iCloud Error: There was a problem completing the backup

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by slayer666, Jun 29, 2011.

1. slayer666

slayer666 Member
    Bronze

Every time I go to back up through the iCloud it comes up with this error ( see picture) and its really becoming annoying. Can anybody help me solve this problem pleasezz

Cheers Joe

Sent from Joe's iPhone using iCafe app

Attached Files:

2. iNinja

iNinja Zealot
    Gold

That screenshot doesn't look like you are connected to a power source - AFAIK you need to be?

3. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Yes you do... Plugged in, locked, and on WiFi for backups to happen automatically. Plugged in and on WiFi for "Back Up Now" to work.

Michael

4. slayer666

slayer666 Member
    Bronze

That's the thing I'm connected to wifi it does some of the back up then it just stops?

5. iNinja

iNinja Zealot
    Gold

the screenshot you posted doesn't show you connected to power though?

6. slayer666

slayer666 Member
    Bronze

That screen shot was a zoomed in version. Here is the full screen shot.

Attached Files:

7. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

That's the same screen shot and neither it nor the first one are cropped or zoomed in. iNinja was referring to the battery meter in the top right-hand corner. It shows you on battery power and not connected to a power source.

Michael

8. slayer666

slayer666 Member
    Bronze

So i have to have my phone on charge while I do the back up. Does it matter if it's on the normal charger or does it have to be on a computer. Thanks for your help guys I'm such a noob when it comes to technology.

9. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

I was only clarifying about the screen-shot. :)

To be clear: you need to be plugged in, on wifi and the device locked (i.e., it says "slide to unlock" when you press home or power buttons) for backups to work unattended.

But if you want to initiate a backup manually you can do that at any time, doesn't need to be plugged in to power. Not sure you even need wifi if you initiate it (my iOS 5 beta device is my 3GS which is not activated). It takes a while for the first one to finish so might want to keep an eye on it.

Also seems to have bugs with the process. Today my screen showed last back date/time as "never" even though it has done many backups. Tapped backup now and it finished very quickly so it obviously only an incremental backup.

Michael

10. iNinja

iNinja Zealot
    Gold

Agree with Michael ^^ seems to be quite buggy at the moment as you would expect.

You can be connected to either the computer or a/c but your WIFI signal needs to be strong.

11. slayer666

slayer666 Member
    Bronze

I connected to a power source and still came up with the error. Do I just leave it on lock and not open my phone at all. Also this is on the 1st beta does that matter at all?

12. iNinja

iNinja Zealot
    Gold

There are 2 ways to do this. Automatically, when your screen is locked, your on WIFI and you connect to power. The 2nd way is to "back up now" if you do it this way, do not lock your screen! This can effect your WIFI. Give that a go without letting your screen lock!

13. slayer666

slayer666 Member
    Bronze

I had connected to a power source I didn't lock the screen at all didn't play with my phone and it still didn't work. With the power source do I connect it to computer? Not just the battery charger. Would that work?

14. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

If you are running it manually you don't need to be connected to power. Something else is preventing it. I wouldn't worry much about it as backups in the cloud right now are not guaranteed to be there... Apple can delete anything at will during this beta period.

Michael

15. Chaug09

Chaug09 New Member

having the exact same problem. tried plugging into a/c as well as lap top power, wifi signal is strong, keeps saying underneath the backup now button "There was a problem completing the backup. Please try again later." been trying again and again all day and still nothing...