If I delete email message on computer, why can't I see it on iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

kirk444

Nov 21, 2007
I noticed that if I read and delete a message on my computer before I read it on my iPhone the email doesn't appear on my phone. Is this way it should be or are my settings wrong? Also could someone tell me if I delete an email on my computer is it really gone or does it stay on my hard drive? Thanks

kirk444

Nov 21, 2007
Need more info...
How do you read your e-mails? (Webmail or a mail client)
Chances are they are in a deleted items folder.

thanks, do you know if I delete an email from my computer is it really gone forever or is it still on my hard drive?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Sounds like you are using Outlook or Outlook express. If you delete from a folder or inbox, then the email remains in the trash folder by default - unless you changed settings to dump deleted mail after a certain period.

kirk444

Nov 21, 2007
Sounds like you are using Outlook or Outlook express. If you delete from a folder or inbox, then the email remains in the trash folder by default - unless you changed settings to dump deleted mail after a certain period.
I'm just using Comcast and if I delete an email and also from trash is it still somewhere on my computer?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Comcast might be your domain mail carrier, but what program are you using? the web interface? Or are you using a program that is on your PC like outlook express?
Actually, in either case, if you are deleting it and then deleting it from the trash folder, it's gone.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
The issue we're talking about here is whether or not your PC is removing the message from your mailserver after downloading it. Isn't it?

You will find advanced settings on your (pc's) mail client to choose what deleting behaviour you want. If you tell me what your mail client is - and whether you collect by POP3 or IMAP - I can tell you exactly how to do it.

kirk444

Nov 21, 2007
i may have sent this message already...if I did sorry. I'm a novice at this so I use Comcast an I believe POP3....am I close?

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
i may have sent this message already...if I did sorry. I'm a novice at this so I use Comcast an I believe POP3....am I close?
Yep - look at the 'server settings' tab or section of your email client on your PC.

You're most likely using Outlook, but outlook express, and thunderbird all have the same (ish) settings. You're looking for "Leave messages on the server" or something like that.

You can usually choose to leave all messages on the server, or to only remove messages after a certain period, or when moved from your inbox. - Find this setting and you're there.

What email client are you using?