If I Reset the iPhone, Do I Lose Data?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Azteka

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
The 707
My iPhone doesn't charge via the wall outlet, as i read in another post, the only thing u can do is to reset your iPhone.....and if u do this all your settings videos music....etc...will be deleted right?

Last edited by a moderator:

dsuppa

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
New Jersey
www.dfsdesigns.com
My iPhone doesn't charge via the wall outlet, as i read in another post, the only thing u can do is to reset your iPhone.....and if u do this all your settings videos music....etc...will be deleted right? :eek:
Theres a difference between reset and restore. If you restore you will be setting your iPhone back to the way it got right out of the box. Reset will not wipe out your data.

aziphone

Jul 5, 2007
I you do a reset from the General Settings menu it will not wipe out data, but it will erase seeting such as weather, stock, clock, and any wifi log-on settings. How do I know this, I just did it.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
exactly reset does not wipe anything out don't worry. if you had an ipod before its the same as when you reset your ipod by holding the center and play buttons. doing a reset just kinda clears some stress off the iPhone and is the solution to several problems ive had and many others thats what its for.
edit the reset im talking about is the one you get by holding the sleep/wake button andh ome for about 8 seconds

eric1952

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
reset 0r restore ?

My iPhone doesn't charge via the wall outlet, as i read in another post, the only thing u can do is to reset your iPhone.....and if u do this all your settings videos music....etc...will be deleted right? :eek:
To reset your iPhone hold your sleep and home button down for 10 seconds.there will be NO DATA LOST.To restore your iPhone to the same thing for 25 seconds this will clear all data and make the phone factory fresh.

paulomb

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
Monterrey, MX
To reset your iPhone hold your sleep and home button down for 10 seconds.there will be NO DATA LOST.To restore your iPhone to the same thing for 25 seconds this will clear all data and make the phone factory fresh.

whay if I do restore and have an UNLOCKED phone? do Ihave to jailbrake/unlock it again? will the phone brick? or it will just erase everything but still unlocked to use an t.mobile SIM?

thanks!

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
A reset will wipe out your cookies, right?

That sounds like data loss to me. I can't stand having to delete cookies. Then I have to retype login names and passwords and such and stuff like that.

How about open webpages? I have some that I'm not going to be ready to close for some time. Will a reset close all of those?

OHHHH MANNNNNNN! THIS was my 500th post? I was saving that one for something special.

dam.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
A reset will not wipe out your cookies! The iPhone is a computer, sure it's not as big, nor has fans or a big hard drive, but it's still a computer. It has an operating system that must be booted to. A reset does a reset just like OS X or windows does. The "added stress" is accumulation of dump files, memory leaks, and other such no sense from bad code. A reset once in a while is actually good for any machine since it clears out the memory to scratch. so in other words lie a computer you won't lose information with a simple reset

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
isn't that just a shutdown? What's the difference between shutting down (holding down the unlock button and sliding to power off) vs. resetting (holding the unlock and home buttons down for 8 seconds?) If I reset, will the 9 windows that i have open in Safari close?

I really think you are confusing the word. A hard I'd* soft reset on a computer restarts the computer, as if it was shut down and booted back up. But a reset on the iPhone does more, right? It actually, well, resets some settings. And it shuts the phone down, right? That's not the same as a computer reset. It does more.

*Dammit, i wrote "or" nit id. Stupid aurocorrevting spellchrck sxrews rverything up.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
No a reset and a shutdown are the same thing. Some pieces of hardware today like routers when you do a "hard reset" actually change all the internal variables back to factory settings. The iPhone IS a computer thus a reset does not actually "reset" any settings only a restore will.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
If a reset and a shutdown are the same thing then why does the iPhone have both? Why does a reset take longer to do (8 seconds vs. 4)? On a computer a reset is more convenient than a shutdown and restart (just a press of the reset button). But on the iPhone, it’s less convenient.

They can’t be the same thing: 1) Reset and Shutdown can’t be the same thing on the iPhone. 2) And a reset on the iPhone can’t be the same thing as a reset on a computer.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
If a reset and a shutdown are the same thing then why does the iPhone have both? They can't be the same thing.
They effectively do the same thing. The shutdown option obviously shuts down the phone indiffinatley while the restart is there incase you freeze the iPhone so hard that it doesn't respond to the shutdown option. It works jus like a laptop or home computer when you hold down the power button. A piece of harware FORCES the phone to lose power.

they are the same and there is a purpose for each

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Ok. I'm convinced. Thanks.

Although, I've tried resetting my iPhone by holding the lock/unlock button down for 8 seconds... I tried up to about 12 seconds... and it didn't do anything. At 4 seconds it displayed the "slide to power off" slide, but it never reset.

I guess if it doesn't need to be reset that's the only option it gives you?

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
you need to hold down the sleep/wake button AND the home button for about 10 seconds. Just holding the sleep/wake won't do anything. ;)