iCloud Error: There was a problem completing the backup

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

slayer666

Bronze
Aug 13, 2009
That's the thing I'm connected to wifi it does some of the back up then it just stops?

Sent from Joe's iPhone using iCafe app

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
That's the same screen shot and neither it nor the first one are cropped or zoomed in. iNinja was referring to the battery meter in the top right-hand corner. It shows you on battery power and not connected to a power source.

Michael

slayer666

Bronze
Aug 13, 2009
So i have to have my phone on charge while I do the back up. Does it matter if it's on the normal charger or does it have to be on a computer. Thanks for your help guys I'm such a noob when it comes to technology.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
So i have to have my phone on charge while I do the back up. Does it matter if it's on the normal charger or does it have to be on a computer. Thanks for your help guys I'm such a noob when it comes to technology.

I was only clarifying about the screen-shot. :)

To be clear: you need to be plugged in, on wifi and the device locked (i.e., it says "slide to unlock" when you press home or power buttons) for backups to work unattended.

But if you want to initiate a backup manually you can do that at any time, doesn't need to be plugged in to power. Not sure you even need wifi if you initiate it (my iOS 5 beta device is my 3GS which is not activated). It takes a while for the first one to finish so might want to keep an eye on it.

Also seems to have bugs with the process. Today my screen showed last back date/time as "never" even though it has done many backups. Tapped backup now and it finished very quickly so it obviously only an incremental backup.

Michael

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Agree with Michael ^^ seems to be quite buggy at the moment as you would expect.

You can be connected to either the computer or a/c but your WIFI signal needs to be strong.

slayer666

Bronze
Aug 13, 2009
I connected to a power source and still came up with the error. Do I just leave it on lock and not open my phone at all. Also this is on the 1st beta does that matter at all?

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
There are 2 ways to do this. Automatically, when your screen is locked, your on WIFI and you connect to power. The 2nd way is to "back up now" if you do it this way, do not lock your screen! This can effect your WIFI. Give that a go without letting your screen lock!

slayer666

Bronze
Aug 13, 2009
I had connected to a power source I didn't lock the screen at all didn't play with my phone and it still didn't work. With the power source do I connect it to computer? Not just the battery charger. Would that work?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
If you are running it manually you don't need to be connected to power. Something else is preventing it. I wouldn't worry much about it as backups in the cloud right now are not guaranteed to be there... Apple can delete anything at will during this beta period.

Michael

Chaug09

Oct 13, 2011
having the exact same problem. tried plugging into a/c as well as lap top power, wifi signal is strong, keeps saying underneath the backup now button "There was a problem completing the backup. Please try again later." been trying again and again all day and still nothing...