iCloud or Dropbox?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Ibrahim Allaf, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Ibrahim Allaf

Ibrahim Allaf Member
    Bronze

I currently have an account with Dropbox that gives me 67 GB of FREE space where I have all my MP3s uploaded and my documents, pics, etc.

Now that I will be getting an iPhone 5 tomorrow. I was wondering what is the best way to go about using this cloud service?

Shall I ditch Dropbox and stick to iCloud?

or shall I stick to Dropbox and ditch iCloud?

How much space does iCloud give you anyway?

2. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

They each have their benefits. Why not use both? iCloud would be good to sync your contacts, calendars, bookmarks, notes and mail. Dropbox would be good just to store files of any type.

3. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

Exactly. In fact I use 3 cloud services across all my OS and iOs devices: iCloud, DropBox, and GoogleDrive. All have their place in managing my files and backups.

4. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

Duplicate post. Content deleted. Apologies.

5. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

Yeh I use dropbox as well as iCloud but Dropbox is so intuitive and a good system to have..

6. Richu75

Richu75 New Member

How in the world did you get 67 GB of cloudspace with dropbox?

Anyways, I use both, next to skydrive which gives me 25 GB.

7. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

I have and continue to use both. iCloud is fantastic for native iOS applications like backing up your device, contacts and app data but it won't let you document and file share. Dropbox is great for file sharing and document storage.

8. Mugwhamp

Mugwhamp Member
    Bronze

I use iCloud, Dropbox, and Microsoft SkyDrive. iCloud handles all of my iOS apps data, Dropbox has my work files, and SkyDrive has my photos. I would also parcel out some of that to Google Drive, but it is often blocked here in China.

Sent from my 3rd-gen iPad using iCafe app

9. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I use Dropbox and iCloud. iCloud is basically used for my backups and Dropbox is used for everything else..

10. iByron

iByron Member
    Bronze

Both, back up important stuff with icloud (contacts, calendar, etc), use drop box for files and other things :)

11. Sc00bz

Sc00bz New Member

Most likely through referrals. I don't know if they still do it, but for the first year Dropbox was out, in exchange for people signing up via a referral, they would expand storage space free of charge.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

12. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

I got up to 10GB that way, but 67GB is quite impressive. Nicely done!

13. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I bought an HTC One X (international version) and got like 25GB free for 2 years.

14. iNotes4You

iNotes4You Member
    Bronze

I think you MUST have both as many apps do not support iCloud at the time.
    Supporting iCloud is not easy for developers as the API is a bit tricky and at the time there are some apps which can sync without error but many apps where syncing is a continued problem.

iCloud for syncing the basic data from calendar, contacts, reminders, iWork documents and backing up your device is the best and automatic choice.
    Most of the 'Non-apple-Apps' support Dropbox (and some only Dropbox) but not iCloud.
    When using Dropbox you should know not to save any sensitive data as many of the apps do not support encryption when transmitting data (data in transit) or storing data (data at rest).
    A string disadvantage of iCloud is that there is no access via WebDAV. So it is not possible to directly transfer data from iCloud to e.g. Dropbox with a helper app like FileBrowser, GoodReader or FilesConnect.
    Have a nice day.

15. Ibrahim Allaf

Ibrahim Allaf Member
    Bronze

I got 12 or 13 GB from referrals and 50 GB when I bought my Galaxy S3, they give you 50 GB extra space for 2 years the moment you sign in to Dropbox from your Galaxy (takes 1 day to take effect)

Samsung has made this becaue they don't have something like iCloud so they did it for their customers and I got the benefit :)

I gave my S3 to my little sister and im still enjoying my free space

16. takako222

takako222 New Member

I use Dropbox

17. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Dropbox for me too!

Sent using iCafe app

18. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I have both and use neither. Ever.

19. iNotes4You

iNotes4You Member
    Bronze

Just a note:
    I checked the Terms and Conditions of 14 cloud providers:
    Most of them contain the following regulation:

... reserves the right to terminate Free Accounts at any time, with or without notice.
    or
    ... may remove your content without asking you

and

... We at our discretion may terminate your account if ... you do not engage in any activity for a period of 90 (or 120) days

(e.g. Dropbox, GoogleDrive, Box, SkyDrive, SugarSync)

So keep in mind to check your free accounts after a period of xx days for files you still need.
    Anyway I think it's a bit risky to save files on free accounts. For all the companies offering free accounts time will come to make profit. And then nobody knows what will happen to free accounts.

20. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Both. iCloud for iOS backups and Dropbox for files. And GoogleDrive for work files and some personal ones. Each has their benefits...