iCloud - Unable to create account

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by hammerpgh, Jun 23, 2013.

1. hammerpgh

hammerpgh New Member

I have got an iPhone 4 on loan from my daughter to try out before deciding on the phone I want when my upgrade is due. I wanted to check out iCloud while I have it but get a message that the maximum free accounts allowable on the phone have been created. Is there anyway around this or am I stuck without being able to have iCloud while I have this phone. Cheers.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

How many devices do you have logged into this account? I think it's a good idea for each person to have their own iCloud account. You can still share the same iTunes account and share apps and music. You'll all log into the same iTunes account, but then you'll all have separate iCloud accounts for iCloud syncing (contacts, bookmarks, notes, etc.) and backups. The only downside to this is you're logged into two accounts on each phone, but it's no big deal and I've been doing it this way for years (back since iCloud used to be Mobile Me). Also, one person can use the same iTunes account for their iCloud syncing if you want.

Apple accounts for music and apps, iCloud syncing and iCloud backups can be three separate things. You can use iCloud for syncing bookmarks, notes, contacts, etc. and then use iTunes for your backups if you have reached 5 GB. An alternative if you want to use iCloud for backups is to not backup multiple devices to one account. If you are trying to backup more than one iPhone, iPod or iPad to your iCloud account and close to 5 GB, you can start backing one of them up on the computer. They can all still have the benefit of iCloud syncing with the same account. For example, I have a 4S, a 5 and an iPad mini. All three are logged into iCloud and the data is synced wirelessly between all three. But as far as backups go, only the iPad and one of the iPhones backs up to iCloud. The other iPhone backs up in iTunes on my computer.

3. hammerpgh

hammerpgh New Member

I have no devices logged into the account. I only setup my Apple iD a few days ago on this phone but as soon as I try to create an iCloud account it goes off to verifying iD and immediately tells me that the maximum number of free accounts have been setup on this iPhone with no further options.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's odd. I've never heard of that happening. I'd contact Apple if you want to stick with that account.

5. hammerpgh

hammerpgh New Member

Apparently it's something Apple do, restrict each device to be able to create only three accounts. Not a good start to my Apple experience :/

6. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

7. hammerpgh

hammerpgh New Member

The phone was already reset before I got it. The problem is with Apple who store the device iD and how many accounts have been created on it so a phone reset doesn't help.

Apparently the only solution is to create the account on another iOS device. Unfortunately this iPhone is my only Apple device so that's not an option for me. A real pain and a stupid decision by Apple.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can't set up an iCloud account on a computer?

9. hammerpgh

hammerpgh New Member

Apparently not it says I have to do it via an iOS device of which the iPhone is my only one :s

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I would give Apple a call and explain the situation. I bet they'll help you out.