iCloud Drive Needs an iOS App

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by Europa, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm disappointed that Apple isn't offering an iCloud Drive iOS app to go with their new service. I thought it was going to be comparable to DropBox and Google Drive, but without an app it's only half-baked. It's great for getting files from one computer to another, but worthless in the sense that you can't upload photos and emailed files to iCloud Drive on an iOS device. I found a third party app that allows you view all of your files, but you can't upload to it. I plan on leaving feedback for Apple requesting an app. You can force the full site on iCloud.com, but it is very laggy and difficult to navigate on an iPhone. Apple clearly does not want us using the full site on iCloud on our phones. The full site is far from perfect on an iPad, but it does work better than the phone. I also found a workaround for saving phone photos to iCloud. Instead of putting them in iCloud, start a shared stream and don't invite anyone to it. They won't disappear with time like regular Photostream photos and they will be private since no one was invited to view them. This is an awkward way of doing it, though. I just want to start uploading to iCloud Drive like I do to DropBox.

1. Does anyone know if Apple is working on and app and may offer it in the future?
    2. Does anyone know of a photos app that supports iCloud Drive and allows you to upload pictures to it from an iPhone?

Back when iCloud was still MobileMe, we had an app that worked just like DropBox. It's ridiculous that they aren't offering one now.

2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I still haven't upgraded to Yosemite on my MBP, nor to iOS 8 on my 5s, but I thought integrating the two OS's was part of the whole idea. I agree, however, that it seems rather strange for Apple miss this seemingly key ingredient of their carefully crafted ecosystem.

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

After discovering I already had photos in iCloud Photo Sharing, I've been doing the same thing. I add photos, but don't invite anyone. That may change though.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator