If I lose iPhone, will finder gain access to my email?

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
This hasn't happened to me (knock on wood) but I was wondering if you lose your phone you obviously contact AT&T and have your service terminated but will whoever finds your phone still have access to the internet or more importantly your email?

Thanks

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
This hasn't happened to me (knock on wood) but I was wondering if you lose your phone you obviously contact AT&T and have your service terminated but will whoever finds your phone still have access to the internet or more importantly your email?

Thanks
I think you can remote wipe the phone through Apple.

From Apple.com http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/06/09iPhone.html

iPhone 3G includes the new iPhone 2.0 software with both the iPhone SDK and key enterprise features such as support for Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync to provide over-the-air push email, contact and calendar syncing as well as remote wipe and Cisco IPsec VPN for encrypted access to corporate networks.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
Ok thanks, like I said this has never happened to me but it would suck if you lost your phone and whoever found it had access to your email.

Thanks

ORGNL

Nov 16, 2008
I work at a Motel 6 and one of the maintenance guys found an iPhone
outside of a guest's room. He played with it for about a minute, but
then thought to himself he would be pissed if it was his and he lost it,
so he knocked on her door and gave it to her.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
My question is, what happens if you lose your phone and you DON'T have an Exchange account? Then what?

I think Apple should have a feature, that once you call in and prove ownership, they can send out the kill signal, without needing an Exchange account.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
yeah i wish there was a way to wipe without an exchange account

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
I use gmail so whatever I delete from my email address via pc it updates itself when the email icon is used.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
I can tell you first hand that you can get all of the persons email as long as they don't change there password. I bought an iPhone from a friend of mine and his sim card still works and he cancelled it over a week ago. I also get all of his emails but he changed his password and then it asked me for the new one which I obviously don't know. If something happens to your guys phone make sure you stay on top of AT&T because they haven't deactivated his yet.