iDrive vs Dropbox

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by Kenny65, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Kenny65

Kenny65 New Member

Question, looking for opinions and feedback...what is the best photo (doc) back up for iPhone? I've used iDrive for years but it's quirky (always has been but especially lately). I heard that Dropbox is the best but I'm not sure. I also heard Dropbox DOES NOT delete your pics from the Cloud if you select to "clean up" your photo album on your iPhone. Any advice is appreciated.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm pretty sure you are referring to Google Drive. I've used both.
    I switched to Google Drive for a while, but went back to DropBox after less than a year. It was mainly due to a couple of limitations in the iOS Google Drive app. That was over a year ago and they may have a better app now. It's good to have both to increase your amount of free cloud storage space.

3. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

And, both Box and OneDrive work well for me also.

#3 Lon, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I use Box, Dropbox and OneDrive. OneDrive just upped it to 30 free gb. I'm not sure about file size. It looks like they upped that to 10 gb. Cool!

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

5. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

As much as I like Dropbox, I stopped using them when I understood that they read your stuff. Albeit, I now believe that all online companies read your data.

Anyway, I went with OneDrive...

Sent from my iPad using iCafe Forums
    Instagram: naviwilliamsinc
    Twitter: naviwilliams

#5 ivantwilliams, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2015
  6. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

If you don't want someone looking at your data try using spideroak
    here's how it works
    https://spideroak.com/engineering_matters
    also how to use the hive

#6 rom x, Oct 31, 2014
  7. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

If you don't want anyone reading your stuff, use one of the Cloud external hard drives on the market and keep it so only you have access to it ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Who says Dropbox reads your stuff? Any app you give permission to access your photos may be capable of that. But I doubt seriously they're peeking at my pics. I currently have over 60 apps that I have given photos access. Not worried.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

#8 Ledsteplin, Nov 4, 2014
  9. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

Okay...

Sent from my iPad using iCafe Forums
    Instagram: naviwilliamsinc
    Twitter: naviwilliams

#9 ivantwilliams, Nov 4, 2014
  10. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

But, Dropbox is the stingiest in terms of space!

#10 Lon, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014
  11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

In terms of free space. But they offer unlimited file size. Box limits to 250 mb per file size with the free storage. That's fine for photos, but some videos will go over that. When trying to manage free storage using the major cloud based services, file size becomes important for those long videos/home movies. Here's who offers what for free. Note: OneDrive now offers 30 gb of free storage.
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1415193021.630750.jpg

12. Drchimrichalds

Drchimrichalds New Member

I've never had any problems with Dropbox. It's very quick and convenient when you have the app installed. I've never used iDrive though.

13. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I've got Dropbox and Box. Box has 50GB storage cause I was an early adopter. I think I can invite others and they get 50 GB too.

14. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Dropbox is small in terms of free space, but you can easily up it by using referral links. I have five emails addresses which I actively use for work and personal stuff, I created multiple Dropbox accounts by sending the referral link from my main account. This took about fifteen mins and I already had a few extra GB's by doing minimul amounts of work. At the time I remember liking/sharing Dropbox on Facebook and Twitter and that gave me an extra 500mb. After I did this I think I might have referred a few people off eiC, Twitter and even Facebook. I've got a 22.5GB account for free - took a few weeks to get there but free cloud space is always a winner :)

I was also an early adopter of box. I like box, but having restrictions on file sizes can be annoying. Thinking about it though, having to upload files in 250mb chunks isn't the end of the world it's just inconvenient.

Google Drive is my second preferred cloud storage. It's particularly good at holding masses of documents which you can easily integrate with apps for editing and sharing. Makes paperwork on the move really handy, you can probably do this just as easily with Dropbox but Google Drive just seems nicer.

I've also got OneDrive and don't use it at all. Any one know of any pro's of using OneDrive?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I really need to do that with DropBox. It's my primary cloud storage location and I only have 3 GB. I was hoping Apple's iCloud Drive would have an app and be comparable to DropBox, but you can't upload photos to it from the iPhone so it's kinda useless for my needs. I set up a shared iCloud photostream that I made private and I use it sometimes to get photos back and forth, but it just seems like a weird way of doing it so I usually stick with DropBox.

16. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Yeah I've been a little disappointed in Apple's new iCloud Drive. I was hoping it would be similar to the likes of Dropbox and Google Drive. I think in time they'll allow more control over what actually gets stored in the cloud because right now it's quite limited. I do use the iCloud Drive in conjunction with Apple's Numbers app for iOS on both my iPad and iPhone. I store a few large spreadsheets with stupid amounts of data and addresses etc which are searchable through the app.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Agreed. It would work great for file sharing between two Macs, but it's very limited when using it with an iPhone.

18. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

Yep same here had openbox in early 2007 then got box around 2009. 50GB for free is always a good thing

19. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I have 50 free gb with Box. But file size is limited to 250 mb. That works for photos, gifs, PNG images and short videos. I have 30 free gb with OneDrive. I think max file size is now 10 gb. That covers most of my videos. I have 2 free gb with Dropbox. Unlimited file size. I need to add to my Dropbox as well.

20. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Dropbox just updated with the options to rename files and move files and folders. Those are options I use a good bit, and have done so in Box. It's good to see these additions in Dropbox.