If I pay full price, do I have to sign a contract?

RichR

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
I can see it now, iDay 2.0 is gonna be a MESS! I may just go and visit to see the fireworks!

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I disagree. If AT&T makes you sign a contract for a phone that you're paying full price for, then it's most definitely for the phone. They don't do this with any other phone they sell.

Joe
You have to sign a contract anytime unless you get a Go phone. Say you buy a phone off ebay for your son or daughter and want to activate the new line on your family plan, AT&T will make you sign a contract just for the new sim card. Just try to do it and you'll find out.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Okay then..what about people like me? I bought the iPhone on iDay and was using it up until a few months ago when I decided to buy the BlackBerry Curve. I still have the iPhone, and I didn't buy the BB Curve as an upgrade. I paid full price for mine. So would I be charged $299 or the TBD price?
It depends on whether you currently have the iPhone data plan still on your account. If you do have the original iPhone data plan, you will be able to upgrade without a problem. If you've already dropped the iPhone data plan, then it will be determined by your upgrade eligibility. Call AT&T customer service and see when you're eligible for an upgrade.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
It depends on whether you currently have the iPhone data plan still on your account. If you do have the original iPhone data plan, you will be able to upgrade without a problem. If you've already dropped the iPhone data plan, then it will be determined by your upgrade eligibility. Call AT&T customer service and see when you're eligible for an upgrade.
I think im on a BlackBerry Plan...if I changed back to an iPhone plan right now, do you think ill still have trouble getting the phone for $299?

kneshoba

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
Here is a bad scenario. Lets say you come from another provider and you have sub-average credit. AT&T will then charge you a deposit on top of the price for the phone, which a deposit could go form 300-800 dollars, that would suck.
But will the price of the phone be the $199,$299 range or the unknown prices we are waiting for.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Here is a bad scenario. Lets say you come from another provider and you have sub-average credit. AT&T will then charge you a deposit on top of the price for the phone, which a deposit could go form 300-800 dollars, that would suck.
But will the price of the phone be the $199,$299 range or the unknown prices we are waiting for.
The price will still be $199 and $299, but you will get hit with the deposit depending on your credit score.

little bob

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
:mad: I don't KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE TO SAY THIS. THERE WILL NOT BE A FULL PRICE FOR A DAMN iPhone, WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET. ATT NOR APPLE IS GOING TO MAKE YOU PAY MORE FOR THE iPhone. STOP THIS BS. :mad:
Yup, pretty simple. People are getting worried over nothing. Just call ATT and ask if your able to get the iPhone. They will tell you yes, "even if you just signed a contract", and will also tell you what it cost(200 or 300).

kneshoba

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
Price wise I can care less Heck I own a V1 I was at iDay I payed the asking price without flinching and I'm satisfied. enough said

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
This is a flatout lie. The 3G iPhones price change was to attract people to BUY their first iPhone not upgrade to their second one. If you listen to the Keynote, Jobs says that he asked people who did not have an iPhone wwhy they didn't have an iPhone and they responded that it was too expensive. Therefore, for these people to be able to afford the phone, he lowered the price. In there I don't see anywhere where he would make it cheaper for 2G owners. Dosen't make sense what you guys are arguing about...
ok let me put it in more elementary terms for you. HE is not setting the price for anything. This one is being subsidized by AT&T. The first iPhone wasn't. Therefore in order not to suffer backlash from v1 purchasers they are offering the new iPhone at the subsidized price that a new customer would get. Unlike say if you bought a tilt for the $299 subsidized price, AT&T is on the hook for a $250 subsidy because the tilt retails for 549 which is there cost from the manufacturer. Its a win win situation for them to let v1 owners upgrade at the subsidized price because they can renew them with a new 2 year contract and they aren't losing anything because there was no subsidy on the first phone. And before you spout out and call something a lie, its published everywhere. In an AT&T press release, from the internal memo that AT&T sent to managers which was posted on gizmodo that I linked to and the AT&T spokesperson confirmed it to our dallasnews.com tech writer here in Dallas who is very credible. Read son read. Research and don't think just because Jobs did not say it it can't be true. He was very vague and didn't even mention that this was a contract price and you can't leave the store without activating. At$t is running the show this time. Yes they subsidized the cost of the phone to make it appeal to more people with a cheaper up front cost. But the full retail cost for someone who is not a new customer or v1 iPhone customer will be full retail which is probably around the $399/$499 cost of current iPhones. Your two posts make it appear you done understand carrier subsided costs vs full retail and how upgrade eligibility affects which price you pay. I suggest you google that and do some research on engadget, gizmodo and other sites for details on the new iPhone price eligibility.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
It's pretty easy really. Log into www.wireless.att.com and check your upgrade status. If you are eligible for an upgrade with a new two year agreement, you are eligible for the $199/299 price.
This is partially true. Not all v1 owners online acct will say they are eligible but at has already stated that original iPhone customers in good standing will be eligible regardless on how long they have had a contract. Again that's where the first phone being unsubsidized comes into play

MrMciPhone

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
ok let me put it in more elementary terms for you. HE is not setting the price for anything. This one is being subsidized by AT&T. The first iPhone wasn't. Therefore in order not to suffer backlash from v1 purchasers they are offering the new iPhone at the subsidized price that a new customer would get. Unlike say if you bought a tilt for the $299 subsidized price, AT&T is on the hook for a $250 subsidy because the tilt retails for 549 which is there cost from the manufacturer. Its a win win situation for them to let v1 owners upgrade at the subsidized price because they can renew them with a new 2 year contract and they aren't losing anything because there was no subsidy on the first phone. And before you spout out and call something a lie, its published everywhere. In an AT&T press release, from the internal memo that AT&T sent to managers which was posted on gizmodo that I linked to and the AT&T spokesperson confirmed it to our dallasnews.com tech writer here in Dallas who is very credible. Read son read. Research and don't think just because Jobs did not say it it can't be true. He was very vague and didn't even mention that this was a contract price and you can't leave the store without activating. At$t is running the show this time. Yes they subsidized the cost of the phone to make it appeal to more people with a cheaper up front cost. But the full retail cost for someone who is not a new customer or v1 iPhone customer will be full retail which is probably around the $399/$499 cost of current iPhones. Your two posts make it appear you done understand carrier subsided costs vs full retail and how upgrade eligibility affects which price you pay. I suggest you google that and do some research on engadget, gizmodo and other sites for details on the new iPhone price eligibility.
I still don't see why he'd make it cheaper for current 2G owners, I feel like they're the only ones who should be paying the most. But besides my opinion tell me if I am eligible: I bought the iPhone on iDay and activated my line on like July 3rd 2007. Some kid stole my iPhone at the gym a month ago and currently I have the cheapest phone AT&T offers until the 3G iPhone comes out. Can I still get the 3G 16GB iPhone for $299?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I still don't see why he'd make it cheaper for current 2G owners, I feel like they're the only ones who should be paying the most. But besides my opinion tell me if I am eligible: I bought the iPhone on iDay and activated my line on like July 3rd 2007. Some kid stole my iPhone at the gym a month ago and currently I have the cheapest phone AT&T offers until the 3G iPhone comes out. Can I still get the 3G 16GB iPhone for $299?
I think so. I called AT&T and they said if you bought the iPhone on iDay and you didn't upgrade to another phone you can. Did you get your phone with an upgrade or no upgrade? (The cheap one)

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
again, this iPhone is subsidized, it is not a cheaper phone. The carrier subsidy is one reason the data plan is going back up. I paid 600 for my original iPhone which att did not discount to us. Now a bigger and better one comes out and its discounted (subsidized) by the carrier. They would not wanna piss off millions of subscribers whom they just screwed. Technically when buying an unsubsidized phone we should have had no contract obligation period.

As for your situation I think you should be fine but I would ask att on that one. Its not your fault they didn't offer insurance on em. Hopefully they do this time around.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Would you people start listening to Aggie? Dude knows what he's talking about, and every time he has to school y'all, he's doing it via T9, the poor SOB! Take it easy on him!

:D

MrMciPhone

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
again, this iPhone is subsidized, it is not a cheaper phone. The carrier subsidy is one reason the data plan is going back up. I paid 600 for my original iPhone which att did not discount to us. Now a bigger and better one comes out and its discounted (subsidized) by the carrier. They would not wanna piss off millions of subscribers whom they just screwed. Technically when buying an unsubsidized phone we should have had no contract obligation period.

As for your situation I think you should be fine but I would ask att on that one. Its not your fault they didn't offer insurance on em. Hopefully they do this time around.
To Saverino: No, I didn't use an upgrade to buy the phone, I just paid $40 for the cheap phone. And to last replier: I bought mine for $600 too and I know that wasn't subsidized, but if I have proof of me owning the iPhone from iDay, I should be fine right?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
To Saverino: No, I didn't use an upgrade to buy the phone, I just paid $40 for the cheap phone. And to last replier: I bought mine for $600 too and I know that wasn't subsidized, but if I have proof of me owning the iPhone from iDay, I should be fine right?
Either way, in your case, I think your gonna be fine...just like Aggie said ^ there.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Would you people start listening to Aggie? Dude knows what he's talking about, and every time he has to school y'all, he's doing it via T9, the poor SOB! Take it easy on him!

:D
LOL I thought I told ya. I got an 8gb iPhone Tuesday for 140. A few scratches on the back but has a black incase slider case to cover it up. I guess the poor guy thought it was devalued to nothing now that the new one "costs $199".
once people find out the 3g isn't as cheap as it sounds and all the activation restrictions the v1 will sell like hotcakes. I'll probably sell it off for 325 and walk into the Apple store and get my 3g and keep my n95 as well

kunfuzious

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Boulder
This is partially true. Not all v1 owners online acct will say they are eligible but at has already stated that original iPhone customers in good standing will be eligible regardless on how long they have had a contract. Again that's where the first phone being unsubsidized comes into play

I agree, however I stand by what I said as enitrely true.If you are eligible for a new two agreement (V1 users included with non-V1 users who are eligible) you get the cheaper price. Simple as that.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I agree, however I stand by what I said as enitrely true.If you are eligible for a new two agreement (V1 users included with non-V1 users who are eligible) you get the cheaper price. Simple as that.
So are you saying that V1 users are not automatically eligible? That's conflicting with everything that's out there including what AT&T spokespeople have already said.

I actually went in to the AT&T store and talked to my rep there and from what he told me I am eligible. I went from iPhone to Tilt (which I paid full retail for-not the subsidized price since I didn't qualify) to Nokia N95, and now back to iPhone. He said that all iPhone customers qualify, regardless of the term left on contract (pay as you go iPhoners will have to apply for credit since pay as you go is no longer offered with iPhone and they may or may not be qualified to buy it at the low price or even at the unsubsidized price).