iCloud delivery of email

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by ivantwilliams, Oct 27, 2011.

1. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

I just spoke with Apple support about this.

I've been testing for a few days sending emails to my @me.com email address from my work domain, GMail domain and Yahoo domain...

To say that delivery of email is sporadic and poor, is an understatement. I did the same test with emails to my GMail domain account and they simply deliver instantly, or within one minute. Yes, I know GMail has been developing their email system for what seems like forever, but...

After speaking with Apple Support, they advised to wait a few weeks because the servers are extremely busy. Oh, really?

But, to be honest, I hate to say this, I was\am a long time Mobile ME user, paying that crazy price of $99 a year for the privilege to have all my data on Apple\Mobile ME's servers. Even then, email was slow and sporadic back then, too. Sometimes email simply just wouldn't be delivered, and it is not to say it was stuck in the Junk\Spam folder. It merely would not be delivered to the @me.com account.

So I'm curious, how exactly is it to be different now? Aren't connecting to the same servers, just that it has a new name?

What are your thoughts on using iCloud's @me.com email address?

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Navi, I've experienced absolutely no problems at all with my @me.com email account. I don't use it as my default account but I still use it daily. When sending emails I don't encounter any failures, it's the same with receiving.

I used the free 3 month @me.com account when it was mobileme and I don't recall having problems then either.

I don't know if my location has anything to do with it? I may use different servers to the ones you use in the US.

3. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I haven't even used the account I signed up for, but I'll do a little testing today and see what results I get.

4. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

John it is all rather weird, and annoying really. I remember getting mad when using Mobile ME, and thinking I'm paying for this.

But, now that it is free, it certainly seems worse. I've also been sending emails to a friend that just created an me.com account a few weeks ago, and it is literally hit and miss...

5. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Navi,
    Tried to send you a PM and it wouldn't let me for some reason.
    Of you want to test it some more, shoot me a pm with your @me address.
    Tests I just did we're almost instant from home and work accounts. Maybe it didn't have too many hops, server wise, to make so it came in faster?

6. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I'll PM you my @me.com email. Send me a few emails and we can test if you wish.

7. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Let me know if you can send Navi a pm through the app. Wouldn't let me, app crashed again like prior to the update.

8. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

...thanks to you both. I'll email the both of you shortly...

9. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I hardly use the app, being a mod you've got to see everything. We can mod from the app but we can't see the JB sections :(

10. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

You're welcome.

11. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Duh, never mind. Lol forgot about that.

Just sent Navi a test mail and strange thing is that it sat on Sending...... for about 30 seconds before it went through. But it did show it being sent.

12. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

RoofMonkey, email received, and I replied. Thanks for testing with me...

John, I sent you an email, but it failed. I sent an image of the issue to your PM. Weird really...

BRB

13. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

PM me your email, I'll send you on instead.

14. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

:D

15. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Ivan, got the email, sent reply from my gmail account just a moment ago.
    Not a problem at all helping out with testing. I have to run a quick errand in a few, but I'll keep checking on and off again. Will give it a chance to test via 3g as well as wifi, not that it should make a difference. Try and cover all the bases on this one.

16. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I've still not received anything... if you want me to help, PM me your @me.com email address.

17. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

There are so many topics online about people having issues with PUSH, and even receiving emails via iCloud.

Oddly, John, Scott and I have been testing, and thus far it simply seems to work as it should. Weird, but good.

Now if only I can figure out that 'draft' email thing when creating emails from the iCloud webmail. Then again, this used to happen back in the Mobile ME days.

John and Scott, thanks to the both of you...

18. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Navi, not a problem at all.

19. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Navi, you're welcome :)

I've just replied to your last email, glad it's working as it should be.

20. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

...the iCloud servers are messing up again, PUSH has once again stopped working. I guess it will simply be a while before this is fixed by Apple.

Probably because it is later in the day, and a lot more people are activating and backing up, etc, no?