCloud backup before resetting the old phone for my wife to then use. I brought the old phone to work today, and speeds here are MUCH better. 12-13 Mbps for both download AND Upload speeds. So it's progressing much better. Still doesn't look like it will be done before I leave work tonight, but I'm guessing if I come back by around 8 PM or so tonight, it should be done. And I only live a half mile from the office, so it's not a major deal to come back.

Then I can restore my wife's iPhone 5S to the iPhone 6. Of course, the kids are begging for the 5S. They ain't gettin' it!!