If i add a second iPhone will my bill go up?

chris82

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
I have a 1st gen iPhone that i bought of ebay awhile back i have the unlimited data plan with it (its not unlocked) if remember right i had to activate it before att could give me the data plan, i previously had it unlocked.

If i buy a iPhone 3GS from ATT and give the 1st gen iPhone to my wife and she would put a sim card from another phone that she was using in it.....would my bill go up? I think ATT forces you to have a data plan with the iPhone? My wife does not need or want it.

Would the 1st gen iPhone have to be activated again since it has a differant sim card in it?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
There's not really any way out of the data plan if you have an iPhone running 3.0 and using AT&T as a carrier, so yes your bill would go up. The iPhone family plan with two phones starts at $129 IIRC.

One way to avoid paying data charges while still being able to use an iPhone, would be to unlock it and use it on T-Mobile and just disable data or go with prepaid T-Mobile SIM card (no data is included on the prepaid cards).

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Your wife should be able to just pop her sim in the 1st gen phone and use it with no problems. It should not require reactivation. Once her line shows she is using your old phone she will get messages about them noticing she is using an phone needs to add the date plan for her line. They may just add it to your bill if you take no action.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Your wife should be able to just pop her sim in the 1st gen phone and use it with no problems. It should not require reactivation. Once her line shows she is using your old phone she will get messages about them noticing she is using an phone needs to add the date plan for her line. They may just add it to your bill if you take no action.
I don't mean to say that you are wrong but here is what's going to happen. The wife's iPhone will get a message telling her she needs a data plan as a reminder from AT&T. You will then (if no data plan is added) start being charged by the KB. The rate per KB is very expensive without the data plan. Your bill at the end of the month will shock you (most likely upwards of a thousand dollars) as the iPhone constantly accesses data. There is no way around the data plan if you are going to use the phone on AT&T. The iPhone is basically useless anyway without data. Better to pay 20.00 for the data plan now than thousands of dollars at the end of the month. AT&T will not wavier on the charges either because they warned you with the initial text message. Mark

Jul 14, 2008
Noone has ever been charged extra for using a 3G iPhone on a 2G data paln

I bought my 3G S phone on launch day which retained my $30 data plan I had with the original 3G. Last week, I also bought a 2G iPhone. I activated the 2G via iTunes and it let me activate the 2G using my 3G S phone number. This week, my new month started and I checked my data plan online. By activating the 2G phone using my 3G S phone number, it replaced my $30 3G S data plan plus the $5 for 200 SMS with the $20 data plan INCLUDING 200 SMS.

My contract didn't start over and I didn't lose my RO minutes and my upgrade date still says 11/10 as it did when I bought my 3G S in June.

I've been using my 3G S on the 2G data plan now for a week and have not had any such warning SMS.

A friend was also using a 2G data plan with a 3G phone for 6 months and never got a warning and never got chraged extra.

Last edited by a moderator:

chris82

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
She really wants a iPhone to but like i said she would never use the data plan she would use its wifi and plus i don't want that high of a bill. :)

I have the $20 data plan for my 1st gen iPhone were i live we can't get 2G or 3G service.

So if i bought a new iPhone directly through ATT and gave the wife my old one and she put in her old sim card wouldn't the phone work as normal? or would it have to be unlocked?

I used it unlocked for a few months and never got signed up for the data plan automatically. I think the only reason i put the original firmware on it was to get the data plan. They would not let me have it when it was unlocked for some reason.

thanks

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You only have GPRS? If she is on AT&T, any AT&T SIM (except a prepaid sim) will work on the locked V1 phone, you don't need to unlock it.

chris82

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
You only have GPRS? If she is on AT&T, any AT&T SIM (except a prepaid sim) will work on the locked V1 phone, you don't need to unlock it.
Yes we are on the family plan (2 phones) and sadly yes we can't get 2G or 3G :(

Our bill is $93 a month for 2 phones mines the only one that has the data plan for $20 a month basically we both want to have iPhones and continue to pay $93 a month.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Yes we are on the family plan (2 phones) and sadly yes we can't get 2G or 3G :(

Our bill is $93 a month for 2 phones mines the only one that has the data plan for $20 a month basically we both want to have iPhones and continue to pay $93 a month.
@Chris82
Call AT&T and they can tell you exactly what you will be paying. Don't listen to others when it's concerning YOUR bill. You seem like you are very concerned about a high bill. No one is going to pay your bill if they are wrong so it's best to just get the info from AT&T. Mark

terrywills

Jun 21, 2009
California
Why don't you unlock it? That way you can be happy as well as your wife. I don't think you need to go to any complication.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
@Chris82
Call AT&T and they can tell you exactly what you will be paying. Don't listen to others when it's concerning YOUR bill. You seem like you are very concerned about a high bill. No one is going to pay your bill if they are wrong so it's best to just get the info from AT&T. Mark
Truer words have never been spoken! The best thing you'll get from anyone on this forum if you take our advice and you end up having to pay is, "Oh man, sorry. That sucks". ;)

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
She really wants a iPhone to but like i said she would never use the data plan she would use its wifi and plus i don't want that high of a bill. :)

I have the $20 data plan for my 1st gen iPhone were i live we can't get 2G or 3G service.

So if i bought a new iPhone directly through ATT and gave the wife my old one and she put in her old sim card wouldn't the phone work as normal? or would it have to be unlocked?

I used it unlocked for a few months and never got signed up for the data plan automatically. I think the only reason i put the original firmware on it was to get the data plan. They would not let me have it when it was unlocked for some reason.

thanks
Ok I'm not sure about this, but I think this will work.

1. Buy the phone.
2. Unlock it (even though you'll be using it with AT&T)
3. Stick in her SIM.
4. DISABLE data in the Settings so there is no way to get charged extra. Wifi will still work.
5. Watch your bill after the first month to see if they tack on the $30 or not.

From what I understand, if you unlock it AT&T won't be able to tell it's an iPhone, it will just show up as a generic phone on their system. Since they can't tell it's a smart phone they won't require you to have a data plan. Then if your wife disables the data in the settings she can just use Wifi with no fear of KB overages.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You can't disable data in the settings. Only Data roaming and that's for data usage abroad. You will have to have AT&T disable data, and if they can tell it's an iPhone (which I think they will be able to), they will not disable it.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Well there's gotta be a jailbreak app that will disable all data besides Wifi on the phone...