iCloud - extra chargeable storage

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by iphonewarrior, May 13, 2013.

1. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Does anyone pay for extra iCloud storage?

Since having the iPhone 5 and using it's camera for both pictures and video I've found that it's really eating up my free 5Gb inclusive storage. I'm tempted to upgrade to 10Gb a year. I have Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, Skydrive and Sugar Sync but none are quite as good as iCloud when it comes to automatic backups.

I have two iPhone's which I use all the time (one for a remote and other my personal phone) an iPad and an iPod Touch all associated to my account. Do you think it's worth using iCloud or is there another option I've not considered?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Why not just use the old method and just backup the personal phone in iCloud and the other ones in iTunes? IMO, it's not worth the extra $20+ a year for more iCloud space when there are free options.

3. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

When the cloud was first announced I had all devices synced to it. Since my family all uses my ID anyway we share music/apps etc already
    Within the sane week we made a change.
    As I see it: with each device you get 5 GB storage. So I got each if us an cloud account. I still share mine with all my devices for now. We still use the same ID and share purchases. And the photos can be streamed as needed now too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

4. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I know what you're saying but I think I want all my info on all my devices, regardless of which one I pick up. Sort of an on-demand type thing, if you get what I mean? I don't want to have to tether my device to a computer for it then to be updated. Lazy, right?

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can sync data (bookmarks, notes, calendars, contacts, reminders, and Photo Stream) without using iCloud to make your iOS backups. iCloud backups and iCloud syncing are two separate things. Using iTunes for one of the backups is a great way to save space. It used to just do syncing back when iCloud was the paid Mobile Me service. Apple added in a backup option for those who don't have a computer and those who were never backing up in iTunes. And they made the whole thing free, but 5 GB isn't enough when you're using it to make iOS backups for multiple devices. I used to pay $99/year just for the syncing, push services and Find My iPhone. One advantage of iTunes backups is that they are a lot faster when you actually apply them. It's not that big of deal to me since that's the way I've done it for years. Also, it's automatic with WiFi sync when you're home as long as you're on WiFi and iTunes is open.