iCloud competitor Box.net is offering 50GB free storage

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by psylichon, Oct 13, 2011.

1. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Just a heads-up... this is a pretty sweet deal. Download the free Box.net app and sign up for a free account and you get 50GB of cloud storage. Not iCloud-compatible storage, but their app and website are very nice and 50GB is a boatload of room for free. The server is fast, too. I uploaded a full-resolution WAV file and it streamed hiccup free over wifi to my phone. Really easy sharing options, too.

There appears to be no fine print. The offer goes for the next 50 days, but the 50GB is yours forever with no strings attached.

2. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Thanks man.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Cool. DropBox only has 2 GB of free storage. Do you know if there is a file size limitation like there is with DropBox?

4. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

Are you sure it's 50gb and not 5gb? I went to check out the site and didn't see any 50gb offer and the file size limit is 25mb.

EDIT: I installed the app like you said and got the 50gb. Friggin sweet. Thanks for the heads up.

5. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Ah hadn't considered that. I'm reading now it's 25MB? That can't be right... I just uploaded a 43MB WAV file. Let me check for updated specs.

6. psylichon

psylichon Genius

You may need to sign up via the app. I'm not sure. But it's definitely 50GB. I'm looking into the file size limitation because as I said, I just upped a 43MB file.

7. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

Got it! Updated my response above. Thanks!

I was messing around and I think the file size limit is 100mb.