If Hillary gets elected, does the iPhone work in Canada?

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The problem with those proportions is that you really need to look at taxes as a percentage of a living wage. What portion of subsistence income does any given tax bracket pay?

If you work at Micky D's the small dollar amount you pay in taxes has a much higher impact on your overall ability to make ends meet at the end of the month. Therefore, it reduces your ability to ever get ahead in life.

If you make $1M+ a year the 50% of that the government sucks away has no impact on your subsistence income. And currently, with the low long term capital gains tax, the rate that most wealthy Americans is taxed only amounts to 15%.
Well said!

Kyled8888@gmail.com

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
but if you must generalize, this is it:

Democrat = you are a victim and cannot take care of yourself, thereforee we will take your money and take care of you

Republican = less gov't is good - you are responsible for taking care of yourself, so buck up

Granted, this is an oversimplification ...
Amen! My point exactly! ;)
Go republicans! (and I'm gay and still republican *gasp*)

Kyled8888@gmail.com

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
I think this thread needs to be locked. Too many people are too passionate about politics. I know my blood boils when anyone speaks against Republicans ;)

bpepperman

Jun 10, 2007
Nope. I survived the Bush fiasco, so I'm staying.

I will gladly welcome another Clinton into the White House to fix the mess that a Bush created.

Personally, I'd rather have Edwards or Obama, but Hillary could do the job well.
I agree with you, though Obama is stronger, with Hilary you also get Bill back in the White House, which i feel is a plus. Regardless, Hilary and Obama complement eachother. Just as long as a RIGHT WING EVANGELICAL FREAK is not elected I will be content, and as for the individual who claimed I mispelled, you are wrong. I missed an apostrophe, just shoot me!

att_employee

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I agree with you, though Obama is stronger, with Hilary you also get Bill back in the White House, which i feel is a plus. Regardless, Hilary and Obama complement eachother. Just as long as a RIGHT WING EVANGELICAL FREAK is not elected I will be content, and as for the individual who claimed I mispelled, you are wrong. I missed an apostrophe, just shoot me!
Maybe he oughtta change his name to iBama, and go for the Apple fanboy vote ;)

Ocala

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Ocala, FL
I have a couple innocent questions:

Can someone explain to me the difference between “Less Fortunate” and “Lacking in Enthusiasm”?
How many of the liberal Hollywood elite kept their promise to leave the country if Bush was elected? (Please don’t whine to me that he wasn’t fairly elected, a deal’s a deal!)

Now that you’re warmed up…what’s the difference between Hillary and a ….:mad:?

kewl!o

Bronze
May 28, 2007
Apex, NC
thethirdrail.wordpress.com
helping hand

BTW, whatever happened to, "It's better to give than to receive?" Why is greed worshipped today over lending a helping hand?
you have missed the point entirely - no one is saying they won't help, just that the terribly inefficient gov't shouldn't take my $$ and decide what to do w/it

Americans are the most generous people on earth ... lose the talking points and engage your brain

mattcincy

Jun 27, 2007
I agree that this thread should probably be closed but since I'm here...
The top 5% do pay the majority of the taxes. And the argument that the guy working at McDonalds gets hit harder because he makes so little is also true. The difference is the guy working at McDonalds has the OPPORTUNITY to move up and make more money and, eventually pay more taxes. In a perfect world without humans everyone would do their jobs and make the same amount of money. Sounds kinda like communism to me and if memory serves, that doesn't work either.
As far as the president goes, Bush has made a bunch of mistakes... The same as all the presidents before him. His mistakes are magnified a little bit with the current state of the world but all in all I'm thankful not to have a liberal right now. The fact of the matter is ALL POLITICIANS ARE LIEING THIEVING CHEATS. And until we start holding them to account they will continue to be that way...

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
you have missed the point entirely - no one is saying they won't help, just that the terribly inefficient gov't shouldn't take my $$ and decide what to do w/it

Americans are the most generous people on earth ... lose the talking points and engage your brain
Yes. Americans are generous. But when you whine about having to help someone else by paying taxes, it sounds very selfish.

And, if you want talking points, just look at your 45th post (Straight out of Neal Boortz's mouth):

"You obviously don't know what you're talking about (taxes). You should educate yourself before speaking out.

Fact: top 5% of Americans pay over 50% of all taxes
Fact: top 10% pay over 65% of all taxes
Fact: bottom 50% pay less than 3% of all taxes

So, when you decry that tax cuts go "to the rich" - can you possibly understand why this would be?! The "poor" don't pay any taxes. Let me say this again, as it bears repeating:

The poor do not pay any taxes. The rich pay most of the taxes. And this is after the tax cuts!"

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
Yes. Americans are generous. But when you whine about having to help someone else by paying taxes, it sounds very selfish.

And, if you want talking points, just look at your 45th post (Straight out of Neal Boortz's mouth):

"You obviously don't know what you're talking about (taxes). You should educate yourself before speaking out.

So, when you decry that tax cuts go "to the rich" - can you possibly understand why this would be?! The "poor" don't pay any taxes. Let me say this again, as it bears repeating:

The poor do not pay any taxes. The rich pay most of the taxes. And this is after the tax cuts!"
But if you listen to Warren Buffet, the second richest man in the world, the rich don't NEED tax cuts. The poor do pay taxes, even if it's not the lion's share. As a nation we should be doing everything we can to help as many people live the American dream.

Really. Believe me. I've been on both sides of the equation. My six digit tax bills have hurt far less than the Fed tax taken out of my paychecks when I was younger.

LTownBrodown

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Landrum, South Carolina
I don't want hardly any of the democrates running to win. They were all for the war before it became "unpopluar" (besides obama) So most of them are lying about that. If most of them win, pulling out of iraq will lead to something worse than it had before, iran is eyeballing that thing. So what am i learning? a lot of Democrate canidates seem very greedy, "lets stay here, lets stay out of other countries and keep freedom only for us."

About iraq, most people think that we never should of gone in and that we should of attacked korea or what ever, but iraq was supporting the group that just killed so many great americans.

I may not really move to canada if she wins im just prepaired for our country to start failing worse than it already is.

Our country is gonna fall just like Rome if it continues to go on like it is, i mean if we allow illegals to stay instead of making them go through the right process, then whats next? allowing robberies because the person needed a better life?

kewl!o

Bronze
May 28, 2007
Apex, NC
again, missing the point !

The problem with those proportions is that you really need to look at taxes as a percentage of a living wage. What portion of subsistence income does any given tax bracket pay?

If you work at Micky D's the small dollar amount you pay in taxes has a much higher impact on your overall ability to make ends meet at the end of the month. Therefore, it reduces your ability to ever get ahead in life.

If you make $1M+ a year the 50% of that the government sucks away has no impact on your subsistence income. And currently, with the low long term capital gains tax, the rate that most wealthy Americans is taxed only amounts to 15%.
If you work @ McD, you probably are paying very, very little tax (if any). So, the proportion of their wages going to taxes is close to 0%.

And when did the Am. dream move away from being able to "make it"?! when did that become unacceptable?!

I hope with your attitude that you give very heavily to charities (well, besides the tax "charity").

kewl!o

Bronze
May 28, 2007
Apex, NC
foolish, foolish

I am not quoting anyone, but I have no problem being associated w/Mr Boortz (esp. re: FairTax).

And I'm not whining, fool. I am not the top % anyway...and I'm not so envious that I want class warfare to take their $$ away.

Not wanting to pay unfair taxes is not selfish - it's fair, clear-minded, reasonable, and just. Get used to it!