iCloud/reassigning owner questions

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by susanna, Jul 10, 2014.

1. susanna

susanna New Member

my ex husband left his old iPhone 5s at my house after the divorce & move; he has since deactivated & replaced it. I have restored it back to factory settings and was wondering how I could change the Apple id to my own. Due to court order he is not allowed to get in contact with me, so I cannot ask him for the email or password to his icould (I think that's what i need?) Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

You will not be able to use this iPhone without your ex-husband's login credentials.

3. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Chris is right on the money. What you have is basically a very expensive paperweight without your X's login info.

Sent from my iPhone 5

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Did you request the court order? If so, you could ask the judge to rescind that order. Then you could ask your ex about the log in credentials. Be nice and maybe he will. Offer him something in return. $ usually works. If the court order was at his bequest, then you're out of luck. You'd have to go through a 3rd person.

5. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

Depending on what country you're in. In the USA it will also depend on the wording. Usually protection orders or no contact orders are very vague while sometimes depending on the offender they can be very specific. If yours is a generic no contact order against him then he can't initiate any communication with you but there is nothing that says you can't initiate an email to him and ask him and he can reply without voilating the order. Just be sure you stick to specifics about the phone and don't let your emotions add a little spice to the wording in your request or you could be charged with harassing him.