If I want to update my jailbroken iPhone 4?

keychains

Aug 15, 2010
Should i restore it, then update it, then Re-Jailbreak it. Or should i just update it and then re jailbreak it, because i heard if you update a Ipod thats jailbroken, the memory that the jailbroke took will still be taken but the jailbreak will be gone, HELP

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
I have the same questions. What is the best process for doing an update, rejailbreaking and restoring all jailbroken apps and functions

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Hit the restore button in iTunes. That will remove the jailbreak and update the phone to the latest firmware. Jailbreak again after the 4.1 jailbreak is released. Then reinstall all your jailbroken apps. If you rely on an unlock or can't live without the jailbreak, wait to update.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
Hit the restore button in iTunes. That will remove the jailbreak and update the phone to the latest firmware. Jailbreak again after the 4.1 jailbreak is released. Then reinstall all your jailbroken apps. If you rely on an unlock or can't live without the jailbreak, wait to update.
Do you restore as new or as a new phone? Will PkgBackup reinstall all your JB apps for you?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That's your choice. I restored from backup. If you experience any problems, you can always go back and restore to factory settings at that time. Just be sure to remove your carrier logo and themes prior to creating your last backup before the restore. I don't think the restoration part of PkgBackup is iOS 4 compatable.

Yes, Chronus (Cydia app) will back up the state of your stock apps. You have to jailbreak to restore them to their backed up state, though. I'm not sure if it is iOS 4 compatable.

verbalj

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
NYC
I had to restore recently and chose to restore from a backup. All my info was there, but the jailbreak was gone.

It bumped me up to 4.0.2 (4.1 wasn't released yet), but because I can't live without my jailbreak, I downgraded to 4.0.1 and re-jailbroke.

Chex

Dec 17, 2008
PA
Uninstall 5 icon dock and columns as well if doing a restore, they cause missing icons.
Tho they can usually be recovered with hard reboot or sync.