If I get my phone next year...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Carey

Nov 20, 2007
Will I be able to mod it still? is Apple worried about hackers and making new firmwares to block mods like sony's psp? Because i want to be able to mod the icons and whatever else I can.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
You never know.

Right now, it's kind of back and forth. Apple releases new firmware that blocks all versions of jailbreak, then the Dev Team cracks. Repeat.

A year's a long time, though. By then, people may have lost interest in hacking the iPhone. Or maybe Apple put out some kind of super firmware. You never know.

Carey

Nov 20, 2007
true, I wasn't sure if Apple cared. but the firmware should always be hackable. back when i was into hacking psp's and stuff, everyone thought that 2.6 was unhackable. but then we found out how and now people can downgrade even newer firmware. thanks though. hopefully when i get mine in may i can either get one that is already hacked and i know i can do new stuff to it, or the newer firmware will be hacked by then

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I think the community has been established. It will always be a "throw down the gauntlet" sort of thing to the hackers of the world, and they'll probably always step up. So I predict hacked iPhones for as long as the product exists, even if third-party apps mitigate the popularity of doing it.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
True as well.

I'll never hack again once it comes out.
I think that will depend upon how much Apple charges for the software they will release through iTunes and also how selective they are on what they allow to be sold. I love the software that is available now and will gladly pay for most of it but the small utilities and fun programs may no longer be available without hacking. Time will tell.

faseone

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I ran out and bought a phone 2 days before the release of 1.1.2 firmware cause I thought it would be months before they found a jailbreak. They jailbroke within hours. I think you'll be fine. As long as code is writeable by man there will be men to hack it.