iCloud Photo Duplicates

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by Alkali, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Alkali

Alkali Member
    Bronze

Dear Friends,
    I have tones of duplicate of photos on all my Apple devices running iCloud.Its visually impossible to delete them one by ones as apple suggested because they are not spaced closely, some are not closed to one another.
    i tried both Tidyup and photo cleaner to nor avail.Please help.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Turn off iCloud Photo Library on all of the devices. The photos that weren't taken on the device will be removed from each device. Once only the photos that were taken on each device are showing up on that device only, toggle iCloud Photo Library back on and it will sync the photos.

3. Alkali

Alkali Member
    Bronze

Thanks but I wouldn't want to loose the photos I am seeing now on all my devices, they are old pics taken several years ago. It happened to me once and I have to upload from Dropbox.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Again, they will stay on the phone they were taken on. Nothing will be lost. They will only disappear on the other devices, which is what you need to do to delete the duplicates. Once you toggle it back on they will reappear on the other devices.

5. Alkali

Alkali Member
    Bronze

Problem is I am used to changing phones almost every year as well as the iPad and Mac itself, so most are actually taken with my older iPhones and the like. If I were to sign out of iCloud, I may see nothing on either device.

6. Alkali

Alkali Member
    Bronze

Let me explain more. When I first subscribed to iCloud, I lost all my pictures on the iPad which has all the pictures, the iPhone and Mac has almost nothing. Luckily enough I upload from Dropbox and got everything back after syncing through iCloud. Now if I do as you are saying?

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You're going to have to delete them individually or follow my directions. Back them up first if you are worried about losing them when you toggle off iCloud Photo Library.

8. Alkali

Alkali Member
    Bronze

Thanks very much dear Europa.I have done exactly as you said and i have exact same copies on all the devices but when i opened Photo application on the Mac i noticed it's trying to upload over 1,200 pictures again into the App and i quickly turned off iCloud Photo Library on all the devices pending your reply. I am afraid of having duplicates back on.

9. Alkali

Alkali Member
    Bronze

Or could this have something to do with the fact I have deleted MY RECENTLY DELETED FOLDERS on both the iPad and iPhone though I couldn't do same on iCloud photos on iCloud website?

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

So right now, none of your devices have duplicates, correct? Try uploading to one device first and post back if it does show duplicates. You can press Delete All in the lower left corner on your recently deleted photos.

11. Alkali

Alkali Member
    Bronze

Thanks very much dear Europa, you are indeed the best of the lot.

12. Alkali

Alkali Member
    Bronze

Now a new problem is appearing. The iCloud Photo Library is working wonderfully but for two days it's not syncing when I added new pictures on both the iPhone and iPad.