If I'm jailbroken, does it mean my iPhone is unlocked?

jerrettpaul

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Denton, TX
Here is my question,

I have used apptapp to jailbreak my phone. i have some third party apps on there such as NES emulator and mobileRSS. does this mean that my phone is unlocked, or does "unlock" mean that the phone has been unlocked and can be used with another phone?

Does jailbreaking brick your phone during the restore?

some idiot at the Applestore told me these third party apps don't void your warranty and cant mess up your phone, if i wouldve known this was going to happen, i wouldve never done that.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
In a nutshell, you must Restore your iPhone when prompted after you elect to install the upgrade.

Do Not select the upgrade button, you must select Restore And Upgrade. Got that? Otherwise you will run in to problems later which will require you to, you guessed it, Restore anyway...

Restoring puts your iPhone back to factory defaults, completely wiping out all of your mods. Apple does not intend to slap your wrist for using mods, they simply stated that they can't be blamed if their updates "break" them, which this one does, the previous didn't.

Apple did however state that people who have "Unlocked" their phones risk them becoming bricks, which they have. Do not confuse "Unlocked" with a phone that has been "Jailbroken." An "Unlocked" phone refers to a phone that has been modified to use other SIM cards such as T-Mobile instead of AT&T. The Guy at the Apple store was basically referring to a phone thats just running native 3rd party apps, aka "Jailbroken."

Restore, update, the end.

FYI - You will lose all your apps/mods/ringtones with 1.1.1 and there is no new jailbreak or apptap which addresses this issue yet.

aaiphone

Sep 21, 2007
so you think i have nothing to worry about? it will restore first and THEN update?
You have nothing to worry about... I had 3rd party apps installed and did the update... the only bad thing is you loose all of those 3rd party apps and all of your custom non iTunes ringtones... bummer... until someone cracks the new firmware...

entong

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
You have nothing to worry about... I had 3rd party apps installed and did the update... the only bad thing is you loose all of those 3rd party apps and all of your custom non iTunes ringtones... bummer... until someone cracks the new firmware...
does the phone still working using other sim card non att?:)

ZodiacfreaK

Bronze
Jan 11, 2007
he was never using a non-att sim card. He had not unlocked his iPhone, only modded it. If you have unlocked your iPhone this update will brick it.

MotoGreg

Aug 27, 2007
Both my wife and my iPhones are on 1.0.2 and our iTunes is version 7.4.1.2 and both phones have mods (but not unlocked)

I don't want to upgrade (for now at least) to 1.1.1 so how do I keep that from happening? How does the phone get updated to 1.1.1? If I dock my phone and sync it will it update without asking me? If I keep rejecting the iTunes updates and stay on 7.4.1.2 then am I safe?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
It will only ask you when it checks on the days that iTunes says it will make its next update checkup. Just click No :)