iCloud = Gmail?

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by SweepeR, Oct 12, 2011.

1. SweepeR

SweepeR Member

I don't get this iCloud business. It says I have already used 4.5 GIGS from my 5gigs and i have yet to upload pictures or e-mails as I put my gmail account in it and it doesn't sync my gmail i guess.

says most of the gigs is for iPhone back up...meaning contacts i assume?

says in order to do e-mails you need to make the @me.com e-mail.

So I can't sync gmail to my outlook from my phone with calendar? I put something in the iPhone calendar and didn't sync to outlook or iCal. Is it b/c it is my gmail and not the @me.com email?

if so, can i forward everything form my gmail to a @me.com email i make? so I don't start all over.
  2. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius

that's what I do.
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. SweepeR

SweepeR Member

do you do that from your gmail settings?

dude, where do I check my iMessages to chat from my macbook?

I thought ic an talk with people on iMessage from the mac?

gotta be honest, this is a very shitty method of getting people instructions by apple.
  5. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius

yeah, forwarding is in gmail settings.

you cannot check/send imessages through a computer as far as i know. Maybe you're thinking of facetime... you can facetime people on a mac.
  6. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist

Check your settings under iCloud. It shows the apps and how much space they are using in the cloud. I found that my GPS app and my Zinio app was backing up to the cloud taking up a couple gig. I turned them off so they don't backup.
  7. SweepeR

SweepeR Member

so why does it say you can talk to ppl on iMessage via macbook, iPod, iPad, iPhone?
  8. SweepeR

SweepeR Member

and whats the point of iCloud? I thought if I upload it from my iPhone to my mac i can go into the iCloud app on the macbook and access the files there?
  9. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius

where does "it" say that?
  10. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius

which files? Photos go to iPhoto through the photostream. Documents go to Pages, Excel, Keynote, email goes to mail...
  11. Europa

Europa Moderator

Are the .me/mobileme addresses going to work with iCloud then? I heard they were going to change the .me to something else.
  12. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius

So far, yeah. Got mine transferred earlier, and everything's smooth.
  13. SweepeR

SweepeR Member

so i have to use the Mac e-mail i can't with outlook? now here is my question i guess, if all it does is still sync everything to its original destination such as mail, iPhoto etc. whats the point of it? doesn't gmail ALREADy store its mail in its own server? all this is is basically saving stuff onto apples server to send over to gmail or instance.

for example, i add something in all my calendars, outlook to ical and even my iPhone and they NEVER sync to the other device on its own. i am still adding them 1 by 1 per device.
  14. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius

you can. I was just speaking from a Mac perspective.

it syncs everything to all of your devices. not just the original location.

doesn't really have anything to do with Gmail. with iCloud you get a separate email account. I forward from Gmail because I didn't feel like updating my contact info everywhere.

Not sure about that. iCloud should take care of it for you.
  15. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Thread moved to the iCloud section.
  16. ctmed5408

ctmed5408 New Member

Been using Google calendar for about a month. It syncs with my iPhone just fine and has worked great for me. Now that I upgraded to iOS5, my small feeble mind isn't understanding how to use the cloud instead to do the same thing. All I want to ultimately do is be able to sync the same calendar between my iPhone, ipad and desktop(windows) PC. How can I do this using the cloud or can I?
  17. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius

You can. You just need outlook 2007 or later on your PC and to install the windows iCloud software.
  18. SweepeR

SweepeR Member

my outlook that is using a gmail account on my macbook isn't syncing to my iPhones calendar but i did get it to sync to my iCal.

what settings should it be in on my iPhone so it connects to my gmail calendar in outlook.
  19. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius

20. swampduck

swampduck Member

If you are using gmail, you already have the ability to sync your email, documents, calendars between all devices that you use google on. The iCloud is just a different way to do it, there is some other new things built into it, but it is essentially the same principal
  21. We Beat U

We Beat U Member

My question is, if apps aren't charged against your 5gig quota, why does it show me as already using .5 of a gig for storage? Almost all of that are apps. Shouldn't it just show you how much your are actually using?