If I go buy an iPhone right now

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

dms2425

Sep 14, 2007
Thinking about picking up a new iPhone, but I would like to jailbreak it. If I get a new one from the Apple Store, will it have the 1.1.1 firmware or 1.0.2?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
It could go either way right now, though I would imagine for the moment you can still get 1.0.2--but I don't know how to tell without opening up the box. Anyone know how to tell?

--
Mike

socalkevin21

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
It could go either way right now, though I would imagine for the moment you can still get 1.0.2--but I don't know how to tell without opening up the box. Anyone know how to tell?

--
Mike
Serial # .... the 4th and 5th numbers will be 39 and above for 1.1.1

38 and below for 1.0.2

vicknik

Sep 26, 2007
will it have the 1.1.1 firmware or 1.0.2 ?
It usually takes a while for the iPhones to leave the factory and end up on the store shelves. Being that 1.1.1 was just released on the site a few days ago, its hard to believe it was out of QA and ready anytime before that.

That said, I would have to say most stores still do not have 1.1.1 on the phones they have in stock.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
It usually takes a while for the iPhones to leave the factory and end up on the store shelves. Being that 1.1.1 was just released on the site a few days ago, its hard to believe it was out of QA and ready anytime before that.

That said, I would have to say most stores still do not have 1.1.1 on the phones they have in stock.
Because 1.1.1 was released to us just the other day, doesn't mean it wasn't RTM before that. I have heard of people buying 1.1.1 iPhones on Thursday.

--
Mike

macmanx1

Sep 10, 2007
Western Hemisphere, USA
You might want to wait just a few more weeks. Unofficially, I've heard from a good source that the 3G version is nearly ready for release. Then one will have a much better web surfing experience anywhere you are. It will relieve you from having to be at a Wi-Fi hotspot to have a decent experience on the web.

Rumor has it that the price will also be further reduced by $50. for the holiday selling season. This will make it a great deal!

This is one of the reasons I've sold my first iPhone, as the internet experience was (for me, at least) just to maddening due to the sluggishness. Then the voice was poor compared to my 3G phones, as 3G does indeed enhance voice quality, reduce background noise and provide a better range of volume adjustment. Currently I have four 3G phones all of which have great phone performance. So, it's worth waiting for Apple to bring the iPhone up to date. I'm remain amazed that they crippled the first version with out of date technology. Not typical for Apple.

whale_hunter

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
You might want to wait just a few more weeks. Unofficially, I've heard from a good source that the 3G version is nearly ready for release. Then one will have a much better web surfing experience anywhere you are. It will relieve you from having to be at a Wi-Fi hotspot to have a decent experience on the web.

Rumor has it that the price will also be further reduced by $50. for the holiday selling season. This will make it a great deal!

This is one of the reasons I've sold my first iPhone, as the internet experience was (for me, at least) just to maddening due to the sluggishness. Then the voice was poor compared to my 3G phones, as 3G does indeed enhance voice quality, reduce background noise and provide a better range of volume adjustment. Currently I have four 3G phones all of which have great phone performance. So, it's worth waiting for Apple to bring the iPhone up to date. I'm remain amazed that they crippled the first version with out of date technology. Not typical for Apple.
I live north of Chicago, and was just in Vegas. The internet works great everywhere I use it.
Also, if 3g eats the battery at the rate that WiFi does, then I am not sure I even want it.
When I was using Wifi in Vegas it was chomping my battery at a pretty nice clip.

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I live north of Chicago, and was just in Vegas. The internet works great everywhere I use it.
Also, if 3g eats the battery at the rate that WiFi does, then I am not sure I even want it.
When I was using Wifi in Vegas it was chomping my battery at a pretty nice clip.
True dat.

Wifi, bluetooth, and 3G all suck battery ass. Many of us Blackjack users were on the verge of doing a mass return of our phones because the battery life was a plate of ass. Then - ta da! - some enterprising mini hacker came up with a setting that would turn 3G off and on. Win Mobile, for whatever else you want to say about it, allowed me to create a shortcut that I could put on my home screen that would toggle 3G on and off. When not surfing the net, I would leave 3G off. I'd only turn it on to surf the web. It literally doubled or tripled my battery life.

I would jump on the 3G iPhone in a heartbeat, but ONLY if I could toggle 3G. The fact that I'm still waiting for an update that gives me the ability to put toggle switches on my iPhone homescreen for Wifi and bluetooth leaves me skeptical that I'll get it on the next iPhone. My experience with all my previous 3G phones has taught me that I *must* be able to toggle 3G if I wanna make it through a day on a single charge.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Bought mine yesterday with old firmware. But I updated it. I bought it at a small ATT&T store in Merritt Island, FL. They may have been sitting around there for a while. They seemed excited to sell it when I called to see if they were in stock.:laugh2: