iCrossword - Native Crosswords App for iPhone

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
iCrossword is a new native crossword puzzles app for the iPhone. Only comes with one puzzle included, but takes .puz format files which seem to be pretty easy to find for free to add more, from newspaper sites etc.

It's on Installer now, created by same folks who did the iSlots game ...

iCreep

Bronze
Nov 14, 2007
That sound pretty interesting and I would love to check it out if my installer wasn't on the fritz...

iCreep.

KyDuckman

Bronze
Nov 29, 2007
I couldn't find it on installer. I got slots off there but not seeing crosswords. What is the source?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I couldn't find it on installer. I got slots off there but not seeing crosswords. What is the source?
I don't think I had to add a source for this one. Installer lists it as being from Ste Packaging, which is within the standard Community Sources I think ...

KyDuckman

Bronze
Nov 29, 2007
ok just went back in, and downloaded the new community sources 3.2, and I also have Ste Packaging as a source and still don't see iCrosswords. I looked under recent and all packages. Guess I am missing a source somewhere.

KyDuckman

Bronze
Nov 29, 2007
I will try that, THANKS!

EDIT: THAT GOT IT....THANKS!

divabimbers

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Arizona
I know that you can find the .puz files at newspapers sites like NYT for example but when I've gone there, I've had no luck in finding the .puz files. I even looked at the ending of the URLs to see if they indicated .puz but instead, they're HTML. Any help on this would be appreciated because I'm clearly not seeing these files! Also, are they free as well?

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
iCrossword is a new native crossword puzzles app for the iPhone. Only comes with one puzzle included, but takes .puz format files which seem to be pretty easy to find for free to add more, from newspaper sites etc.

It's on Installer now, created by same folks who did the iSlots game ...
tried it, there are no clues, just a crossword page so I dunno what to do.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I know that you can find the .puz files at newspapers sites like NYT for example but when I've gone there, I've had no luck in finding the .puz files. I even looked at the ending of the URLs to see if they indicated .puz but instead, they're HTML. Any help on this would be appreciated because I'm clearly not seeing these files! Also, are they free as well?
I had some trouble finding at first as well - I don't know about the NTY ones, but here's some I found that worked and were free:
http://www.fleetingimage.com/wij/xyzzy/nyt-links.html
http://www.fleetingimage.com/wij/xyzzy/08-bg.html

C

Christiene

iCrossword is Cool

Tried it...seems cool. But I don't like crosswords that much.

dondada

Aug 2, 2007
How do you install .puz formatted files on the iPhone for the iCrossword app? Any help will be much appreciated... Thanks in advance...

dondada

Aug 2, 2007
Dev's site gives the path to place them in so that the app will see them:
/var/mobile/Library/iCrossword/puz
Thanks for your reply...I already searched and had found out the path for files. But I guess my real question is how do I put it in that path? I mean is there some windows application that let's me browse the iPhone directory structure? Or is there some online site where i can download the file directly to the iPhone? Thanks for your help...

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Thanks for your reply...I already searched and had found out the path for files. But I guess my real question is how do I put it in that path? I mean is there some windows application that let's me browse the iPhone directory structure? Or is there some online site where i can download the file directly to the iPhone? Thanks for your help...
WinSCP is an app that lets you connect to the iPhone, browse its directory structure, and transfer files back and forth - to use this you'll nee to :
  • Install WinSCP on your PC - it's a free app
  • Install BSD Subsystem on the iPhone - it is under the System category in Installer
  • Install OpenSSH on the iPhone - also under the System category
  • Install Services app on the iPhone - under the Utilities category
  • Once those are all in place, launch the Services app to toggle OpenSSH On and Off - best to leave it off except when you need to connect to the iPhone to do file transfers etc.
  • For now, toggle SSH to On
  • Make a note of your iPhone's IP address
  • Launch WinSCP on your PC
  • In the Host Name field enter your iPhone's IP address
  • In the Username field, enter root
  • In the password field, enter alpine
  • Use the drop-down in the File Protocol field to choose SCP
  • Then hit Login
  • First time, it may take quite a bit - 30-45 seconds or thereabouts - then you'll see a message relating to key creation - just say Yes to that
Then you should see an Explorer-like view that shows you the folders / files on the iPhone in the right-hand pane - and can move files back and forth to the iPhone as required ...

dondada

Aug 2, 2007
hey thanks for that post...that worked like a charm....problem solved...