If anyone is having issues with 1.1.1, try removing Summerboard

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

DeathBySnuggles

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Tampa, Fl
I'm just sharing my findings with the forum, YMMV.

I upgraded to 1.1.1 earlier in the week, jailbroke it, and reinstalled apps. My phone was working like a piece of garbage. Here were my symptoms:

1 - Slow and unresponsive when tapping icons.
2 - Programs would hang while opening, then return to home screen.
3 - After the 3rd program hang, the phone would do a soft reset.
4 - When making a call, the phone would go to the home screen with the "tap here to return to call" bar up top. Clicking it turned the screen off.
5 - Poor signal updating. What I mean is, at my desk I don't get good signal. If I move over to the window it's fine. I was finding that if a call was initiated in a bad signal spot and I then moved, it would take a few minutes for the actual signal to improve. Sometimes I would lose the call before that happened.

Something I noticed after the program hangs and phone would soft reset was the "theme" went back to the iPhone default, then a moment later returned to the summerboard setting. I tried uninstalling summerboard yesterday morning because frankly my phone was becoming unusable and i had to do something. I am happy to report my phone has been absolutely perfect since removing summerboard.

I think the program needs some tweaks to be more stable in 1.1.1. I do enjoy the program, mostly for the last line hiding feature. But at this point it's not worth the headache. For those who aren't aware, multiple springboard pages is a native function of 1.1.1, not summerboard. So if you remove it, you will still be able to slide over to your second page of icons to launch your programs.

Hope this helps someone.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I haven't experienced these sort of problems since the first version, since then its worked perfectly for me and the many others i know that are using it on 1.1.1.

You may want to try restoring and jailbreaking again. My phone didn't take the first JB very well. I did and my phone works even better now. Same conclusion for a friend that was also having difficulties with native app stability.

DeathBySnuggles

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Tampa, Fl
I haven't experienced these sort of problems since the first version, since then its worked perfectly for me and the many others i know that are using it on 1.1.1.

You may want to try restoring and jailbreaking again. My phone didn't take the first JB very well. I did and my phone works even better now. Same conclusion for a friend that was also having difficulties with native app stability.
Like I said at the beginning, YMMV (your mileage may vary). Right now my phone is working perfectly and all other apps work great. I'll give it a few more days then i'll try reinstalling summerboard. Perhaps the install of that software wasn't sound. If it still gives me a problem, maybe I'll try restoring. I think if a future release of it is still screwy for me, then i'd be more likely to try restoring. I have my icons changed manually, wallpaper doesn't excite me that much. So the only thing i'm really missing is the last row hide function.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Thank you so much. Long story short, I was having the same symptoms you have had. I was planning on restoring to factory default with in minutes of reading your post. I'm uninstalling summerboard now.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Like I said at the beginning, YMMV (your mileage may vary). Right now my phone is working perfectly and all other apps work great. I'll give it a few more days then i'll try reinstalling summerboard. Perhaps the install of that software wasn't sound. If it still gives me a problem, maybe I'll try restoring. I think if a future release of it is still screwy for me, then i'd be more likely to try restoring. I have my icons changed manually, wallpaper doesn't excite me that much. So the only thing i'm really missing is the last row hide function.
Try this, its a simple experiment which has actually worked for a friend and I.

Install SwapTunes and once installed, swap out your library for the blank one it makes. Now, without resetting your phone press the iPod button and view your library. If its not blank, then theres something up with your phone for sure.

I used the now deprecated jailbreak method first, and it required me to restart my iPhone to see my swapped out media libraries. Soon after, my phone self-healed itself back into jail, i kid you not.

This was followed by the TouchFree4.exe jailbreak, which for the passed few weeks has given me a better iPhone than I had with 1.0.2. I don't need to restart for Swaptunes anymore, and I don't ever have any SSH issues which would also require a restart to sort out.