if i return my 4gig, do i get a 8gig?

Domin8stang

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
I got a 4gig on I-day and lately its been really buggy and acting funny quitting programs and stuff all the time. If i return it do i get a 8 gig now or a 4 gig?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
If you are replacing it, you should get a 4 gig. If you want an 8 gig, you'll have to pay the difference.

- John

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Yeah I'm pretty sure John is right on this one, you have to pay the difference to make the upgrade.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I have a 4g and 2 weeks ago I had a problem with the top half of the touch screen not working. When I went to the Genius Bar it was replaced by a 4g in a box. I asked what happens if they run out of 4g's for people having problems. He told me not to worry there were plenty of 4 g's they have for replacements. I guess a lot of them are problem ones that were refurbished although he said I was getting a brand new one, but I am not sure I did because the battery had usuage on it when I used it the first time. Eventually though( 6 months) a lot of warrenties will run out and they won't need to replace as many 4g's. They are real confident they will have enough 4g's for replacement. At least thats what my "genius" told me.
I was hoping they wouldn't have any in stock and I could pay the difference for the 8g but they said I couldn't do that, it had to be exchanged with the same, that goes for ipod's too (i.e. if you have a white and they only have black instock they will not exchange it, it has to be same color too).
They told me if the Apple store doesn't have a 4g to exchange with yours in that case they said you would have to go through the 800 number and exchange it by mail, and if I had a problem in the future to call ahead to make sure they had 4g available for exchange at that store.
This was my experience, I have come to learn different Apple stores handle things in different ways, but IMHO generally I don't think you will get an 8g unless you buy it.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
wait... is that true? can i go to the Apple store and upgrade my 4 gig and pay the difference? id like to do this if this is true.. thanks

sl0ppyshat

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
yes...they will never run out of 4 gigs. They will just take your broken one and refurb and back out to someone else

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
They will send you a refurbed iPhone. Sometimes Applecare and Manufacturers alike will tell you you are receiving a brand new unit and are either embarrased to admit or just tired of listening to people complaining about refurbs. They are in fact refurbished, everything that Applecare sends out.