If I pay full price, do I have to sign a contract?

Sep 20, 2007
I was wondering if I am inelligible for the dicount price and have to pay full price then wouldn't it be my property and thereforee att couldn't tell me what to do with it, or can they still force me to sign a contract.

Last edited by a moderator:

RichR

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Well, if you have v1 iPhone already and have NOT upgraded to another AT&T phone from their website or their store, then you will be elligible. But if you have another phone other than the iPhone and you have upgraded to this phone recently, then you will most likly pay the un-decided extended price. I really cant see them over pricing the phone more than $200 of the current quoted prices. If they did, people will be cancelling their accounts and opening new ones to beat this. Plus, AT&T is pro-rated I believe which means your cancel fee is cheaper & cheaper with every 6 months that pass..? IE - 6 months into your contract a cancel fee would be $175, one year into contract, $100 cancel fee, etc, etc.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
No one really knows how it's going to go. Technically, you're right, if you were going to buy any other phone and full price it wouldn't affect your contract. However, this is Apple and the iPhone. Even if you pay full price AT&T may still make you sign a two year contract.

Joe

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
Well, if you have v1 iPhone already and have NOT upgraded to another AT&T phone from their website or their store, then you will be elligible. But if you have another phone other than the iPhone and you have upgraded to this phone recently, then you will most likly pay the un-decided extended price. I really cant see them over pricing the phone more than $200 of the current quoted prices. If they did, people will be cancelling their accounts and opening new ones to beat this. Plus, AT&T is pro-rated I believe which means your cancel fee is cheaper & cheaper with every 6 months that pass..? IE - 6 months into your contract a cancel fee would be $175, one year into contract, $100 cancel fee, etc, etc.
You can't just cancel your account and sign up again the next day. There is a lag period, something like 90 days, where you're still considered a customer. After this time has elapsed, you can start new and get all the new deals.

Also, the ETF is prorated on a monthly basis. Say you're cancellation fee is $240, it would go do $10 every month.

Joe

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I was wondering if I am inelligible for the dicount price and hav to pay full price then wouldn't it be my property and thereforee att couldn't tell me what to do with it, or can they still force me to sign a contract.
Everyone has to sign a contract. The contract is not for the phone, but for the phone number.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
Everyone has to sign a contract. The contract is not for the phone, but for the phone number.
I disagree. If AT&T makes you sign a contract for a phone that you're paying full price for, then it's most definitely for the phone. They don't do this with any other phone they sell.

Joe

ja_vo

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Atlanta, GA
:mad: I don't KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE TO SAY THIS. THERE WILL NOT BE A FULL PRICE FOR A DAMN iPhone, WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET. ATT NOR APPLE IS GOING TO MAKE YOU PAY MORE FOR THE iPhone. STOP THIS BS. :mad:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
:mad: I don't KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE TO SAY THIS. THERE WILL NOT BE A FULL PRICE FOR A DAMN iPhone, WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET. ATT NOR APPLE IS GOING TO MAKE YOU PAY MORE FOR THE iPhone. STOP THIS BS. :mad:

There's really no point in yelling. Especially when you're just guessing like everyone else is.

Just freakin' wait, folks...

ja_vo

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Ive called att like 10 times and everytime i cakll i get the same answer.

I cant stand ppl posting all this stuff that its not even true or they don't know anything about.

Just like you said RELAX PPL AND WAIT.

There's really no point in yelling. Especially when you're just guessing like everyone else is.

Just freakin' wait, folks...

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Yeah like Dave said there's no reason for yelling. And especially when you don't freakin know what you are talking about. AT&T has stated on more than one occasion that there will be a higher unsubsidized price as not everyone will qualify. They are not going to offer up a subsidized iPhone to someone who just bought a subsidized Tilt (just an example) a few months ago and then basically eat all that subsidized cost on a Tilt by selling you a subsidized iPhone. They make their money back on the plan over the course of the 2 year contract and if they let you flip and buy another subsidized phone they eat the cost. That's just not gonna happen, especially with a money grubbin company like AT&T.

here ya go (from DallasNews.com):

Update: Some current AT&T customers may have to pay extra to upgrade to 3G iPhone

Apologies all, but apparently AT&T didn't quite give me the full scoop when I originally asked them how current AT&T cell subscribers will be able to upgrade to the 3G iPhone.[/COLOR][/U][/URL]
Originally I was told that any current AT&T subscriber would be able to tear up their existing contract and buy the 3G iPhone for $199 or $299 with a new two-year contract.
But then tech blog commenter Jason pointed me to this Gizmodo post of an AT&T internal memo indicating that not all AT&T customers would qualify for the $199 or $299 prices

So I went back to AT&T for clarification, and here's what I was told:
Current 2G iPhone customers can upgrade to the 3G iPhone and pay $199 for the 8 GB model or $299 for the 16 GB version. They will need a new two-year contract.
If a current customer with another device (such as a RAZR, for example) is currently in a contract with AT&T and wishes to purchase the 3G iPhone, they will be able to do so by signing a new two-year contract with AT&T. However, these customers do need to be eligible for a handset upgrade under their current contract to be able to receive the $199 or $299 price on the 3G iPhone. If they are not eligible for an upgrade, they can still get the 3G iPhone if they sign up for a new two-year contract, which would take the place of their existing contract. The customer would not incur any early termination fees but would not receive the $199 or $299 price on the 3G iPhone. The price has not yet been determined.​
Bottom line: if you bought the 2G iPhone, my original post still stands, as you'll be able to tear up your old contract and buy the 3G iPhone for $199 or $299.
But if you're an AT&T customer with any other kind of phone and you are not eligible for a handset upgrade, you'll be able to tear up your old contract without an early termination fee, but you will have to pay extra for the 3G iPhone handset. How much extra, AT&T isn't saying yet.

AT&T's spokespeople themselves have admitted that there will be a higher unsubsidized cost but they have not yet determined the price, probably because they don't wanna shoot themselves in the foot and lose subscribers if they actually charge the full amount of what they paid Apple for it.

Oh yeah, and your sig is pretty ironic. You won't get any rep points anywhere if you always act like an ass like in your post.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Ive called att like 10 times and everytime i cakll i get the same answer.

I cant stand ppl posting all this stuff that its not even true or they don't know anything about.

Just like you said RELAX PPL AND WAIT.
by the way, most people in AT&T's CS don't know a damn thing about the details of it. Us that peruse everyone of the blogs out there know more than they do. And the ones that do know anything are told not to tell you anything until AT&T is ready to release the details officially to the public. Those who don't know anything are the ones who keep calling in 10 times to the CS people knowing damn well they can't tell you anything other than what's already been released in AT&T's press statement.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Damn, and along comes aggie with the straight scoop. :D

edit: and we think alike:

Look ja_vo I hear what you're saying about calling AT&T but you have to realize they raaarely know what they're talking about. Especially in regards to unreleased Apple product. It has been stated in many places (like that internal AT&T memo) that they do not know the unsubsidized price yet. But the mere fact that they mention one at all really points to its likelihood.

Misinformation goes both ways, my friend.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Damn, and along comes aggie with the straight scoop. :D

edit: and we think alike:

Look ja_vo I hear what you're saying about calling AT&T but you have to realize they raaarely know what they're talking about. Especially in regards to unreleased Apple product. It has been stated in many places (like that internal AT&T memo) that they do not know the unsubsidized price yet. But the mere fact that they mention one at all really points to its likelihood.

Misinformation goes both ways, my friend.
This is a big part of it. Alot of it has to do with Apple's secretive ways, although that doesn't have any effect on the pricing at this point as AT&T's setting the price on this one and Apple pretty much has no say. Also, most carrier branded devices such as the Tilt, Razr, Curve etc. always have details on the street before they are ever even announced. Nobody even knew for sure that the 3g iPhone was even going to be announced. Only the higher ups at AT&T can offer any info on the iPhone right now other than "Yeah the release date is July 11 and the lines will be long". Too many details still haven't been worked out to allow the common customer service worker to comment.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Only the higher ups at AT&T can offer any info on the iPhone right now other than "Yeah the release date is July 11 and the lines will be long"
You forgot the rest of the quote:

"And Napoleon_PhoneApart will be sleeping with his under his pillow on the night of the 12th." :laugh2:

ja_vo

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Oh man, Look my lil brother was on the computer and he was the one writing all this nasty crap on my name, i was on it and i had to go do some stuff and he was home and used it i guess. I am sorry if my name ja_vo pissed off anyone.

Yeah i agree with you here is what i said in my original post.
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/to-answer-a-few-questions.25948/
Just look for my name.

Again sorry for what my brother did. he is an ass.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Oh man, Look my lil brother was on the computer and he was the one writing all this nasty crap on my name, i was on it and i had to go do some stuff and he was home and used it i guess. I am sorry if my name ja_vo pissed off anyone.

Yeah i agree with you here is what i said in my original post.
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/to-answer-a-few-questions.25948/
Just look for my name.

Again sorry for what my brother did. he is an ass.
This sounds familiar...anyone else getting deja vu?

RichR

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
You can't just cancel your account and sign up again the next day. There is a lag period, something like 90 days, where you're still considered a customer. After this time has elapsed, you can start new and get all the new deals.

Also, the ETF is prorated on a monthly basis. Say you're cancellation fee is $240, it would go do $10 every month.

Joe
No, you don't cancel at the point of purchase. You open a NEW account under the same name to get the deals, then drop the other number the next day. I should know, I've done it! :) And the cancel fee at the earliest is $200 . I just called to confirm. I am 6 months into my contract from the point of re-signing for another NEW phone and my cancel fee as of right now is $175.

MrMciPhone

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
You guys clearly aren't using your brains. If Steve Jobs said the point of the "lower" price was to get more people to buy the phone, why would he make it more expensive than the previous iPhone? I don't see why he'd just make that up just to make it cost more unless he's trying to attract customers who don't currently own an iPhone. THINK GUYS, THINK!

MrMciPhone

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Yeah like Dave said there's no reason for yelling. And especially when you don't freakin know what you are talking about. AT&T has stated on more than one occasion that there will be a higher unsubsidized price as not everyone will qualify. They are not going to offer up a subsidized iPhone to someone who just bought a subsidized Tilt (just an example) a few months ago and then basically eat all that subsidized cost on a Tilt by selling you a subsidized iPhone. They make their money back on the plan over the course of the 2 year contract and if they let you flip and buy another subsidized phone they eat the cost. That's just not gonna happen, especially with a money grubbin company like AT&T.

here ya go (from DallasNews.com):

Update: Some current AT&T customers may have to pay extra to upgrade to 3G iPhone

Apologies all, but apparently AT&T didn't quite give me the full scoop when I originally asked them how current AT&T cell subscribers will be able to upgrade to the 3G iPhone.[/COLOR][/U][/URL]
Originally I was told that any current AT&T subscriber would be able to tear up their existing contract and buy the 3G iPhone for $199 or $299 with a new two-year contract.
But then tech blog commenter Jason pointed me to this Gizmodo post of an AT&T internal memo indicating that not all AT&T customers would qualify for the $199 or $299 prices

So I went back to AT&T for clarification, and here's what I was told:
Current 2G iPhone customers can upgrade to the 3G iPhone and pay $199 for the 8 GB model or $299 for the 16 GB version. They will need a new two-year contract.
If a current customer with another device (such as a RAZR, for example) is currently in a contract with AT&T and wishes to purchase the 3G iPhone, they will be able to do so by signing a new two-year contract with AT&T. However, these customers do need to be eligible for a handset upgrade under their current contract to be able to receive the $199 or $299 price on the 3G iPhone. If they are not eligible for an upgrade, they can still get the 3G iPhone if they sign up for a new two-year contract, which would take the place of their existing contract. The customer would not incur any early termination fees but would not receive the $199 or $299 price on the 3G iPhone. The price has not yet been determined.​
Bottom line: if you bought the 2G iPhone, my original post still stands, as you'll be able to tear up your old contract and buy the 3G iPhone for $199 or $299.
But if you're an AT&T customer with any other kind of phone and you are not eligible for a handset upgrade, you'll be able to tear up your old contract without an early termination fee, but you will have to pay extra for the 3G iPhone handset. How much extra, AT&T isn't saying yet.

AT&T's spokespeople themselves have admitted that there will be a higher unsubsidized cost but they have not yet determined the price, probably because they don't wanna shoot themselves in the foot and lose subscribers if they actually charge the full amount of what they paid Apple for it.

Oh yeah, and your sig is pretty ironic. You won't get any rep points anywhere if you always act like an ass like in your post.

This is a flatout lie. The 3G iPhones price change was to attract people to BUY their first iPhone not upgrade to their second one. If you listen to the Keynote, Jobs says that he asked people who did not have an iPhone wwhy they didn't have an iPhone and they responded that it was too expensive. Therefore, for these people to be able to afford the phone, he lowered the price. In there I don't see anywhere where he would make it cheaper for 2G owners. Dosen't make sense what you guys are arguing about...

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Okay then..what about people like me? I bought the iPhone on iDay and was using it up until a few months ago when I decided to buy the BlackBerry Curve. I still have the iPhone, and I didn't buy the BB Curve as an upgrade. I paid full price for mine. So would I be charged $299 or the TBD price?