iCloud or Dropbox?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Ibrahim Allaf

Bronze
Apr 28, 2011
Dubai, U.A.E.
berryracer.com
I currently have an account with Dropbox that gives me 67 GB of FREE space where I have all my MP3s uploaded and my documents, pics, etc.

Now that I will be getting an iPhone 5 tomorrow. I was wondering what is the best way to go about using this cloud service?

Shall I ditch Dropbox and stick to iCloud?

or shall I stick to Dropbox and ditch iCloud?

How much space does iCloud give you anyway?

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
They each have their benefits. Why not use both? iCloud would be good to sync your contacts, calendars, bookmarks, notes and mail. Dropbox would be good just to store files of any type.
Exactly. In fact I use 3 cloud services across all my OS and iOs devices: iCloud, DropBox, and GoogleDrive. All have their place in managing my files and backups.

Richu75

Dec 6, 2012
How in the world did you get 67 GB of cloudspace with dropbox?

Anyways, I use both, next to skydrive which gives me 25 GB.

talon90

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 17, 2009
I have and continue to use both. iCloud is fantastic for native iOS applications like backing up your device, contacts and app data but it won't let you document and file share. Dropbox is great for file sharing and document storage.

Mugwhamp

Bronze
Jan 3, 2012
I use iCloud, Dropbox, and Microsoft SkyDrive. iCloud handles all of my iOS apps data, Dropbox has my work files, and SkyDrive has my photos. I would also parcel out some of that to Google Drive, but it is often blocked here in China.

Sent from my 3rd-gen iPad using iCafe app

Sc00bz

Oct 8, 2012

Most likely through referrals. I don't know if they still do it, but for the first year Dropbox was out, in exchange for people signing up via a referral, they would expand storage space free of charge.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
Most likely through referrals. I don't know if they still do it, but for the first year Dropbox was out, in exchange for people signing up via a referral, they would expand storage space free of charge.
Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app
I got up to 10GB that way, but 67GB is quite impressive. Nicely done!

iNotes4You

Bronze
Dec 8, 2012
GERMANY
iNotes4You.com
I think you MUST have both as many apps do not support iCloud at the time.
Supporting iCloud is not easy for developers as the API is a bit tricky and at the time there are some apps which can sync without error but many apps where syncing is a continued problem.

iCloud for syncing the basic data from calendar, contacts, reminders, iWork documents and backing up your device is the best and automatic choice.
Most of the 'Non-apple-Apps' support Dropbox (and some only Dropbox) but not iCloud.
When using Dropbox you should know not to save any sensitive data as many of the apps do not support encryption when transmitting data (data in transit) or storing data (data at rest).
A string disadvantage of iCloud is that there is no access via WebDAV. So it is not possible to directly transfer data from iCloud to e.g. Dropbox with a helper app like FileBrowser, GoodReader or FilesConnect.
Have a nice day.

Ibrahim Allaf

Bronze
Apr 28, 2011
Dubai, U.A.E.
berryracer.com

I got 12 or 13 GB from referrals and 50 GB when I bought my Galaxy S3, they give you 50 GB extra space for 2 years the moment you sign in to Dropbox from your Galaxy (takes 1 day to take effect)

Samsung has made this becaue they don't have something like iCloud so they did it for their customers and I got the benefit :)

I gave my S3 to my little sister and im still enjoying my free space

iNotes4You

Bronze
Dec 8, 2012
GERMANY
iNotes4You.com
Just a note:
I checked the Terms and Conditions of 14 cloud providers:
Most of them contain the following regulation:

... reserves the right to terminate Free Accounts at any time, with or without notice.
or
... may remove your content without asking you

and

... We at our discretion may terminate your account if ... you do not engage in any activity for a period of 90 (or 120) days

(e.g. Dropbox, GoogleDrive, Box, SkyDrive, SugarSync)

So keep in mind to check your free accounts after a period of xx days for files you still need.
Anyway I think it's a bit risky to save files on free accounts. For all the companies offering free accounts time will come to make profit. And then nobody knows what will happen to free accounts.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
Both. iCloud for iOS backups and Dropbox for files. And GoogleDrive for work files and some personal ones. Each has their benefits...