If I buy original iPhone..

blamat45

Jun 19, 2008
If i buy an original iPhone from someone online like next week, will I be able to get the iPhone 3G free when it comes out? and just turn in my old one?

loc_star

Jun 17, 2008
Florida
Why Not? If you buy a iPhone now from someone and activate it you would be considered as a current iPhone user. You would qualify for the $199/$299 upgrade.

blamat45

Jun 19, 2008
If I get a used iPhone this week and activate will I be able to get the iPhone 3G without paying $199 or $299?

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
Why in the world would it be free?

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
If I get a used iPhone this week and activate will I be able to get the iPhone 3G without paying $199 or $299?
NO. nowhere is it stated that the iPhone is free to anyone. $199/$299 pricing is for either 1. New AT&T customers, 2. Current iPhone customers "in good standing", and 3. AT&T non iPhone customers whose contracts are eligible for upgrades.

People who do not meet the above criteria will be paying a much higher price. Speculation has it around $500/$600 like the initial iPhone release. But that's all speculation on where the price is actually gonna be.

The details are kind of sketchy on what Current iPhone customers "in good standing" means. It may mean you had to have had the iPhone for a certain amount of time, or your account can't be in arrears, or you have to have a credit check to establish contract service as many iPhone customers are current "pay as you go" customers.

That said, you *Should* be able to get the v1 iPhone and get an iPhone plan on AT&T and get the $199/$299 pricing. But I said *should*, and I don't know with 100% certainty seeing how you will just now be getting an iPhone plan and as of July 11 will have had no payments made on that plan.

Are you a current AT&T customer now? If not, wait till July 11 then buy the 3g iPhone.

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Why in the world would it be free?
I believe the confused OP is referring to those who bought the iPhone and activated AFTER May 27, 3008. Those people will be able to return their iPhone (even after the 30 day period) and swap for the new 3G, and the $30 plan upgrade. In addition, they will be refunded the difference. However, in his case, he is buying it 2nd hand, so he most likely will not be able to swap.

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
I believe the confused OP is referring to those who bought the iPhone and activated AFTER May 27, 3008. Those people will be able to return their iPhone (even after the 30 day period) and swap for the new 3G, and the $30 plan upgrade. In addition, they will be refunded the difference. However, in his case, he is buying it 2nd hand, so he most likely will not be able to swap.
let me respond to this because lets be smart because there just trying to scam us here aswell
they want us to trade it in for the new iPhone.. which cost so much cheaper.

you better just returned it because your paying 399+tax for your v1 iPhone and let them keep there restocking fee because no matter what your gonna pay 199/299 for the new iPhone anyways

ja_vo

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Atlanta, GA
NO. nowhere is it stated that the iPhone is free to anyone. $199/$299 pricing is for either 1. New AT&T customers, 2. Current iPhone customers "in good standing", and 3. AT&T non iPhone customers whose contracts are eligible for upgrades.

People who do not meet the above criteria will be paying a much higher price. Speculation has it around $500/$600 like the initial iPhone release. But that's all speculation on where the price is actually gonna be.

The details are kind of sketchy on what Current iPhone customers "in good standing" means. It may mean you had to have had the iPhone for a certain amount of time, or your account can't be in arrears, or you have to have a credit check to establish contract service as many iPhone customers are current "pay as you go" customers.

That said, you *Should* be able to get the v1 iPhone and get an iPhone plan on AT&T and get the $199/$299 pricing. But I said *should*, and I don't know with 100% certainty seeing how you will just now be getting an iPhone plan and as of July 11 will have had no payments made on that plan.

Are you a current AT&T customer now? If not, wait till July 11 then buy the 3g iPhone.
Even than i still don't think he could, because from what I read you have to have to have the V1 iPhone since before 5/27/5008. Anyone correct me if i am wrong.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Even than i still don't think he could, because from what I read you have to have to have the V1 iPhone since before 5/27/5008. Anyone correct me if i am wrong.
from what i've read that's incorrect. Anybody who has bought a new v1 iPHone from an AT&T or Apple retail store after that date can return their v1 for a v2 and be credited the difference on the purchase. As far as I understand that is the significance of that date.

ja_vo

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Atlanta, GA
from what i've read that's incorrect. Anybody who has bought a new v1 iPHone from an AT&T or Apple retail store after that date can return their v1 for a v2 and be credited the difference on the purchase. As far as I understand that is the significance of that date.
Aight well thats what i ment to say. :sick: