If I Need to Exchange My Defective Phone...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
When I inquired about exchanging my supposedly defective iPhone she asked me "Do you still have the box?", I said "Yes", and she said "Great. Bring that in and we'll exchange it out for you". So I know for sure the box, and so I'd assume everything with it.

at an Apple store tomorrow what do I need to bring with me...everything? Or, do I just need the phone itself?

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
I'm an exchange vet (i'm on my third iPhone).

Step 1. Schedule an appointment at the genius bar at your local Apple store at Apple.com.

Step 2. Bring your box with everything in it (ubs cable, dock, wall outlet, ear buds).

Step 3. Bring your receipt

Step 4. Make sure the mac genius puts your old sim in your new iPhone

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
I'm an exchange vet (i'm on my third iPhone).
lolol I like that one.. are you serious 3 phone already? They are gunna get to the point where they know ya when you walk through door they got one sitting read for you..

What were the problems if you don't mind me asking? Just curious

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
Even if the receipt is from an AT&T store?

Couldn't hurt. My original iPhone was from the att store as well. At first Apple gave me a song and dance about having to exchange my iPhone at att instead. I told the mac genius i was talking to that it was made clear to me at the att store and everything i had read and researched to that point about the iPhone that Apple was responsible for iPhone support. So she went in the back for about five minutes (i assume to talk to a manager) and came back out with a new iPhone for me.

So if they give you this "its two different companies so we can't exchange it" crap, push harder and they'll probably give in. Or i guess you could go to the att store you bought it your phone at first and see if they'll exchange it, but i'd go with the Apple store, att employees for the most part a pretty clueless about the iPhone.

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
lolol I like that one.. are you serious 3 phone already? They are gunna get to the point where they know ya when you walk through door they got one sitting read for you..

What were the problems if you don't mind me asking? Just curious
Ha, it might get to that point--i hope this is my last one.

The first iPhone went crazy. First safari crashed all the time, then any internet app, then settings, then pretty much any app. Then the iPhone rebooted on its own and there was nothing on the screen but a yellow yield shaped sign with an "!" in it. Underneath the words "connect to iTunes". I connected to iTunes which prompted me that my iPhone was in recovery mode and i should restore it. So i tried once, twice, five times to restore it before it finally worked and the iPhone still crashed afterward and to top it off my contacts no longer showed up.

My second iPhone wasn't nearly as dramatic. I scraped a car in a parking garage and wanted to take a picture of the damage. I push camera app, iPhone reboots. Try again, same thing. Third time, same thing. I came home and restored the iPhone and the camera didn't crash anymore, but it also just showed a black screen instead of what was in front of the lense.

So here's hoping 3 is the charm.

clarntoon

Jul 13, 2007
returning mine this weekend. Speakers never activated. No ringing, no speakerphone, no audio unless it's through the buds.

Still, it's the coolest thing ever!

Sent from my iPhone
- Clarntoon

rwnewton

Jul 11, 2007
my exchange was very smooth and easy. bring your box and all original components. the box is important because they can scan the serial number to reassign your sim.