if i use categories can i get around only 9 pages of apps?

Nov 24, 2007
if i use categories can i get around only having 9 pages of apps?

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
only 9 pages for me :S and i use 3, why can't it be endless?

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Excuse me for being dumb, but what are you talking about with apps in categories? Thanks.

itsnowornever

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
Cali Baby!
Excuse me for being dumb, but what are you talking about with apps in categories? Thanks.
On Jaiolbroken phones there is an option for a program that puts your apps in "catagories" you can make specific files (ie: games) and put apps in folders cleaning up your phones appearance.

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Or doingit yourself. Games with games. Util with utils

Kevio

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
Rachet City
No. Your phone is still limited to the 9 pages of apps.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well, theoretically, you could have 9 pages of categories filled with 16 apps each. That could be up to 2304 apps or the equivalent of 144 home pages. If you fill that up, you have some serious issues, my friend.

Kevio

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
Rachet City
When categories was first released (for 2.0) and user had a question and then it was answered by Bigboss. I wanted to make sure I was correct in saying that you are still limited to 9 pages of apps which is 144 apps, and from what Bigboss said, this is correct.

User: "....I have 9 pages of apps(games, applications, etc) so thats why I was wondering if there was a limit..when you say the springboard limit, isn't the springboard limit 9 pages..thats more then 512 apps...."

Bigboss: "Yes. The springboard limit will be hit way before the category folder limit.
The icon issue is that springboard auto rounds edges of square icons. Categories does not. So some icons are square. It’s not a huge issue but I will see what can be done. Perhaps supporting winterboard theme icons in a future version will be good enough if I cant solve it."

EDIT: the User mentions 512 apps because thats how many apps can be put into one categories folder.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
EDIT: the User mentions 512 apps because thats how many apps can be put into one categories folder.
Whoa, I didn't know that. Well, my math is conservative then. Suffice to say, you can sport a ton of apps with categories installed.

Kevio

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
Rachet City
Whoa, I didn't know that. Well, my math is conservative then. Suffice to say, you can sport a ton of apps with categories installed.
I'm sorry, my ramblings aren't making any sense at all. What I'm trying to say is that you are still limited by the 9 page (144 apps) that the springboard allows. However, the categories app has the ability to support up to 512 apps in one folder. Regardless of how many apps that categories can support, we are still limited to the springboards 144 applications.

Nov 24, 2007
i had 5 in the dock & 9 full pages , with more apps not been showing... i deleted 1 app from the 9th page(144), and anotherone appeared after i restarted my phone.. so i think i got u guys tho 144 well 149(total) max ? with or without categories installed?

Kevio

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
Rachet City
Yeah 148 counting the dock icons (149 if you have a 5 icon dock.) The iPhone OS limits us to this many apps so I don't see us being able to have any more apps than this. Although I don't see why you would want more than 149 apps at a given time :D

Naki

Jan 30, 2009
Very very wrong. You can have thousands of apps with Categories. Also, with 5 icon springboard the meaningless Apple limit becomes 180. I have over 200 apps, no problem. You can get this with ONE icon if you wish. Or even no icons (doubt anyone would go that route though, but it IS doable). You can have multiple, nested categories. So, you can have 10 (or more) categories, each with 10 (or more) subcategories, each with 512 apps, figure it out, over 50000!.

Just use Categories, 5 icon springboard, Poof, QuickGold and a couple of other progs and your set.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
You can, and you will be able to get more than 9 pages. But expect your iPhone to keep lagging for no reason.

Naki

Jan 30, 2009
Works pretty well so far on my iPod Touch 1st Gen...

moppsy

Jul 31, 2007
NJ
I have almost 300 apps on the iPhone, all accessible with categories.
The only lag I have is when opening the categories folders.

Be prepared for a lot of pain setting up your folders.
The app crashes the phone after you insert a couple of apps, sometimes while browsing icons.
If your unlucky, like I've been plenty, it will spit the apps back to the springboard while still in categories folders.

Also, app icons in folders are square, do not show a badge and have no visual launch feedback.

Categories sucks.